Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First visit to dealer for '20 Touring. They insisted I bring it in for oil change. It's 7 months old but less than 800 miles because of lock down.

As long as I'm here, I brought up the low-speed shudder/bog/gear-hunting we experience on local streets with 20-25mph speed limits and the engine passes through the 1300-1800rpm range. The service manager/head mechanic was familiar with the complaint and said they've only had a few owners having the issue. He said that SOA advised them that they need to find and match 4 spark plugs with 4.8-5.1 ohm resistance and install them. The contention is that there's a random mis-fire not getting recorded by the pcm. He said that the plug replacement didn't address the issue and tossed it back to SOA who said that Japan was working on a fix.

The mechanic said that he's tried replacing the EGR which seemed to alleviate the shudder but not under all conditions. He said he put one of the offending EGRs into another car and then that one experienced the shudder too.

It was this mechanic's belief that Subaru will be issuing a major re-flash in '21. He's also certain that Subaru will not remove the fake shifts or add a menu option. As far as this visit, he's not going to do anything other than record the complaint since he has no fix.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Thanks for the update! I will keep an eye out for the reflash and let everyone know when it's available.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Thanks! Since I reported this on it's own thread, and had the dealer check it by having kept it for 3 days, it's become easier to replicate. At first, it only happened at certain spots on my normal route drive. Now it's much more frequent at lower rpm, 50ish mph and when driving hill areas where I've just been coasting downhill, then applying throttle on the uphill. Right when I start applying throttle, it will shudder for a few seconds. My passengers always mention it, so it's pretty obvious. I don't notice the tachometer bouncing or pulsing though. I think the RPM change isn't enough to notice.
The other problem of bucking has not returned. I've experienced a bucking that is much more violent and slower rate than the shudder.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Interesting! I assume if I'm out warranty by the time this reflash is available then I'll have to pay a "diagnostic fee" and maybe even pay for the re-flash as well.

Anybody know if I document this sooner rather than later with my dealer before re-flash is availabe if I can use that to get me out of paying any fees in the future?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
101 Posts
Anybody know if I document this sooner rather than later with my dealer before re-flash is availabe if I can use that to get me out of paying any fees in the future?
With my experience, you should always mention the issue to the dealership even if it can't be replicated, or is very minor.

With the powertrain warranty 5yr/60k, that may buy you some more time for that reflash :)

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Interesting! I assume if I'm out warranty by the time this reflash is available then I'll have to pay a "diagnostic fee" and maybe even pay for the re-flash as well.

if an owner brings up a problem within the warranty period (documented on paper) but the manufacturer does not have a fix at that time, the owner would not have to pay for the fix when it comes out.

If you are in warranty now, then simply get them to write down that they will fix this issue under warranty when the fix comes out regardless of warranty status at the time.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
if an owner brings up a problem within the warranty period (documented on paper) but the manufacturer does not have a fix at that time, the owner would not have to pay for the fix when it comes out.

If you are in warranty now, then simply get them to write down that they will fix this issue under warranty when the fix comes out regardless of warranty status at the time.
Yup. I always forget about the separate 5/60 powertrain warranty, so I have plenty of time. I'll document it next chance I get anyway.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,162 Posts
Thanks! Since I reported this on it's own thread, and had the dealer check it by having kept it for 3 days, it's become easier to replicate. At first, it only happened at certain spots on my normal route drive. Now it's much more frequent at lower rpm, 50ish mph and when driving hill areas where I've just been coasting downhill, then applying throttle on the uphill. Right when I start applying throttle, it will shudder for a few seconds. My passengers always mention it, so it's pretty obvious. I don't notice the tachometer bouncing or pulsing though.
We have this exact symptom as well (the momentary shudder with applied throttle, with no engine surging or tachometer movement). It feels like a transmission shudder, though it's also been suggested that it could be the AWD clutch packs still breaking in. The EGR/spark plug issue is a different angle entirely -- and that's interesting. Good thread!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts