Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ideal trim option would be a Premium Model with a moonroof. However, I'm not interested in the big wheels. While they are better for some things (paved road handling, impressing teenage boys), they are worse at almost everything else. (snow, gas mileage, durability, acceleration, offroad performance, etc.)

Looked at the CODE 14 package, it seems you that a moonroof and "dubs" are a package deal.

I live in Alaska and end up on many gravel, backcountry roads, as well as deal with a lot of snow in town. I prefer the utility of uglier, fatter wheels over the sexiness of 20's.

Surely I'm not alone?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I ordered the Touring model and wish I could get smaller wheels. I would rather have the more cushioned ride along with better fuel economy.

While I do mainly on road driving the roads I drive on are in horrible condition and I might try and get a different set of wheels but it will be hard to convince my wife of this after just getting a new car.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I don't care for either. Sun/moonroof is useful in area w/ mild humidity, which is anywhere but Houston. As for the rim size, it's difficult to move away from the normal and being competitive - it's all about the appeal and 20" rims are the trend.

·
Administrator
7,823 Posts
No, you aren't. I want everything in the Touring except the 20" wheels. I plan on trying to trade mine back in for the 18" wheels, or trading with someone who gets a lower trim who prefers the 20" wheels.

Alternatively, I am considering running one of these tires on the 20" wheels:
Cooper ® Discoverer SRX Tires 245/50R20 | COOP 90000026095 | Free Shipping!
Cooper ® Evolution H/T 245/50R20 102H Tires | 90000029118

Or at worst, these:
https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/toyo/celsius-cuv/p/TV190002470

(but preferably, I want 18" wheels and tires)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah, I would LOVE to forego the sunroof and larger wheels but had to have the navigation on the limited, warts and all.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Clearly you’re not the only one but I think they bundle things together in a way that they think will be most popular. Obviously there are some Subaru super fans on here that enjoy customizing their rides. Me, on the other hand will be using this as a mom mobile so I like the pretty big tires and the moonroof. If they offered too many different configurations it would be too tedious to produce.

·
Administrator
7,823 Posts
Dealers wont have an issue upgrading the base models with 20inch wheels doing a swap for the 18in wheels. I would do the same.
I'm crossing my fingers. So far, my dealers have been saying no, which, I suspect, is because they won't have any actual inventory, but instead have pre-sold their allotment through most of the summer. :sad:

·
Registered
155 Posts
My ideal trim option would be a Premium Model with a moonroof. However, I'm not interested in the big wheels. While they are better for some things (paved road handling, impressing teenage boys), they are worse at almost everything else. (snow, gas mileage, durability, acceleration, offroad performance, etc.)

Looked at the CODE 14 package, it seems you that a moonroof and "dubs" are a package deal.

I live in Alaska and end up on many gravel, backcountry roads, as well as deal with a lot of snow in town. I prefer the utility of uglier, fatter wheels over the sexiness of 20's.

Surely I'm not alone?
This may be due to weight issue with the sunroof and the 18" wheels not being rated for the heavier vehivle

·
Registered
978 Posts
If I were to order today and could order what I want?

A touring with bench second row, no panoramic roof “I would probably drop a boat or bike through it” 18inch wheels, hitch and all the rest of the Touring gear is great.

·
Super Moderator
892 Posts
I priced out a Limited today and after all the addons for the HK package, it costs more than a Touring.

Part of me wants to go for the CC, thinking it's easier in/out of the back. Not sure I'd ever truly need "8" people capacity, and not sure I'd want to be in the middle seat if I did. I could see how cargo might limit me a bit, if you had a ton of cargo in the back then you're down to a 4-seater.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I priced out a Limited today and after all the addons for the HK package, it costs more than a Touring.

Part of me wants to go for the CC, thinking it's easier in/out of the back. Not sure I'd ever truly need "8" people capacity, and not sure I'd want to be in the middle seat if I did. I could see how cargo might limit me a bit, if you had a ton of cargo in the back then you're down to a 4-seater.
I priced out a limited with the tech package and am still saving about $2500 from the touring. What addons did you include in the comparison?

·
Super Moderator
892 Posts
Yeah, you're right. I was factoring in the options. The only things different is the $2950 technology package and $220ish for the Footwell Lights.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If I remember correctly, the 20" wheels would require an EPA adendum because they bring 1MPG lower on both hwy and city figures.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts

Surely I'm not alone?
I haven't found the moon/sunroof practical in my area (hot and humid most seasons), more likely useful in Alaska. I come from SUV experience with large/meaty tires, so 20in rim is way too big to mount any off-road tires. I wish it comes with 18" for the Limited and up.

·
Administrator
7,823 Posts
If I remember correctly, the 20" wheels would require an EPA adendum because they bring 1MPG lower on both hwy and city figures.
I suspect it's not the tires, but the 1,500 pounds additional weight on the configurations they expect to be selling.
  • Base: 4,430pounds
  • Premium: 4,477/4,451 pounds (pkg 12-7/11-8)
  • Limited: 4,608 pounds (pkg 23 8 pass) - low of 4,499 pounds base config
  • Touring: 4,603 (pkg 31 - only stated weight)
They expect Package 23 to be sold on most of the Limiteds from what I can glean, so, I suspect that the fuel economy is based on that configuration. That makes the 20" wheel variants a lot heavier than the 18" wheel variants.

I could be entirely wrong. But that much of a difference in weight would explain it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I suspect it's not the tires, but the 1,500 pounds additional weight on the configurations they expect to be selling.
  • Base: 4,430pounds
  • Premium: 4,477/4,451 pounds (pkg 12-7/11-8)
  • Limited: 4,608 pounds (pkg 23 8 pass) - low of 4,499 pounds base config
  • Touring: 4,603 (pkg 31 - only stated weight)
They expect Package 23 to be sold on most of the Limiteds from what I can glean, so, I suspect that the fuel economy is based on that configuration. That makes the 20" wheel variants a lot heavier than the 18" wheel variants.

I could be entirely wrong. But that much of a difference in weight would explain it.

The trainers told us that the tires used on the 20" wheels have a higher rolling resistance and the wheel profile isn't as efficient in the air-stream. I would doubt 150lbs would make a noticeable difference for MPG. (I know the 1500lbs you mentioned was a typo)

As much as I would LOVE some LP Adventure conversions on our show-floor, the owners rightfully are staying away from it due to liability from changing a known safety factor. I'm hoping to see some LPA rigs at FL4TFEST on Aug 4th. There may be an off-road fun course this year instead of just the Rally-cross track.

·
Administrator
7,823 Posts
I would doubt 150lbs would make a noticeable difference for MPG. (I know the 1500lbs you mentioned was a typo)
LMAO!!! 1,500 pounds!!!! Yes, 150 pounds, and more coffee before I post next time. :D :D :D I was thinking 150 in my head too, and I've type 1,500 more than once at that time in the morning. Sigh. :sad:

I'm speculating that they're just at the limit... but the rolling resistance of the "more wheel, less tire" is a better explanation. Even without the 1,500 ton difference. :grin::tango_face_wink:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts