Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes, Android Auto does not come up as active on my radio display panel. I can't figure out when and when it does not. If it is active it stays on but.... I've tried unplugging the phone and re-plugging to no avail. Any thoughts on how to have Android Auto ALWAYS activate when I start the car?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sometimes, Android Auto does not come up as active on my radio display panel. I can't figure out when and when it does not. If it is active it stays on but.... I've tried unplugging the phone and re-plugging to no avail. Any thoughts on how to have Android Auto ALWAYS activate when I start the car?
I have the same problem with Apple Car Play. It seems there is a glitch or connection problem having to do with the Ascent not recognizing that the phone is plugged in. Another problem with the display is that you MUST HAVE your phone plugged in. This should be operating via bluetooth. But if you use the voice button on the steering wheel (AND the phone is not plugged in) it will say that "that function is not available." Software problems abound in the Ascent including Android, Apple Car play, eyesight, bluetooth, and radio stations that disappear after being programmed in. I have a 2019 Subaru Ascent with a built date in Aug 2018.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
1) quality cable - yes, cables matter. There are threads about that here in the relevant forum area
2) current firmware
3) don't plug in the device until after the vehicle is fully started

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I've recently had this problem and in my case it was resolved by cleaning out the usb C port on my phone. Other than that, it's been reliable.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
start the engine first and BEFORE changing out of park, plug in phone. when exiting always unplug phone before shutting off vehicle.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is the phone unlocked? Yes, in many instances, if the phone is locked, the phone won't initiate the connection with the Android Auto app in the phone with the Android Auto app in the car.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
Is the phone unlocked? Yes, in many instances, if the phone is locked, the phone won't initiate the connection with the Android Auto app in the phone with the Android Auto app in the car.
This is an important point. For CarPlay, (so it may apply similarly to AndroidAuto) if the phone hasn't been unlocked "recently", CarPlay will not start automatically unless there's a new unlock event. Once that happens, as long as only a certain amount of time has passed, CarPlay will initiate with the device locked.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Happens some times on both cars.. and nothing I can do... restarting radio or phone will not help.. changing cable still no help... only way to fix it is turn of the car and open door...
It almost like USB port not activated properly..(charging only)
Also noticed it happens if I plug phone during engine start..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Got two suggestions for you:

I got this one. Very tight in the USB-C port so it stays plugged in

I was initially very disappointed with Android Auto in the Ascent for the first few days until I read through these forums. AA would work 1/5 times and when it did the frequent freezing and disconnections would really upset me. Two tips really helped. I haven't had an issue since I implemented them both:

1) Connect the phone only after the car has started and the infotainment system has finished booting/loading. Approx 5-10 seconds after engine start. Do not start the car with the phone plugged in

2) Clean the USB-C port! Turn off your phone to avoid the possibility of shorting anything. Use a sowing needle and gently take out any lint or foreign matter. There is a lot more in there than you think. I had my Pixel 2 for almost 2yrs and was shocked at the amount of accumulated lint/debris in there. If you think you've got it all, keep going, but be gentle. I started off with a toothpick but it kept breaking off inside the port. Once you are done cleaning it out, I suggest using a port plug for when the phone is not plugged in. I bought this pack on Amazon. Once you clean it, the USB-C cables will fully seat themselves and make use of the built-in detent to hold themselves in place. Dont scoff at the 10-pack of port covers. I keep misplacing them and I'm sure others do the same.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Been an issue since I got the Ascent. I've cleaned it, got a new phone, updated, switched cords.... just another disappointment for me. I never had issues with my Ford Sync.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Did few tests, my conclusion is:
start the car and let headunit fully boot, which around 15 seconds I believe, make sure the headunit’s bluetooth is connected to your android phone first, and then connect usb cable to your android phone. I tried this and works every time. For some reason, if your phone’s bluetooth is not connecting with the headunit, andriod auto won’t start.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Never had a problem with Android not hooking up, but lately it won't work for android-based text messages- it seems to work fine until after I dictate the message, then it pauses and says my internet signal is too weak. And if I'm playing music through my phone, and I make or receive a phone call, when I hang up, the music plays at three or four times regular speed. Any suggestions on either issue? This all started about a week ago. Up till that point never had an issue with AA.

·
Registered
204 Posts
There's a problem with AA showing text messages now. Not sure why this started but hopefully Google fixes this with an update soon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.