Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the boards and found one thread, but it was a bit old and I'm curious to hear new opinions, and to see if any have changed.

I'm about to order an Ascent - but I'm down to Touring versus Limited.

From what I've discovered, the following are *only* available on the Touring, and can't be added to the Limited via "upgrades":

Rain sensing wipers
120 volt outlet
Cooled front seats
Front camera
Smart mirror
smart rearview camera
upgraded steering wheel
Cosmetic finishes inside / outside (chrome, wood, etc. - I don't really care about those particular cosmetics either way)

Also - still only the brown leather in the Touring. I'm just...not in love with the brown. I know some love it, but I'm not sold yet. I'm sure it would grow on me if I go with Touring. And there is always the crazy option of "have a custom shop put in whatever you want"! (Kidding. Kind of. I wonder how much that would cost...)

I'm coming from my much loved 2007 GMC Acadia, dark grey with the ivory leather, and even though that ivory is starting to show its age, I still love it :)

Configured as I would order them, I have my Touring at $47, 836 and my Limited at $45,236.

I just came back from driving a Touring model, and loved it.

I probably should also have jumped in a Limited, but I was short on time - so I'm trying to figure out how the rear cameras differ. And I understand the front camera thing isn't available on the Limited.

What has everyone decided? Are you happy with that?

Originally I was going to wait for the 2020s to see if some additional options were available for the Limited (I'd really like black or grey leather....), but circumstances have changed and I can't really wait another year to buy a new car.

If it matters, I drive cars until they stop working, so resale doesn't really matter to me. Long term happiness does though!

Thanks in advance for any / all input! :smile:

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Comparing Trims...

• The Touring has TWO rear cameras.
  • The smart rearview camera isn't available on the Limited, so, there's no cameras there to compare. It shows you the same view as the rear view mirror, meaning it is not intended to be used as a back up camera, but is intended for use if the car is too packed to see out the back using the mirror.
  • The reverse backup camera is something else entirely, and has a drastically different view. It's standard and identical on all trim levels. It shows a 180° view that even shows your bumper edges, as well as shows what you're nearing or going to hit.
  • In conjunction with the reverse camera, the Reverse Automatic Braking system is optional on the Premium, and standard on the Limited and Touring, and prevents you from hitting things behind you. The RAB system is identical in all trims it comes on.
  • The power is identical on all trim levels.
  • The Limited and Touring have near identical road feels, and can be configured to within 5 pounds curb weight of each other. Since they ride on the same 20" tires, the road feel is the same. Lower trims ride on the 18" tires and have a softer feeling ride.
  • Yes, the colors you saw are still the colors for each trim, and that will probably not change during this model year.
  • The Touring seats are not just heated. The fronts have air "blowers" in them for cooling, that pull ambient air through them. No other trim level can get those.
  • Your seating options, as you likely noted, are 7 passenger only, Java Brown Leather only.

You can see the full comparison here:
https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/ascent/models.html/ASC-compare-wrapper-modal

PERSONALLY:
I am glad I got the Touring, but others are quite happy with the Limited and Premium trim levels. 8,000 miles later, and I still think I made the correct choice for me. Your mileage (opinion) may vary. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! That sorted the camera question out for me. Makes a lot more sense.

I typically carry a lot of crap, I mean, gear on our roadtrips, that second camera would certainly come in handy.

Keep the personal stories coming, I think that's what it is going to come down to - just a preference, rather than a performance, thing.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
Thank you! That sorted the camera question out for me. Makes a lot more sense.

I typically carry a lot of crap, I mean, gear on our roadtrips, that second camera would certainly come in handy.

