Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So got the Ascent 2019 on September,
using Android Auto everyday and experience was sluggish as the best. took forever to connect, at-least 1 in 4 times not connect at all need to turn the car complete off and turn it back on and hope to connection - at least once a week disconnect in during the drive.

change the cable few time and finally decide that it the phone problem, and maybe my next phone be an iPhone. and cross fingers apple auto works better.
Ttill 2 weeks ago spent 10 days in FL for vacation and rent a KIA Optima , Android Auto connected every single time in less than 3 second, and no problem at all. I mean come on, not even once had any issue on crappy rental car.

is there any suggestion to fix this on ascent ?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I do not know what the cause of your difficulty is. Using a Galaxy S8 it's been reliably fast and responsive for me. I can only think of the simple obvious things you've probably already tried; trying a different USB cable, ensuring the USB port on the phone is clear of lint or foreign objects, check that Android Auto and the Android OS are up to date...

You can also check if Ascent's info/tainment software is up to date. It was straightforward for me to check and update it via my home WIFI, though there are other methods if this won't work for you.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
629 Posts
My Pixel 2 did not play nice with the Ascent. As soon as I got my Pixel 4, flawless. I think it's a mix of phone, Android Auto version, and cables. Dice roll, similar to Bluetooth in the early years.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,877 Posts
There are lots of threads in the Technical area that help with AA and CP issues.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Tyically it is your settings, order of operation or cables. Check prior posts.
My Pixel 2 did not play nice with the Ascent. As soon as I got my Pixel 4, flawless. I think it's a mix of phone, Android Auto version, and cables. Dice roll, similar to Bluetooth in the early years.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
629 Posts
Clearly not order of operations since I changed nothing when I got the new phone. Same cables, same order of operations.

My wife has a pixel 2 as well and had the same issues my Pixel 2 had. I honestly think it's just the various software revs and something very minor being the world of difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I Have S8+ and as mentioned did all the changing cables etc, with last cable I have in Kia Optima everything worked flawlessly for 10 days straight , so its not cable or phone itself,
like today its stopped in middle of highway - had to pull over, and only reconnect after turn the car off and on,

·
Registered
148 Posts
I Have S8+ and as mentioned did all the changing cables etc, with last cable I have in Kia Optima everything worked flawlessly for 10 days straight , so its not cable or phone itself,
like today its stopped in middle of highway - had to pull over, and only reconnect after turn the car off and on,
At this point I'm convinced it's all alchemy. Perhaps your ratio of equivalent exchange is off?

·
Registered
240 Posts
You shouldn't need to pull over and turn the car off and on. Simply hold down the power button until the radio turns off, and then turns back on again. Once the radio starts back up, let go of the power button, and I can almost guarantee AA will start working again. Its worked 100% of the time for me.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium Crystal White Pearl
118 Posts
sorry, I missed the new phone history. I have had great success with Anker usb cables. Purchase at amazon.
I second that, Anker cables work great. My Galaxy S9+ worked very well, a few hiccups here or there but they were fixed by holding the head unit power button to reboot the head unit. I have now switched to the Pixel 2 XL and it has also worked perfectly well. The Pixel, especially if you're on Android 10, now bakes in AA with the phone software as a system app. It may require you to go to apps, locate it, and make sure it's setup correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You shouldn't need to pull over and turn the car off and on. Simply hold down the power button until the radio turns off, and then turns back on again. Once the radio starts back up, let go of the power button, and I can almost guarantee AA will start working again. Its worked 100% of the time for me.
Cool
will give it a shot next time ( sure it happens in next few days )

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone noticed android auto failing after the last starlink update. It was working perfectly with my pixel 4 a few weeks ago. I noticed an update was applied to the car about a week ago, and android auto fails to start up successfully.

Specifically, it looks like the headunit and the phone detect eachother, attempts to start android auto, and mid startup, it fails. I am not sure if my pixel fails of the head unit. It does look somewhat related to power or cable related bugs, but... this was all working a few weeks ago. I am really really trying not to need to hard reset anything.. but I might end up doing that for some more debugging.

Just curious if anyone else noticed AA failing after the last update.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
^^^ There's some info in the following thread. One suggestion is to un-pair, uninstall Android Auto from the phone, reinstall, and pair again.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If the above doesn't work, try going to the app on your phone, then:

Settings/Connected Cars/turn on Add new cars to Android Auto

1 - 18 of 18 Posts