Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Subaru trailer hitch impact the ability to fit a full-size spare? I've looked at the install materials and a video and see it replaces the rear bumper beam but I can't make out whether it intrudes any into the spare tire well.

Also, has anyone been able to fit a slightly larger 30" diameter tire as a spare? I'm thinking of using a 235/65-18 spare to match the diameter of the 255/50-20 tires we'll likely upgrade to. That way it's a little narrower so it doesn't protrude from under the bumper as much and weighs less, but still has the full diameter and load rating needed. But if I can't fit it that might make me re-think moving up to the slightly larger tires.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You can try taking one of your oem tires off and putting it under there.
The 235 spare you’re considering would protrude downward 1cm less than the oem and you’ll be able to gauge if you have 12mm clearance for the larger diameter.
To partially answer your question, the receiver does not protrude into the spare tire well. Theres a metal piece between the receiver and the spare tire that doesn’t get moved during installation.

·
Super Moderator
6,394 Posts
No, a full sized spare will still fit. I have the OEM hitch and a full sized spare. Make sure to leave it deflated, and carry a small air compressor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts