Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I just bought my Ascent yesterday and I'm still in the processes of configuring all my settings and when I went to setup Android Auto the button is grey with the phone (Essential PH-1) connected. Now this does work in my wife's Hyundai Sonata so I don't think it is the phone.

I did also try the two cables I have and bought a third to try just in case it was the cable and that did not work.

Anyone else having similar issues? Bluetooth works just fine and I can charge my phone as well. Just no Android Auto!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Okay I just bought my Ascent yesterday and I'm still in the processes of configuring all my settings and when I went to setup Android Auto the button is grey with the phone (Essential PH-1) connected. Now this does work in my wife's Hyundai Sonata so I don't think it is the phone.

I did also try the two cables I have and bought a third to try just in case it was the cable and that did not work.

Anyone else having similar issues? Bluetooth works just fine and I can charge my phone as well. Just no Android Auto!!
Yup, similar problem for me. I think restarting the phone may have helped.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts

Yup, similar problem for me. I think restarting the phone may have helped.
I've been able to use both bluetooth and android auto with no problems.
Please list your phones and OS versions

Also check out this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/essential/comments/84dp10/psa_if_your_car_still_doesnt_work_work_android/

There have been a lot of AA issues since Oreo came out

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
292 Posts
Lots of similar issues with new users on the Crosstrek forum. Mostly two problems, either poor USB cable (doesn't matter if it works on another car) or phone settings.

With Android Auto, change these settings on the phone (not the car). Bring up Android Auto on the phone and go to those app settings. On General, turn off Wifi, and turn off Use Bluetooth (need to scroll down). Then click Auto-launch and turn off Auto-launch. Then shut down AA on your phone.

Then plug phone into car USB. The AA icon should then be live on the big screen when in Apps mode. Press it and it will bring up AA on your phone and everything should now work.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay I found what worked. I had turn off the permission for Android Auto to access my messages. I'm not sure why this is an issue but as soon as I did it everything worked fine.

Never had this issue in my wife's car I'm not sure if this is an Android Auto issue or an Essential phone issue but I hope they fix it eventually.

·
Registered
210 Posts
also, on the android auto settings, make sure that AA connects automatically, when plugged in, and that it turns off wi-fi and bluetooth. I believe these are under the general settings.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Both my Ascent and 2018 Outback had an issue where Android Auto will not launch 100% of the time if it was plugged in before the vehicle started. I'd say it's almost 100% chance it won't launch if it's plugged in before the car's started. Restarting the phone won't correct the issue either. You have to wait until the head-unit powers down which takes a while after the cars off. It's a real pain when traveling and you don't have 15 minutes to pull over and leave the car off. Wish there was a soft restart button. I have to remember to unplug my phone every single time I get out of the car or else...

·
Registered
217 Posts
also, on the android auto settings, make sure that AA connects automatically, when plugged in, and that it turns off wi-fi and bluetooth. I believe these are under the general settings.
If I buy the ATT wifi service, does that mean I can not use Android Auto when my riders are using wifi?

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Essential Phone received an update last night and now it seems to be working perfectly! I think this was a phone issue and not a Subaru issue. I'll be testing it a lot in the next few days so I'll be able to verify it works all the time.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My Essential Phone received an update last night and now it seems to be working perfectly! I think this was a phone issue and not a Subaru issue. I'll be testing it a lot in the next few days so I'll be able to verify it works all the time.
Just an update my Essential phone was still disconnecting and connecting randomly after my initial tests.

But my wife's phone died and we got a buy one get one so I have a new Pixel 2 and that seemed to work great once I turned on developer options and set the USB to debugging. So far no issues so I think I confirmed it is an Essential Phone issue and not a Subaru issue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If I buy the ATT wifi service, does that mean I can not use Android Auto when my riders are using wifi?
I've never used Android Auto but I would think that it has nothing to do with the Wi-fi spot in your car. its using the service from your phone... and the wi-fi hotspot is a seperate device integrated in the car. So you should be fine using both at the same time.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've never used Android Auto but I would think that it has nothing to do with the Wi-fi spot in your car. its using the service from your phone... and the wi-fi hotspot is a seperate device integrated in the car. So you should be fine using both at the same time.
You can sign up for a 1GB trial from AT&T I'll do that at some point and let everyone know. But I would think that this wouldn't be a problem. The real question is will they ever have the Wifi connect so you can do wireless android auto.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can sign up for a 1GB trial from AT&T I'll do that at some point and let everyone know. But I would think that this wouldn't be a problem. The real question is will they ever have the Wifi connect so you can do wireless android auto.
Thats really what I was hoping for (wireless carplay) some of the third party devices like the new one Pioneer released can do this so its supported by Apple. I think Subaru really missed a great opportunity to include a wireless charger in the Ascent, most phones these days charge wirelessly. a Qi charging pad in that cubby up front would have been perfect and probably pretty cheap to include. I'm sure some techies would be swayed to the Ascent based on that feature alone if deciding between the competitors.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thats really what I was hoping for (wireless carplay) some of the third party devices like the new one Pioneer released can do this so its supported by Apple. I think Subaru really missed a great opportunity to include a wireless charger in the Ascent, most phones these days charge wirelessly. a Qi charging pad in that cubby up front would have been perfect and probably pretty cheap to include. I'm sure some techies would be swayed to the Ascent based on that feature alone if deciding between the competitors.
While wireless charging would be neat I think Chevy did this and had issues with heat around the phone so they had to put an A/C vent into the phone area. Subaru would have had to do this probably as well.

Also wouldn't the signal be horrible in that little area surrounded by plastic and metal?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts