Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Premium Member
2019 Ascent Touring with all the bells & whistles
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Ascent Touring with 48K miles. For the past few months I've noticed a sound when going over bumpy pavement at 5mph or more. It seems to be coming from the right side. It sounds kind of like one of the doors is ajar, but that's not the case. It also sounds like a possible loose ball joint, tie rod end or stabilizer bushing. I fastened all of the seatbelts in case one of them was flapping around inside the side trims. Then I removed the rear tray, tightened the spare tire retention bolt and removed all of the tools and jacks. Checked under the seats, tugged on the middle captain's chairs, and everything else I could think of, all to no avail.
I don't really want to set the Subie mechanics loose on it without exhausting all other self-remedies because that can wind up costing lots of $$ with a possibility of an "it's normal" diagnosis.
Has anyone experienced this, or can anyone suggest other things I can check?
Thank you in advance!!
Bruce

Super Moderator
Have you had someone sit in the other seats to listen for the thump? I鈥檝e found sometimes it sounds like a noise is coming from the passenger side but then the passenger thinks it鈥檚 coming from the driver side.
Just recently I had a plastic rubbing noise I could鈥檝e sworn was coming from the passenger side dash until I found out my ez pass was rubbing the driver side of the rear view mirror cable cover.
Anyway, different perspective may help narrow it down.

Reactions: BruceInMass

Registered
I have a 2019 Ascent Touring with 48K miles. For the past few months I've noticed a sound when going over bumpy pavement at 5mph or more. It seems to be coming from the right side. It sounds kind of like one of the doors is ajar, but that's not the case. It also sounds like a possible loose ball joint, tie rod end or stabilizer bushing. I fastened all of the seatbelts in case one of them was flapping around inside the side trims. Then I removed the rear tray, tightened the spare tire retention bolt and removed all of the tools and jacks. Checked under the seats, tugged on the middle captain's chairs, and everything else I could think of, all to no avail.
I don't really want to set the Subie mechanics loose on it without exhausting all other self-remedies because that can wind up costing lots of $$ with a possibility of an "it's normal" diagnosis.
Has anyone experienced this, or can anyone suggest other things I can check?
Thank you in advance!!
Bruce
Let me know what you figure out. We鈥檝e had the same noise on ours and I noticed it before 5k miles. Took it to the dealer and they 鈥渃ouldn鈥檛 replicate it鈥. I can replicate it everyday hitting the same bump/pavement edge right by my house as I leave. It鈥檚 annoying. I鈥檓 tempted to put a GoPro in the wheel well to figure it out myself. We currently have 20k on the ascent.

Registered
2022 Abyss Blue Pearl Onyx
Let me know what you figure out. We鈥檝e had the same noise on ours and I noticed it before 5k miles. Took it to the dealer and they 鈥渃ouldn鈥檛 replicate it鈥. I can replicate it everyday hitting the same bump/pavement edge right by my house as I leave. It鈥檚 annoying. I鈥檓 tempted to put a GoPro in the wheel well to figure it out myself. We currently have 20k on the ascent.
GoPro isn't a bad idea if you can capture the noise. You can also use them on the outside to help triangulate it's location. Definitely can help get over the "Is there actually a noise?" that the tech is going to consider. It also gives you something to send to SoA if you have to... takes some of the he-said-she-said out of it.

Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
Is it from the rear? For the early builds the coil has a burr that will wear out the rubber mounts on the suspension eventually causing noise. There's a TSB for coil replacement that has all the details and photos.

I haven't driven my Ascent enough to get to that point.

Premium Member
2019 Ascent Touring with all the bells & whistles
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: I made an appointment with my dealer, Granite Subaru in Hudson NH, on Friday. After they inspected the car the service manager came back and told me that it was not the strut but the front springs. She brought me into the service bay and the technician showed me the wear spots on both front springs.

They ordered the parts which will be in on Monday. They washed and vacuumed my car, told me I have a loaner if I need it while my car is being worked on. (Is everyone鈥檚 Subie dealer so attentive?) and and the biggest surprise was they are covering the repair cost even though my car has 49,000 miles on it.
love my Subaru, and Granite Subaru!

Reactions: xydadx3

Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
UPDATE: I made an appointment with my dealer, Granite Subaru in Hudson NH, on Friday. After they inspected the car the service manager came back and told me that it was not the strut but the front springs. She brought me into the service bay and the technician showed me the wear spots on both front springs.

They ordered the parts which will be in on Monday. They washed and vacuumed my car, told me I have a loaner if I need it while my car is being worked on. (Is everyone鈥檚 Subie dealer so attentive?) and and the biggest surprise was they are covering the repair cost even though my car has 49,000 miles on it.
love my Subaru, and Granite Subaru!

There is also a separate TSB for the front coil creaking noise, as long as they use the new updated part you'll be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts