Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
I am looking forward to this, and am a little saddened I didn't get the early experience release.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Can we assume that us non-Nav users will have to schlep to the nearest dealer to receive this?
Nope, anyone using Android Auto will automagically get this update, whenever Google feels like rolling it out to everyone. Big releases like this are rolled out in stages using who knows what methodology. Figure everyone with a compatible phone (probably any new Android phone) will get it within a month, possibly a bit less.

Best thing about Android Auto is it's pretty much all on the phone. The head unit just displays what it's told, and makes button presses and such go back to the phone.

So, there's nothing for you to do except make sure your phone's apps are all up to date (that includes any apps that work in Android Auto, like Google Maps, or, if you use it, Spotify, etc).

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Good news indeed! Now how can I make it play nice with Amazon Music? ?
Ok, now you're asking for miracles!!! :mad::D:p

Seriously though, I've had problems with that almost anywhere outside of the Amazon ecosystem. I ended up giving up and switching to Google Play Music. I've got one Echo at home I use to check Amazon orders, and sometimes order things by voice.

Anyways, I do have Amazon Music and a couple songs there, not that I use it. Once I get the update, I'll give it a try and see how it works, and let you know if I have success.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Is there a messaging (voice text) feature in the new Android Auto? On the previous version, mine only came up as a sub-menu to Phone, and only if I receive a message (can't access it otherwise). Voice text is nicely supported in simply bluetoothing my Note 9 (not using AA), and I had given up on AA. A bit hopeful that this upgrade makes AA good enough for me to use.
F.S.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good news indeed! Now how can I make it play nice with Amazon Music? ?
I click on the headphone icon and can select Amazon Music from there. Sadly, you may be referring to the limited track access. One of these days I'll update my playlists to address this as a workaround.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yo
Is there a messaging (voice text) feature in the new Android Auto? On the previous version, mine only came up as a sub-menu to Phone, and only if I receive a message (can't access it otherwise). Voice text is nicely supported in simply bluetoothing my Note 9 (not using AA), and I had given up on AA. A bit hopeful that this upgrade makes AA good enough for me to use.
F.S.
You need to enable it in AA app permissions and then data or in-car wifi must be on (I, too, have a Note 9).
Text Green Font Line Screenshot

·
Registered
'19 Ascent Limited
102 Posts
Does anyone know if they fixed the lack of audible notification for text messages?

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Does anyone know if they fixed the lack of audible notification for text messages?
If you're connected via Android Auto, notifications come in via Android Auto (AA compatible ones). Other notification sounds are routed through bluetooth. If bluetooth is not your active media source, you will not hear the notifications.

·
Registered
'19 Ascent Limited
102 Posts
If you're connected via Android Auto, notifications come in via Android Auto (AA compatible ones). Other notification sounds are routed through bluetooth. If bluetooth is not your active media source, you will not hear the notifications.
This used to work fine w AA compatible apps like WhatsApp and the stock txt message app.
Looks like they've fixed this in the latest version of AA. Been working fine for a few days now. BTW, I'm running the new interface and it is pretty nice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts