Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got the Ascent and when I plugged in my Android phone in order to use Google Map navigation there were two volume controls, one for radio volume and one for Google Map navigation. While a song was playing adjusting the volume controlled the radio volume and while Google navigation was giving turn-by-turn directions the volume control would control the navigation volume.

As well, when it worked as noted above, the front speakers would carry the navigation audio while the rear speakers continued to play the radio. Now when navigation directions are given the navigation comes out of only the front speakers and radio stops playing through the rear speakers. Makes sense and I probably prefer the new method.

At some point something changed, I assume in Android Auto, because now the navigation spoken directions use the same volume control. If the navigation directions are too low I turn up the volume DURING the spoken TBT directions in order better hear the instructions. When the spoken directions are complete the radio volume blasts at the new volume.

Anyone notice anything different and if you've been able to control both audio sources separately?

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
What firmware version is your radio on?

·
Registered
684 Posts
i do not use Android but on Apple CarPlay , if you play radio from the APP or Pandora or songs from the phone its all considered ONE audio source same as Navigation (phone Navigation)
but if its actual car Radio its a separate audio source vs phone-Navigation
Also Google Map turns off (full mute) other audio source during directions , but Waze only dims it

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
If it's setup the same as CarPlay, yes, the navigation from the device audio is controlled separately from the "radio" volume. You can change it while the app is speaking or in the setup. I actually had to do this yesterday as apparently my daughter while "testing out" my new Ascent, accidentally lowered the volume associated with that kind of app to zero....I'd hear the volume lower on the tunes, but not hear any spoken directions. So since I was moving, I waited for the next set of directions to commence and as soon as the music volume fell off, signaling "incoming" from Google Maps, I increased the volume with the steering wheel control and could then hear Ms Google as before.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.