Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Premium Member
2019 Ascent Touring with all the bells & whistles
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Ascent Touring with 48K miles. For the past few months I've noticed a sound when going over bumpy pavement at 5mph or more. It seems to be coming from the right side. It sounds kind of like one of the doors is ajar, but that's not the case. It also sounds like a possible loose ball joint, tie rod end or stabilizer bushing. I fastened all of the seatbelts in case one of them was flapping around inside the side trims. Then I removed the rear tray, tightened the spare tire retention bolt and removed all of the tools and jacks. Checked under the seats, tugged on the middle captain's chairs, and everything else I could think of, all to no avail.
I don't really want to set the Subie mechanics loose on it without exhausting all other self-remedies because that can wind up costing lots of $$ with a possibility of an "it's normal" diagnosis.
Has anyone experienced this, or can anyone suggest other things I can check?
Thank you in advance!!
Bruce

Super Moderator
Have you had someone sit in the other seats to listen for the thump? I鈥檝e found sometimes it sounds like a noise is coming from the passenger side but then the passenger thinks it鈥檚 coming from the driver side.
Just recently I had a plastic rubbing noise I could鈥檝e sworn was coming from the passenger side dash until I found out my ez pass was rubbing the driver side of the rear view mirror cable cover.
Anyway, different perspective may help narrow it down.

Reactions: BruceInMass

Registered
I have a 2019 Ascent Touring with 48K miles. For the past few months I've noticed a sound when going over bumpy pavement at 5mph or more. It seems to be coming from the right side. It sounds kind of like one of the doors is ajar, but that's not the case. It also sounds like a possible loose ball joint, tie rod end or stabilizer bushing. I fastened all of the seatbelts in case one of them was flapping around inside the side trims. Then I removed the rear tray, tightened the spare tire retention bolt and removed all of the tools and jacks. Checked under the seats, tugged on the middle captain's chairs, and everything else I could think of, all to no avail.
I don't really want to set the Subie mechanics loose on it without exhausting all other self-remedies because that can wind up costing lots of $$ with a possibility of an "it's normal" diagnosis.
Thank you in advance!!
Bruce
Let me know what you figure out. We鈥檝e had the same noise on ours and I noticed it before 5k miles. Took it to the dealer and they 鈥渃ouldn鈥檛 replicate it鈥. I can replicate it everyday hitting the same bump/pavement edge right by my house as I leave. It鈥檚 annoying. I鈥檓 tempted to put a GoPro in the wheel well to figure it out myself. We currently have 20k on the ascent.

Registered
2022 Abyss Blue Pearl Onyx
Let me know what you figure out. We鈥檝e had the same noise on ours and I noticed it before 5k miles. Took it to the dealer and they 鈥渃ouldn鈥檛 replicate it鈥. I can replicate it everyday hitting the same bump/pavement edge right by my house as I leave. It鈥檚 annoying. I鈥檓 tempted to put a GoPro in the wheel well to figure it out myself. We currently have 20k on the ascent.
GoPro isn't a bad idea if you can capture the noise. You can also use them on the outside to help triangulate it's location. Definitely can help get over the "Is there actually a noise?" that the tech is going to consider. It also gives you something to send to SoA if you have to... takes some of the he-said-she-said out of it.

Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
Is it from the rear? For the early builds the coil has a burr that will wear out the rubber mounts on the suspension eventually causing noise. There's a TSB for coil replacement that has all the details and photos.

I haven't driven my Ascent enough to get to that point.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: I made an appointment with my dealer, Granite Subaru in Hudson NH, on Friday. After they inspected the car the service manager came back and told me that it was not the strut but the front springs. She brought me into the service bay and the technician showed me the wear spots on both front springs.

They ordered the parts which will be in on Monday. They washed and vacuumed my car, told me I have a loaner if I need it while my car is being worked on. (Is everyone鈥檚 Subie dealer so attentive?) and and the biggest surprise was they are covering the repair cost even though my car has 49,000 miles on it.
love my Subaru, and Granite Subaru!

Registered
UPDATE: I made an appointment with my dealer, Granite Subaru in Hudson NH, on Friday. After they inspected the car the service manager came back and told me that it was not the strut but the front springs. She brought me into the service bay and the technician showed me the wear spots on both front springs.

They ordered the parts which will be in on Monday. They washed and vacuumed my car, told me I have a loaner if I need it while my car is being worked on. (Is everyone鈥檚 Subie dealer so attentive?) and and the biggest surprise was they are covering the repair cost even though my car has 49,000 miles on it.
love my Subaru, and Granite Subaru!

There is also a separate TSB for the front coil creaking noise, as long as they use the new updated part you'll be fine.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE 2: I left the car with Granite Subaru in Hudson, NH for a couple of days. They replaced the front springs, some stabilizers, strut bushings, etc. (I don't have the full list yet) BUT the technician says the thump noise is still there. They ordered more parts which should be in this week, and I picked up a new 2022 Ascent Premium loaner. Everything is covered by Subaru so I'm OK with it for now.

Registered
UPDATE 2: I left the car with Granite Subaru in Hudson, NH for a couple of days. They replaced the front springs, some stabilizers, strut bushings, etc. (I don't have the full list yet) BUT the technician says the thump noise is still there. They ordered more parts which should be in this week, and I picked up a new 2022 Ascent Premium loaner. Everything is covered by Subaru so I'm OK with it for now.
Found the time to get you the link to my old post in case you want to read up on the TSB.

Administrator
Possibly the top hat bushing/bearing or the end link bushings. Both, on my Ascent, would make such a noise.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I picked up the car on Saturday and it鈥檚 fixed. Here鈥檚 the timeline and parts replaced.
TSB 05-71-19R - Both front struts overhaul. 2 coil springs, LH & RH Stabilizer Links, Strut Mounts, Strut Mount Bearings, RH Complete Strut.
The tech first replaced the springs and parts as per the TSB but the noise was still present. He then discovered excess play in both strut bearings so replaced them, but the noise was still present. Then he replaced the stabilizer links, noise still present. What finally did the trick was when he replaced the RH strut. I put 130 miles on the car since I got it back and it rides as good as the 2022 loaner I had all week.
I have to once again put a plug in for Granite Subaru in Hudson, NH. Their service department is super and they treated me as if I was their most important customer. But I hear they do that to everybody鈥

Registered
Thank you in advance!!
Bruce
Hi Bruce鈥 I have the same thing happening with my 2020 Premium with the 18 inch wheels when I go over manhole covers on narrow two way streets, or over tiny potholes or bumps. It鈥檚 embarrassing that my Ascent been doing that disturbance since 22,000 miles and now I鈥檓 at 34,000 miles. But my wheel noises is coming from the front left wheel! I finally hair checked out at the Subaru dealer and they said the left strut is finished and order a replacement strut which I鈥檓 still waiting fir since July 12th. Showing how these new vehicles can鈥檛 handle the roads anymore!!! It鈥檚 definitely your struts!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It鈥檚 warranted until 36K miles with the standard warranty. You鈥檙e lucky they found it quickly. My dealer provided a loaner, hope yours did also.

Registered
It鈥檚 warranted until 36K miles with the standard warranty. You鈥檙e lucky they found it quickly. My dealer provided a loaner, hope yours did also.
Hello Robert,
I have the 2020 premium with now 34,000 miles. I have been living with that same problem since I passed 22,000 miles. I just had the Subaru dealer checked it out in July 12th before my next inspection comes up in August. The mechanic found that the front struts is the problem. They are worn out or finished!!! Now I鈥檓 waiting for this new strut to arrive!!

Registered
Possibly the top hat bushing/bearing or the end link bushings. Both, on my Ascent, would make such a noise.
Hey Robert, I agree if the top bushing is worn (I) and that is me would change the strut with the bushing as the dealer is doing now for me. 43,000 miles and both parts are bad. I never had a vehicle that is failing so quick. The parts are all on back order along with waiting for the recall parts. well, this is a thinking process for me keep the Ascent or trade it in. I cured the brake problem myself with slotted and drilled front rotors, now this.

Registered
I had that addressed in year 2 of warranty, and the noise came back just past year 3... Since the replacement I only driven 14,0000km and LH strut failed and apparently leaked fluid all over the rubber components.

They replaced only the LH parts again as part of goodwill warranty. Will see if the noise is gone as they didn't change out anything on the RH side, and not all the same parts as part of the original TSB.

I haven't put much mileage on it yet, as I only got the car back last week as part of my month long moonroof repairs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts