Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just picked up the Ascent Limited yesterday so I’m still sorting through the technology. This is our 4th Subaru. I think our 1999 Outback only had 6 moving parts and 4 of them were wheels. The Ascent is a bit more complicated. During the buying process the finance guy made a point of saying that a rather pricey EyeSight calibration was needed it you replaced the windshield. Is this true in all cases? Or is it a suggested step that might not be needed if you use a quality glass. I’ve used Safelite in the past. I’d be interested in the groups opinion.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,169 Posts
You'll find more discussion about the windshields in the technical area of the forum, but yes, a replacement windshield requires recalibration of Eyesight. My understanding is that Safelite is able to do this in their centers and dealers can, too. But there is a cost involved...no surprise there. Eyesight equipped vehicles are good candidates for a vehicle glass rider on your auto insurance if your comprehensive coverage doesn't already handle it. It was a small annual upcharge on my policy and I have it on all three of our Subarus since "in general", you're talking $600-900 for a replacement.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you that’s great information. Hopefully it will be some time before I need one. I’ll peruse the technical info after I work my way though the software customization options. Thanks again

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Thank you that’s great information. Hopefully it will be some time before I need one. I’ll peruse the technical info after I work my way though the software customization options. Thanks again
Only OEM windshields are available for the Ascent (no aftermarket). Subaru requires OEM windshields and if replaced requires re-calibration. Therefore the insurance companies are required to use these windshields and have eyesight calibrated each time it is replaced. My insurance company does not use a rider but covers it under comprehensive so I paid my deductible which covered the windshield and calibration. Check your own coverage.

There are two independent companies that calibrate eyesight other than the dealers. The calibration machine is expensive to purchase. Safelites and Novus glass centers.
Having it completed at one point of service is not only more convenient but eliminates responsibility issues should problems arise.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
My experience with the windshield was I got 4 cracks in a couple mon the of driving around Houston. I repaired the first 3 small ones but the forth made a runner that went right in front of the eyesight camera. The eyesight was not happy. I called Safelite and the dealer. My dealer was about $200 cheaper. I had my dealer replace it because if anything went wrong with the eyesight or the other sensors in the area I would have one place to go for repair and not get the run around from a windshield company.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Forgot to say that after the 4 cracks the new windshield is crack free still. I was concerned that I got so many so quickly.
just a coincidence. No indications or reports that the OEM windshields have been redesigned. Just the luck of the draw (speed, traffic, road debri, angle of attack, location).

I pay the same whether I get my windshield replaced at dealer or independent. The balance of whatever it costs is covered by insurance so being "cheaper" is not a factor in my circumstance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.