Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has loaded cargo in the dark, will probably agree the factory cargo light is next to useless.

So this weekend I added a couple of small led lights on the trim above the lift gate opening.

Adding the lights was easy. I also added a switch and for the heck of if it added a timer relay to turn them off after 10 minutes.
If someone is interested in doing this I can provide more info.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Nice solution,I was thinking of getting a LED dome light installed where yours are but tapping off the useless cargo light.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Def provide more info. What LED/holders did you use and how does that trim piece come off? I figure wiring them into the useless light would be the way to do it unless there is another/better place to tap into power that you've found.

·
Administrator
11,404 Posts
Wow, I own a couple dozen similar pop-in lights, and never thought of using them for that purpose. Will add that to my projects list.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Def provide more info. What LED/holders did you use and how does that trim piece come off? I figure wiring them into the useless light would be the way to do it unless there is another/better place to tap into power that you've found.
I will get a parts list together, with a drawing and a couple of photos.

I wanted the existing cargo to be connected to the new circuit, so I tapped into the wiring harness for the existing light.

The top trim just pulls off and is held up with only a few clips, same for the bottom, which needs to come off to get the left side trim off. The left side trim does not need to be completely removed, just pulled open to reach the light connector. A few clips, one screw, and one 10mm bolt.

More to come.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Thanks. This would be much better than the light that goes in the access panel in the hatch, which illuminates the cargo area fine until it is blocked by your body when you actually need to do something in the back. Having the two lights and their positions would provide much better illumination when reaching into the cargo area.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. This would be much better than the light that goes in the access panel in the hatch, which illuminates the cargo area fine until it is blocked by your body when you actually need to do something in the back. Having the two lights and their positions would provide much better illumination when reaching into the cargo area.
That was my goal. Each light is bright enough to light up the back, but this way it's just about impossible to block both at the same time.

The leds are from super bright leds.
Bolt Beam 12mm LED Light - 55
Lumens - Natural (4000k) White with Black housing.

I spliced in a molex connector, but I may have found a plug and play option that will not require cutting the factory harness.

I'll know for sure in a few more days.

Hopefully I'll have a drawing and a parts list tomorrow.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I did a quick write up of the wiring and parts needed (see attached photo. So far I am very happy with the new lights. If I had it to do over again, I may have used a different switch. I would still use a lighted rocker, but I would find one that looks more OEM. The one I used was off my shelf.

Okay, here is the good news. Since my install (that required cutting the OEM harness at the OEM cargo light), I found a source of supply for the OEM connectors. I used Molex connectors I had on the shelf, but with these OEM style connectors no cutting is necessary. Other than making the wireing harness, it will be plug and play into the OEM harness and light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Would you say that the dedicated switch is necessary for every-day use? Or would it also be reasonable to just omit the switch, and rely on the default turn-off behavior of the rear cargo light?

Also, which of the connector parts you listed are needed for connecting to the OEM wiring harness, and the OEM cargo light?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would you say that the dedicated switch is necessary for every-day use? Or would it also be reasonable to just omit the switch, and rely on the default turn-off behavior of the rear cargo light?
Depends on how you use your vehicle. If all you do is load gear in the back and close the lift gate, no switch is necessary.

If you like to do stuff like sit behind your vehicle with the gate open and watch the stars, the switch is helpful.

I like have the option of the switch, but it's definitely not needed.

I also wired in a timer, but again not needed. The LEDs only draw like .07 amps each.

All you really need is a wire going from OEM cargo light connectors to the new LEDs.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Attached is a simple wiring diagram with no switch or timer. The new lights will come on and go off with the OEM cargo light (but not if you turn the OEM light off at the switch on the light, the new lights will stay on in that case)

If you purchase the OEM connectors, one male and one female with the terminals, you can make a plug and play wiring harness that does not require cutting the factory harness (highly recommended). The connectors are listed on the graphic, just google them and you will find where to buy them. You can't get them from Subaru.
Text Line Font Parallel Diagram

By the way, this set up is much easier to do than putting the cargo light in the lift gate.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I'm going with the simple wiring method. Also, I'll be using Posi-Tap wire taps. They don't damage the wires. They use a sharp pin to pierce the wire's insulation instead of cutting into it like most other wire taps that can nick the wires. They are reusable and both bulbs can be fed off each of the taps. Here's a link to them to see what they are;

·
Registered
15 Posts
I took some time and added the additional lights today. Instead of adding a dedicated switch, I decided to re-use the switch in the existing, left cargo light though:

Vehicle door Trunk Vehicle Car Automotive exterior
Model aircraft Vehicle Flap Airplane Aircraft
Electrical wiring Wire Light Electronics Electrical network

·
Registered
869 Posts
Here’s my contribution to this thread.Took about 20min to install.
The light is from SUPER BRIGHT LEDS-BOLT BEAM Natural White/Black body.
I messed up and ordered the wrong color so the COOL WHITE 6k light is in the mail.
Pics may not be in order:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
^^^ looks like you plugged the new light into where the side light bulb would go rather than wire it in parallel. Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
^^^ nice. I haven't pulled it out and looked at it yet and was wondering if it'd be possible to tap into power after that switch while retaining the existing bulb. In that vein, what is the picture you posted showing the wires soldered to back of the light assembly adjacent to the bulb?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts