Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to make sure I am not missing something, but if you have Android auto connected, you can only use that device or XM radio for entertainment, is that correct? I wanted to playback a different device while using my normal cell phone to power AA Waze on the screen, but it has all media device sources disabled.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Just want to make sure I am not missing something, but if you have Android auto connected, you can only use that device or XM radio for entertainment, is that correct? I wanted to playback a different device while using my normal cell phone to power AA Waze on the screen, but it has all media device sources disabled.
I regularly use my USB thumb drive. But, you can't use another BT device since Android Auto takes over BT for notifications, voice prompts, Google Assistant (and the related button), and (if you're using it) media.

An NTFS formatted USB 3.x thumb drive works well. An exFAT one bombs horribly with lots of files or folders.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Want USB audio device, not storage. Just tested, a phone is not detected as a device which can send audio, even with AA disconnected.

Really sucks, I should be able to use a BT device when cabled to a phone for AA. Zero reason for it to need cable+BT.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Correct, USB audio devices don't work, just storage devices or smart devices that can pretend to be storage devices.

And, there's no realistic way to use a different BT device and AA because AA needs BT.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It amazes me how far behind AA is (and Carplay?). For starters, BT data sharing has been around since the Blackberry days. Zero need for a cable.

Second, if I'm using a cable for AA there is zero need to rely on BT. Shift all traffic to the cable. USB data tethering is even older.

Oh well, I guess I'm using the cell phone screen for Waze.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
It amazes me how far behind AA is (and Carplay?). For starters, BT data sharing has been around since the Blackberry days. Zero need for a cable.

Second, if I'm using a cable for AA there is zero need to rely on BT. Shift all traffic to the cable. USB data tethering is even older.

Oh well, I guess I'm using the cell phone screen for Waze.
I've been curious why. I think it was just easier, since the new BT specs support multiple audio channels and info, so, no wheel to reinvent. Also, less hardware and software complexity on the head unit.

Eventually, it will all move to 100% wireless AA/CP, so, it makes sense that they didn't go the other direction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.