Keep the personal stories coming, I think that's what it is going to come down to - just a preference, rather than a performance, thing.
Indispensable for such road trips. I've had to use it twice, for a total of over a thousand miles, because of my, ummm... gear. It's nice to be able to pack the car to the ceiling and not care. :tango_face_wink:

Seriously though, we loaded the car with a ton of stuff from a trip home from Vermont, with 4 people and a little dog as well, and that rear view mirror cam was amazing. It's a bit odd to get used to, because you look at it and don't see yourself or your passengers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For me, not having the option of a bench seat for second row was the deal breaker with the touring. My golden retriever gets the second row to herself while traveling as well as sleeps back there while my wife and I sleep in our teardrop camper. Hopefully Subaru will make this an option in the future. The 2 things I would really like from the touring are the front camera and the rear mirror camera. I'm not quite sure if the rear camera on the touring would give a good view over the top of my teardrop at 64 inches but that prospect would be really nice. I live in the city with street parking that is always tight. I would have really appreciated the forward camera to avoid hitting bumpers when parking and when pulling out of my parking. Still the lack of a bench makes the touring a no-go for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've had a Touring for three months. I carry a lot of stuff in the back of mine and I really like the smart rearview camera. I love the front camera even more. It makes parking in tight spaces a lot easier. While I would rather have a 2nd row bench, for me that's the only big downside for the Touring. The brown leather seats are always going to be a matter of personal opinion. My Touring has the blue exterior so I think the combination works well in my case.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've had a Touring for three months. I carry a lot of stuff in the back of mine and I really like the smart rearview camera. I love the front camera even more. It makes parking in tight spaces a lot easier. While I would rather have a 2nd row bench, for me that's the only big downside for the Touring. The brown leather seats are always going to be a matter of personal opinion. My Touring has the blue exterior so I think the combination works well in my case.
I was in the same boat although I also wanted the ventilated seats because I'm hot all the time and my wife is always cold.

As far as the smart rear-view camera I really though this was just a gimmick until I used it on a 300 mile drive. It was so nice to actually be able to see what was behind me for the entire trip since the car was packed to the ceiling.

The two things I really wanted like you are the bench seat but I also would have removed the sun roof. I know everyone is amazed at how large it is but to be honest I never had one before and I hardly use this one and I find the sun beating down on my head to be uncomfortable and the only time I actually open the shade is at night.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I too considered both the Limited and Touring models. Here was my thought process and final decision.
Touring has everything and anything you could possibly want but comes with a hefty price for it. In Rhode Island where I live MSRP is between 42,00 and 46,000.
Touring only has brown seating
How many of these features do I really need. Must haves versus wants. In the end the additional features on the touring for me, didn't justify the high MSRP

Limited has more seat color and style variety.
Limited comes at a much more reasonable MSRP price of 39,970 up to 40,650 depending on the added options the vehicle comes with.

In the end I chose a red Limited with Ivory interior and captains chairs. Standard Model no options. I have kids so bench seating in the second row would be a nightmare for getting to the third row frequently. After looking at after market items for the ascent I get just about anything I want to add much cheaper than going through the dealer. Over the next two years I'll get all my additional options added myself. Also I just sold a 2005 Honda CRV so all the new tech features in the Limited will feel like a massive upgrade given my CRV had a tape deck in it. Ha!
Final cost of vehicle agreed by myself and the dealer is 37,700 before taxes, fees and reg. MSRP was 39,970 I feel this is a fair price given the vehicle isn't even on the lot yet. Expected arrival Oct. 20th. Currently In Transit to Port of Davisville, RI. Woo Hoo!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Cooled front seats
Smart mirror
smart rearview camera
upgraded steering wheel
Seats are not cooled, but ventilated, pulling ambient air through the seat and away from your body. IMO much better than cooled seats.

Smart Mirror/Smart Rearview Camera = same same

Upgraded steering wheel, specifically, is just heated.

If you're going to drop 45k, and you like very specific things on the 47k model...if your credit is good and you're not paying 6%+ interest, that 2k difference is a very trivial $50-60/month. Just get the Touring, have your tech, and enjoy the car. You're optioning everything into the Limited anyway, it would be silly to pass on the Touring unless you ABSOLUTELY could not live with 7 brown seats.

·
Registered
646 Posts
We've used the smart rear view camera exclusively since day one. It's a wider field of view than the mirror and eliminates any possibility of a blind spot.
I made fun of that and the AVH early on and after eating crow I don't think I want a car without them now lol. Unless it's a stock turbo brz :)

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
411 Posts
Having the Limited, I honestly wish that I would have gotten the Touring. At the time of order It didnt seem financially possible, but looking back (dang hindsight 20/20 and all) I could have gotten the Touring.

The brown is hit or miss I LOVE it but again see reason above. I did basically option out a Limited which was somewhat silly, but oh well. It's still a great car (800 miles so far), and I only regret it once and a while. I was also impatient. I could have gone with a CWP Touring, but it would have had my car in November-December and that was too long for me.

My advice? If you can do the Touring, Do It. Don't look back. The Java Brown will grow on you.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
OP: You should compare your 2007 Acadia to a Limited trim. There are many things to be compared with but select couple categories you're competent with:
1. Interior features
2. Exterior features
3. Drive train performance
4. Amenities for driver and passengers

At the end of the day, if you're happy with the Acadia, an aged car, then you will likely be satisfied with the lower trim package like Limited. When you make the comparisons, do the need-or-want litmus test.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Another difference between the limited and touring is the steering wheel material itself. I don't know what the official name of it is, but it is a different type of leather; or at least it is finished a little rougher than the others. At first, I was displeased, but after a little bit of getting used to it, I wouldn't have done it any other way. That extra texture gives you some grip and it feels more premium, at least IMHO.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I love my Touring, especially the ventilated seats, the brown leather, and the front camera. The black and ivory leather choices in the Limited are nice, but the Touring cabin has a luxury feel to it that the Limited just can't match. I thought it was just me, but every single one of my passengers has commented on how nice the leather is in my car.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I love my Touring, especially the ventilated seats, the brown leather, and the front camera. The black and ivory leather choices in the Limited are nice, but the Touring cabin has a luxury feel to it that the Limited just can't match. I thought it was just me, but every single one of my passengers has commented on how nice the leather is in my car.
It is a nice color combination for sure, especially, IMHO, with the CWP exterior. The driver's seat thigh-extension is AWESOME! Another one of those things that, at first, I didn't like but have grown to love it. That extra support really helps!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
It's the most striking interior feature. I would love to have the brown leather seats.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I went back and forth between Premium, Limited, and Touring before settling on Touring. The biggest thing for me was the front camera since I have a hard time judging in it, the rest was just bonus. I also was so-so about the Java Brown, but it's growing on me. It seems to have a level of sophistication with it after exploring other brands, it seems like it's more of a luxury line or grand touring type of option.

Similarly, I was looking at around the same price to option everything into a Limited, without the exclusive Touring tech. The premium saves money at the cost of arguably a less safe car (still absolutely stellar) since the upper trims have the adaptive LED lights that have a better IIHS rating.

The ventilated seats will be welcome on the leather since that tends to get hot in direct sunlight in the summer here, but not absolutely mandatory.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Loving our Touring!

We've had our Touring for just over a month now and are loving it! Honestly, we never even considered any other trim. First time I've ever wanted all the "bells and whistles" and could afford it! Here in FL, we wanted the ventilated seats (never had those in previous vehicles), and the panoramic sunroof (which will be nice from Nov-Apr). The wife had mentioned that she likes and feels the ventilated seats working, so that's a plus for us! The Java Brown leather might take a little time to get used to, but it goes great with the Cinnamon Brown Pearl exterior. :tango_face_wink:

We came from a 2007 Subaru Legacy which only had anti-lock brakes and AWD for technologies. With the Ascent being much larger than the Legacy, I love using the front view camera every time I pull it into the garage. So we're excited to learn and experience the new capabilities in the Ascent...especially in our Touring.
Like was mentioned by @Orestes85, your price different between a loaded Limited and the Touring isn't that much if you can live with the Java Brown leather seats. Good luck on your choice! :grin:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Especially in your case with the Limited/options pricing out only $2,000+ less than the Touring, definitely get the Touring. You will regret it each time you drive the vehicle. Others have opted for a much less expensive configuration on the Limited, which would shift the scale in favor of the Limited over the Touring.

It's usually preferable to purchase the nicer model IF you can afford it. It will be easier to sell when the time comes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It is a nice color combination for sure, especially, IMHO, with the CWP exterior. The driver's seat thigh-extension is AWESOME! Another one of those things that, at first, I didn't like but have grown to love it. That extra support really helps!
I agree. It's like driving my couch down the road. And CWP with the brown leather is the perfect combo, and that's why there's one in my driveway!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts