Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '20 Limited is in for service and I have a '23 Onyx as a loaner. The one thing I noticed immediately when driving the '23 is how smooth the acceleration is between 0 - 30 or so, whereas my '20 seems somewhat 'unsmooth'. Don't know how else to describe it. When I got the '20 (about 5 months ago) I had come from driving Hondas for the last 25 years, so I just thought that this feel was a function of now driving a different brand. So that's why I'm questioning if there are differences in the powertrain between the '20 and '23.

Thanks.

· Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really, the tuning for the 23 is probably better based on feedback from customers and dealers, but mechanically they are identical.
Interesting. After I posted the question I was poking around the forum for any similar questions/complaints and I found something regarding the accelerator design and about keeping your toe/ball around the 1/3 mark of the pedal (from the bottom). I'm wondering if because I didn't spend any time adjusting the seat position in the loaner that perhaps my foot position is now 'better' than in my own car. When I get mine back (hopefully today) I'll pay attention to where my foot falls in it and see if an adjustment is needed and if so, if it makes a difference.

· Registered
2023 Limited pkg 23
1,262 Posts
I do not believe that there is a difference between the engine or transmission - in the programming, maybe. My 2023 drives much better than my 2019 did in that low-speed 0-30mph acceleration zone. My 2019 used to bog down like it upshifted too soon.

My 2023 also doesn't chirp nearly as often from R to D as my 2019 did. I have heard it very faintly only on colder mornings. The 2019 would do it every day in any weather.

· Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
1,096 Posts
My '20 Limited is in for service and I have a '23 Onyx as a loaner. The one thing I noticed immediately when driving the '23 is how smooth the acceleration is between 0 - 30 or so, whereas my '20 seems somewhat 'unsmooth'. Don't know how else to describe it. When I got the '20 (about 5 months ago) I had come from driving Hondas for the last 25 years, so I just thought that this feel was a function of now driving a different brand. So that's why I'm questioning if there are differences in the powertrain between the '20 and '23.

Thanks.
There have been recalls for the earlier models. Transmission programming, an improved transmission wiring harness, and maybe others. Check your VIN to see if all the recalls have been done. Do you have the "mysubaru" app? If so you can also check there for outstanding recalls.

· Administrator
13,264 Posts
CVT is the same. Engine is the same. Harness and programming are different. Toe on pedal, foot angled (heel to toe) from left to right, is appropriate on all modern Subies (and more importantly on the Ascent's twitchier pedal).

· Registered
69 Posts
CVT is the same. Engine is the same. Harness and programming are different. Toe on pedal, foot angled (heel to toe) from left to right, is appropriate on all modern Subies (and more importantly on the Ascent's twitchier pedal).
Just out of curiosity, when they do software updates on older Ascents, does it make them closer to newer models, or it is mainly bugfixes?
How about electronics (e.g. CVT controller, ECU, infotainment etc...)? are they also all different?

· Registered
1,096 Posts
Just out of curiosity, when they do software updates on older Ascents, does it make them closer to newer models, or it is mainly bugfixes?
How about electronics (e.g. CVT controller, ECU, infotainment etc...)? are they also all different?
There are some mechanical updates, like the wiring harness for the CVT, but mostly software updates/fixes. No new features are added AFAIK.

· Registered
613 Posts
If your early model Ascent bogs while accelerating to 30 mph, check to make sure the TSB or recall (can't remember which it was), was performed. After the dealer reprogrammed my transmission, the acceleration was much smoother. Before that, it would accelerate from a stop, then there'd be a bit of a hesitation as if the power dropped a bit, and then it would accelerate again. The reprogramming pretty much eliminated that issue.

· Registered
17 Posts
Is the TR690 in the new WRX?
These guys think it is the best implementation of a CVT they have ever driver.
1:15 to 1:40 is the customization. 6:25 to 6:45 on their overall thoughts
Not sure why Subaru just doesn't offer the same customization on the Ascent as what they do in the WRX, looks like it would be a home-run

· Administrator
13,264 Posts
Yes the 2022 WRX's SPT is part of the TR690 lineup.

· Registered
1,096 Posts
I'm waiting for the 2024 "Ascent Sport or Wilderness Edition" with a few more ponies and the SPT CVT, free flow exhaust, blackout trim, and black 18" wheels with Wildpeak AT's as standard. (y)

· Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,279 Posts
Not sure why Subaru just doesn't offer the same customization on the Ascent as what they do in the WRX, looks like it would be a home-run
The reason is likely that the market for that is so small...the majority of performance buyers/enthusiasts are not looking for a two and a quarter ton brick on wheels. :) :D

· Registered
1,096 Posts
The reason is likely that the market for that is so small...the majority of performance buyers/enthusiasts are not looking for a two and a quarter ton brick on wheels. :) :D
I wonder what the market % is with the current Sport & Wilderness models?

· Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,279 Posts
I wonder what the market % is with the current Sport & Wilderness models?
Anecdotally, they seem to be doing well for both Forester and Outback. I think there are folks who want that for Ascent, but not sure if Subaru will bite on that based on our insiders' previous comments on that.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

· Registered
2023 Ascent Touring / 2020 Forester Touring
1,015 Posts
Is the TR690 in the new WRX?
These guys think it is the best implementation of a CVT they have ever driver.
1:15 to 1:40 is the customization. 6:25 to 6:45 on their overall thoughts
For starters WRX is 1200lb lighter with smaller tire diameter and will not officially tow 6000 lb...
you can program a lot of abuse in to (WRX spt) before you kill it..

· Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If your early model Ascent bogs while accelerating to 30 mph, check to make sure the TSB or recall (can't remember which it was), was performed. After the dealer reprogrammed my transmission, the acceleration was much smoother. Before that, it would accelerate from a stop, then there'd be a bit of a hesitation as if the power dropped a bit, and then it would accelerate again. The reprogramming pretty much eliminated that issue.
What you’re describing there sounds like what I’m experiencing. I had the vehicle back for a few days and while I paid closer attention to foot position on the accelerator, I don’t think that’s the entire solution. As for the recall or service bulletin, the my Subaru app only shows 2 recalls, the heater bolt from last week and a cvt chain case from the previous owner. I know there have been other recalls on the vehicle so I don’t know why they don’t show up. I’m picking it up from the dealer tomorrow (audio amp they couldn’t do last week) and I’ll be bringing it back again next week because they found a leaking oil switch :( So I’ll ask about the programming and see what they have to say.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts