Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just placed a factory order for 2021 Limited, so now I'm preparing my list of upgrades while I wait. One of them I'm really curious about is the ambient lighting that is in the Touring. Is it possible to add that myself with the OEM p/ns to the Limited in a "plug and play" type way? Or is it more involved then that?

I know there is the foot well illumination, but I'm looking for something more for the back of the cabin for the kids.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
356 Posts
The ambient lighting in the Touring is very well hidden in the recesses of the door panels and dash panels. I would think it would be a lot of cost and effort to try to replicate that if not equipped from the factory. The dash panel and all four door panels have this ambient lighting, so it would be a lot of wiring and additional parts. I don't think this lighting is offered as an accessory the same way the footwell lighting is.

I can take some pictures of ours if you like, so you can see the different locations. You can turn this lighting off through an on-screen menu, but we really like having it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
IDK, but I looked into adding some door lights to my '19 Premium and found the door harness PNs were different leading me to believe I'd have to replace those too...and maybe the harnesses that those plugged into, etc...

Anyway, you can compare the PNs between relevant parts in your '21 Limited and the '21 Touring and see what differs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IDK, but I looked into adding some door lights to my '19 Premium and found the door harness PNs were different leading me to believe I'd have to replace those too...and maybe the harnesses that those plugged into, etc...

Anyway, you can compare the PNs between relevant parts in your '21 Limited and the '21 Touring and see what differs.
Ahh. If the harness is different, than that's painful. I was hoping they kept it the same to get higher volume and lower cost.

Where can I find the PNs? Is there a good website that has exploded diagrams that I can flip through with PNs called out on it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ambient lighting in the Touring is very well hidden in the recesses of the door panels and dash panels. I would think it would be a lot of cost and effort to try to replicate that if not equipped from the factory. The dash panel and all four door panels have this ambient lighting, so it would be a lot of wiring and additional parts. I don't think this lighting is offered as an accessory the same way the footwell lighting is.

I can take some pictures of ours if you like, so you can see the different locations. You can turn this lighting off through an on-screen menu, but we really like having it.
Ahh, I didn't realize the ambient lighting was controlled from the on-screen menu. I wonder if this is only compatible with the Nav system, which I won't have.

I would love to see some pictures though. Thanks!

·
Registered
981 Posts
... I was hoping they kept it the same to get higher volume and lower cost....
That was my expectation when I started looking into it. You can go to a on-line parts site and start drilling down to check PNs. Here're are a few.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
356 Posts
Ahh, I didn't realize the ambient lighting was controlled from the on-screen menu. I wonder if this is only compatible with the Nav system, which I won't have.

I would love to see some pictures though. Thanks!
That's a good question about compatibility with navigation. I reckon the ambient lighting system (I'll just call it ALS for short) is powered by a Body Control Module (BCM) in the vehicle somewhere. The navigation menu probably tells the BCM to enable the ALS or turn it off though flipping a boolean variable to yes or no, 1 or 0, etc.. Now that I'm typing this, I think I recall the ALS' brightness is also controlled by the interior lighting pot in the dash, making the brightness of the ALS correlate with the brightness of your dash lighting. It sounds, from @Merope 's notes above, that the harness is different anyway...but even if the harness was the same, it's likely that the navigation system's menu controls an on/off variable in the BCM somewhere, and the ALS wouldn't work without it.

I will attempt to get some pictures today that show the ALS and how much light it provides.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
356 Posts

Actually, I think you can get a pretty good sense of it in this picture, from Subaru's website (link: https://www.subaru.com/guides/ascent/my19/mobile/style/_assets/images/interior-lighting/lighting2.jpg).

There's a ALS strip above each of the dash "shelves" as seen directly in front of the passenger seat in that image. There's also a small shelf to the left of the steering wheel, and I think that one is lit also. The ALS strip is mounted above the shelf and shines down on it. Each door panel (four total) also has an ALS strip just below the door handle as seen in the driver's door panel in the image above. It shines down to illuminate the ivory-colored pleather section. The Touring also comes with lighted cupholders, as seen above. This may be swappable to other trims, I don't know. I think the blue footwell lighting shown is from the accessory footwell lighting kit. We don't have that on ours and I couldn't say how bright or dim it is.

The image above is not in total darkness and there's obviously other flood lighting they've used to show the seating color, etc., so the ALS doesn't really stand-out in that picture. In a completely dark car, though, it really does add a rich and warm feel to the interior.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Actually, I think you can get a pretty good sense of it in this picture, from Subaru's website (link: https://www.subaru.com/guides/ascent/my19/mobile/style/_assets/images/interior-lighting/lighting2.jpg).

There's a ALS strip above each of the dash "shelves" as seen directly in front of the passenger seat in that image. There's also a small shelf to the left of the steering wheel, and I think that one is lit also. The ALS strip is mounted above the shelf and shines down on it. Each door panel (four total) also has an ALS strip just below the door handle as seen in the driver's door panel in the image above. It shines down to illuminate the ivory-colored pleather section. The Touring also comes with lighted cupholders, as seen above. This may be swappable to other trims, I don't know. I think the blue footwell lighting shown is from the accessory footwell lighting kit. We don't have that on ours and I couldn't say how bright or dim it is.

The image above is not in total darkness and there's obviously other flood lighting they've used to show the seating color, etc., so the ALS doesn't really stand-out in that picture. In a completely dark car, though, it really does add a rich and warm feel to the interior.
I agree, it looks awesome. Looking at the Subaru parts websites, it looks like it will fit into the door panels. This is from the Limited version ( you can see in the web address), and its exactly the same as the Touring door panel. The only difference is it doesn't show the Ambient Lighting P/N info to order on the Limited page (obviously). Its the 94150B/C highlighted in yellow.

So, step 1, it fits.

Step 2, power and control. That will be tricky, but if I can get it tied into the interior dimming switch, that would be awesome. Such that its powered when headlights are on. I don't care to have any menu of it on/off via the touchscreen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, found the front ambient light pieces too. Looks like its in the drawing for the Limited, but not a P/N in the Limited table.

I do see the door cable P/Ns are different. There's actually 2 different P/Ns for the Limited, which are different than the Touring. I'm guessing its 2 different P/Ns on the Limited due to the HK and non-HK audio cables. This may be the roadblock to doing this that @Merope mentioned.

Is there a way to tell what's different about each cable P/N? And has anyone taken the rear door panels off (when upgrading the speakers / adding sound insulation) and noticed a spare connector inside the door? :)

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
356 Posts
The Touring also has power folding mirrors (starting in 2020), so that could be an additional change to the harness in the Touring trim, at least for the front door harnesses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts