Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now there is another direct competitor for the Ascent. Hyundai introduces the Palisade - to replace the discontinued 3-row Santa Fe. Some observers have surmised this vehicle was supposed to be introduced with a Genesis label, but there is no confirmation of that. It could explain the use of higher quality materials than normally found on a Hyundai.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Hyundai took a while getting these on the road!
While my opinion is completely my own and I’ve heard a lot of people saying they like the looks of Palisade’s sister Telliride, I think Hyundai did a better job on the outside. However, I also thought it looked like a typical Hyundai design job of mashing features of other cars together to come up with theirs. To me the Palisade looks like a combo of a new Traverse and an Escalade so from now on I’m calling it a Traverscalade. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing! I did only see one driving from a little distance, about 50 yards, so I didn’t get a great look, especially of the back. First impression!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I agree, this one looks more derivative than the telluride. But, I'll have to see this one in person. I didn't think the telluride looked that good until I saw one in person, and I was very impressed (although I do think the front end is a little bit wonky but I do like the rest of it).

I don't know if it's just me, but the higher-end vehicles from Kia and Hyundai seem to look a lot better in person than they do in photos.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I’ve seen the cAr and I have to say it looked like a high class interior with all the same new tech. What’s truly unbelievable is that the dealership tacked on a $10k premium includes top of Msrp. Who would ever pay a premium just for a brand new Hyundai suv? Certainly not me.

·
Super Moderator
6,022 Posts
Lower ground clearance and horribly inferior AWD that can't tackle the simplest of "off road" terrain.

The sister Telluride is equally incapable, since it's the same drive train.

I've said repeatedly that the Subie system handles putting power wherever it's needed better, which is why the Palisades used in the beach commercial (see below) got stuck in stuff any recent year Subie in the same class would laugh at.

But, see for yourself. Watch the Subie handle ANY wheel in the air, and watch the Hyundai/Kia platform fail, eliciting explanations about why it did so poorly.

Sadly, he didn't test the Palisade where he tested the Ascent, or decided to not show those tests. Then again, it barely made it where it was.

Always on, all four wheel, not severely front biased AWD translates into safer bad weather driving as well.

The Palisade has a gorgeous electronics package that I love. But, for easy and safe all weather handling with no button guessing, and for off roading, the Ascent trounces the Kia/Hyundai with ease.

The Ascent doesn't care if two opposing wheels are off the ground, either.

And handles faaaar harsher terrain, lifting wheels all sorts of places.

Climbs up and down solid rock shelves...

Easily tackles soft sand beaches, wet or dry, with no effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIIJW3-FSro

Hyundai/Kia AWD system didn't manage it (being sooo heavily front wheel biased in every mode, including lock mode, means it WILL dig itself in soft wet sand that the Ascent will NOT):

⇨I AM NOT SAYING THAT THE HYUNDAI/KIA DYNAMAX SYSTEM IS BAD⇦

It’s probably one of the best front wheel biased system.

I am saying that the Subaru system is a LOT better⇦

·
Registered
565 Posts
And it's also butt ugly in my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts