Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,111 Posts
Sorry if this was answered somewhere else but I wasn't able to find it to meet my question.

Since the oem hitch and ball is 6" drop, can I just get a curt 6" drop like this?https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001GMXRC4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_a2zLFb6MAC1DJ

I already have a 2" drop. I don't feel like spending 100+ for an OEM if aftermarket will do the job.

Thanks
Yes, but is 6" the correct drop for your trailer? Have you measured the coupler height of your level trailer? The Curt site has a guide to measuring and selecting the proper drop or rise.

I'm using the 4" drop version of that Curt ball mount for my boat trailer. Just be aware that there's only one hitch pin hole and it doesn't "seat" the stinger as far into the receiver as it possibly could. (my Reese 2" drop has 2 pin holes and it tucks the ball closer to the receiver but it isn't the right height for my trailer) My boat has less than 300# tongue weight, but if I had a heavier tongue weight I would consider shortening the stinger end and re-drilling the pin hole to "tuck" the ball closer to the receiver.

Edit: I just noticed that you have the Class IV version (10,000#) and want to make sure that you know that it won't increase your weight capacity. The Ascent's 500# tongue weight is the limiting factor so save the $$$ and get the Class III version of whichever mount you purchase.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a trailer but I may need to rent a trailer every so often for hauling so I don't know the exact height world be at the moment.

I'm just trying to prepare ahead but I would guess that's a bad idea.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,111 Posts
I don't have a trailer but I may need to rent a trailer every so often for hauling so I don't know the exact height world be at the moment.

I'm just trying to prepare ahead but I would guess that's a bad idea.
See my edit above. Most of the rental trailers seem to be pretty low profile so a 6" drop as a handy occasional use is probably fine. More care is needed if the trailer is heavily loaded and a long trip. I've never towed a rental more than 50 miles but we've all seen uhauls everywhere on the interstates.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See my edit above. Most of the rental trailers seem to be pretty low profile so a 6" drop as a handy occasional use is probably fine. More care is needed if the trailer is heavily loaded and a long trip. I've never towed a rental more than 50 miles but we've all seen uhauls everywhere on the interstates.
Thanks for the response. I'll get one then. Maybe just I'll use it once every two years if that.

The 2" I have night be too tall for the Ascent.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
FWIW: If you need one quickly, reasonably priced appropriately rated ball mounts of various drops can be found at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, U-Haul, etc.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,853 Posts
A 6" ball mount will provide an approximate 18-19" ball height with the Ascent's OEM hitch receiver. That's fine for most small rental trailers including those from UHaul. But it's always important to have a ball mount that provides a generally level stance for the trailer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Since you will probably rent a trailer at the same location everytime, why not take an hour to go to the renting place with your Suraru hitch and ball on and find out exactly the + or - in height you wish to account for if needed?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts