Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3-30-21...We have a 2019 Ascent and for the most part like it....until. Six days ago my wife was driving in stop and go traffic and all of the sudden the cat shuddered and died and smoke filled the cab of the car. She was driving with the windows down due to the great weather. She jumped out thinking the car was on fire but saw that huge volumes of smoke was pouring out of the tailpipes and was blowing into her car. She called me and I said stay out of the car and I am on the way. Called SOA and they had it towed to the dealer.

That was six days ago still do not have the car back. Turns out the PCV valve broke and some of it went into the engine. I am very concerned that there was some long term damage to the internals and catalytic converter plus who knows what else.

Turns out there was a recall on this, but the dealer never took care of it when they had it for many oil changes and service repairs. I was basically told "NMP" by the service writer. I see that there is an ongoing problem with this PCV issue. I hope SOA does the right thing and replaces the short block, catalytic converter and any other parts that could be affected. The car is my wife's daily driver but she now has no faith in the reliability of the car.

Let's see how this dilemma shakes out.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear. Hope your wife is doing OK. When you said the service write said "NMP", is the car still under warranty? Keep SOA in the loop. They take care of their customers.
She is fine, was just a little shaken up. The NPM was when I asked why they do not take care of recalls automatically when you are a loyal customer that takes their car nowhere else for service. And yes, it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
275 Posts
We’ve relied on this forum and Facebook to get word on recalls. Once we get a hint we check the MySubaru app and/or look up our vin on Subaru.com. The dealer should have caught that awhile ago though. However, we have never had the dealer reach out first to let us know of a recall. The last time my wife called to make an appointment and the service writer mentioned that our car had a recall. She was calling to make the appointment for the recall.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
3-30-21...We have a 2019 Ascent and for the most part like it....until. Six days ago my wife was driving in stop and go traffic and all of the sudden the cat shuddered and died and smoke filled the cab of the car. She was driving with the windows down due to the great weather. She jumped out thinking the car was on fire but saw that huge volumes of smoke was pouring out of the tailpipes and was blowing into her car. She called me and I said stay out of the car and I am on the way. Called SOA and they had it towed to the dealer.

That was six days ago still do not have the car back. Turns out the PCV valve broke and some of it went into the engine. I am very concerned that there was some long term damage to the internals and catalytic converter plus who knows what else.

Turns out there was a recall on this, but the dealer never took care of it when they had it for many oil changes and service repairs. I was basically told "NMP" by the service writer. I see that there is an ongoing problem with this PCV issue. I hope SOA does the right thing and replaces the short block, catalytic converter and any other parts that could be affected. The car is my wife's daily driver but she now has no faith in the reliability of the car.

I do not know what other components might be impacted by a defective PCV but I am certain SOA will replace what is clearly damaged. You should have received a recall notice if Subaru determined that your VIN was impacted. does this recall show up when you input your vin into the nhtsa website recall area? If it does then I would have a serious conversation with SOA. If it does not, it is conceivable that your vin was outside the projected impacted vehicles. here is the SOA recall letter that would have been mailed. Just because there was a recall for the PCV doesn't mean that other PCV might not also fail for the same or other reasons.

here are the impacted Ascents. The list involved units manufactured in early 2018 and I do not know what your build date was.

You will not have any out of pocket and you should have been provided with an equivalent loaner until the repair is completed.

I'm no mechanic but here is some surface research regarding the impact of a failed PCV.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
PLEASE call Subaru of America. Dealers are supposed to check for recalls on EVERY service visit.

Please also update your contact information with Subaru of America. They sent you a physical mail notification.

And, if you like using cell phone apps, please install MySubaru app. It too would have notified you.

While you are at it, I'd also check the link below to see what other recalls have not been performed. Simply enter your VIN, and it will let you know the status of recalls and service campaigns (note, it can take a few weeks to update once completed).

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

perhaps that's quite an extreme measure, but it's possible that you're correct. I think it's reasonable to ask them to do an inspection on the intake plenum, where the PCV gets circulated to, to see if there's significant oil there that's need to be cleaned. Then take a further approach to the path of the oil transport.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I'm glad your wife is ok. I feel bad that the cat didn't make it though :(

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
Pretty sure that's a typo, and he means car.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Report it to the NHTSA.gov and they respond quickly by filling out the forms and Twitter @NHTSAgov - so scary! I’m glad you’re wife & family made it out.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Yelp about the Dealership- they respond faster than most ppl- it’s weird

1 - 15 of 15 Posts