Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium, 2016 Forester, (previously owned 2001 Forester & 1985 GL hatchback)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Ascent Premium with rear-A/C controls. I have what I believe to be a unique problem with my A/C because my efforts to find any similar posts produced no results. If there was a post containing a similar problem, I did not find it. So... my apologies in advance.

I'll turn on the A/C unit using the dash controls, select MAX A/C, and select the recirculation button. After several minutes waiting expectantly for the cool air, the temperature of the air coming from the vents will have only dropped a few degrees. It is not pushing out cool air like the cool air that I have experienced from many other vehicles, a number of which were Subarus that I previously owned. My Ascent is my 4th Subaru. My family has owned well over a dozen separate Subarus...16 or 17.

Based on what I've read here, there have been issues with some Ascents being sold with either leaks in the cooling system, or the cooling system was underfilled with coolant. That might explain why the air is not as cool as experience tells me it should be. However, I discovered that when I turn on the rear A/C unit, the air temperature coming from the dashboard vents will begin to drop, and cooler, more comfortable air will start flooding the front of the vehicle.

From reading forum posts, there is a second A/C unit (not sure of terminology) for the rear of the vehicle. It makes sense that the front and rear systems will be connected. But it seems to me that the temperature of the air coming from the front A/C system should not be affected by the rear A/C control panel. They should operate somewhat independently of each other.

I plan to bring my Ascent to the dealer for regular maintenance shortly, and I will mention the problems with the A/C. I want to ensure that my A/C is working properly before taking a few trips this summer.

Has anyone experienced this particular circumstance with their A/C? Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Thank You!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 Ascent Premium with rear-A/C controls. I have what I believe to be a unique problem with my A/C because my efforts to find any similar posts produced no results. If there was a post containing a similar problem, I did not find it. So... my apologies in advance.

I'll turn on the A/C unit using the dash controls, select MAX A/C, and select the recirculation button. After several minutes waiting expectantly for the cool air, the temperature of the air coming from the vents will have only dropped a few degrees. It is not pushing out cool air like the cool air that I have experienced from many other vehicles, a number of which were Subarus that I previously owned. My Ascent is my 4th Subaru. My family has owned well over a dozen separate Subarus...16 or 17.

Based on what I've read here, there have been issues with some Ascents being sold with either leaks in the cooling system, or the cooling system was underfilled with coolant. That might explain why the air is not as cool as experience tells me it should be. However, I discovered that when I turn on the rear A/C unit, the air temperature coming from the dashboard vents will begin to drop, and cooler, more comfortable air will start flooding the front of the vehicle.

From reading forum posts, there is a second A/C unit (not sure of terminology) for the rear of the vehicle. It makes sense that the front and rear systems will be connected. But it seems to me that the temperature of the air coming from the front A/C system should not be affected by the rear A/C control panel. They should operate somewhat independently of each other.

I plan to bring my Ascent to the dealer for regular maintenance shortly, and I will mention the problems with the A/C. I want to ensure that my A/C is working properly before taking a few trips this summer.

Has anyone experienced this particular circumstance with their A/C? Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Thank You!
I had the same issue that you describe. The dealer was able to fix under warranty without problem and has worked well since.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium, 2016 Forester, (previously owned 2001 Forester & 1985 GL hatchback)
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the same issue that you describe. The dealer was able to fix under warranty without problem and has worked well since.
AWESOME! That is good to know. Thank You!

Did you also think it weird that it worked that way?

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
941 Posts
Can you cite what the fix was from the invoice? Was it some sort of system adjustment they made? Or a part they replaced? Or maybe it was low on charge?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
865 Posts
The a/c system has 1 compressor, 1 condenser and 2 evaporators (one for the front and one for the rear). A refrigerant leak anywhere in the system would affect the entire system. The fact that turning on the rear evaporator helped the front evaporator to cool down means that the rear system temporarily supplied the system with refrigerant but extended use would have caused both the front and rear to lose effectiveness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The a/c system has 1 compressor, 1 condenser and 2 evaporators (one for the front and one for the rear). A refrigerant leak anywhere in the system would affect the entire system. The fact that turning on the rear evaporator helped the front evaporator to cool down means that the rear system temporarily supplied the system with refrigerant but extended use would have caused both the front and rear to lose effectiveness.
Thank you. That's pretty much what I thought could be happening. I had thought that maybe the front unit was leeching from the rear unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I reviewed Work Service Program bulletin WK-20, and based on my Ascent production date of January 2019, my vehicle falls into the production date range of January 4, 2019 – March 8, 2019, and might be affected by the leaking air conditioning pipe. I made a service appointment for next week for the 12,000 mile service, and added comments about the problem with the front A/C system.

I'll provide an update after having my car returned.

Thank You for all of the comments and suggestions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts