Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there are two holes in the underside of the hood which I assumed were both to hold the hood prop rod. But, maybe im crazy or the second hole is for something as the prop rod doesnt fit in the second hole. See a few pics. Anybody else notice this? Is it used for something else? I had 2 on my old pilot so assumed thats what it was for.

White Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Automotive wheel system Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle Car

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
It only goes in the one.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Funny I watched a review on YouTube where the guy commented on the hood prop...”Subaru,a hood prop,really “ and goes on to say the hood itself was “heavy”.
?‍♂

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is pretty heavy! I wish it would hold the hood up a bit higher actually to get some more clearance and light in to see better

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
Funny I watched a review on YouTube where the guy commented on the hood prop...”Subaru,a hood prop,really “ and goes on to say the hood itself was “heavy”.
?‍♂
I feel a bit more secure under a hood prop. Its not going to close on me when its propped open. Try opening an older steel hood then say again the hood is heavy! ?

·
Registered
816 Posts
While having the strut type hood prop would make life easier I’m always leery of failure especially in cold environments.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
While having the strut type hood prop would make life easier I’m always leery of failure especially in cold environments.
Struts do fail when they get old, especially when it's cold, but they are relatively easy to replace. They give a lot of warning before they can fail dangerously.

I prefer struts to props any day. If a strut mod comes out for the Ascent, I'll be one of the first to order one.

·
Registered
816 Posts
On my ‘11 Accord there were 2 positions,one at about 10 o’clock and the 2nd at about 12 o’clock...looking from the sides

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
I find it comfortable to drive with my hand or hands in most positions on the Ascent. I have a bit more road time than most others though, so, I've gotten more comfortable. Early on, I found 10/2 to be kinda awkward (arm position wise) yet more comfortable (driving wise).

I have driven many non-powered, direct connected steering cars (and motorcycles, which are the epitome of exacting control), so, I think as soon as I got used to the similarities, I was good to go. I've got no expectations or allusions that others necessarily would prefer it, much less should prefer it - to each their own. I have the "advantage" of being on my 27th vehicle due to the ridiculous amount of driving I do, so, I had a copious amount of time in direct connect steering to prepare me for the copious amount of time behind the wheel in the Ascent.

Nowadays, the "game" is to see how many times my "ultra-precise" track/angle selection causes the car to think my hands aren't on the wheel (and thus get the "put hands on wheel" warning). At just about the 41,000 mile mark, it's increasing.

I really think it's a personal preference, and would love to see a user selectable setting.

·
Registered
775 Posts
It's not that uncommon that more mainstream cars would have a hood prop, versus higher-end cars.

I don't have any issue with it, fortunately, I don't really have the need to be under the hood very often for anything (the issues I've had in the past were not engine related); hopefully that's the case for pretty much everyone else as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So, there are two holes in the underside of the hood which I assumed were both to hold the hood prop rod. But, maybe im crazy or the second hole is for something as the prop rod doesnt fit in the second hole. See a few pics. Anybody else notice this? Is it used for something else? I had 2 on my old pilot so assumed thats what it was for.

View attachment 1717 View attachment 1718
What does the owner's manual say?
Common sense would suggest that the support rod would NOT go into the lower hole near the hinge. What shape is the upper hole? What shape is the plastic on the end of the support rod? For example, you can't put a round peg in a square hole. This isn't a Honda product, it's a Subaru. I think I'm starting to lose patience with this forum.

·
Registered
965 Posts
So, there are two holes in the underside of the hood which I assumed were both to hold the hood prop rod.
Having worked in stamping, and pulled many a hood and underhood off the press, here's the skinny on the holes.

It may strike you as odd, but having extra holes in the steel actually helps make it STRONGER than a single piece, especially when you're doing big sheets and welded pieces like these. They also cut out holes to help reduce weight overall. That's the main reason for the prop rod now instead of the struts - with the additional weight of the plastic air vents on the underside of the hood, gas struts would have had to be much heavier. And let's face it - you really need to work on the turbo, you need that hood out of the way. Heck of a lot easier to just lean it back on the windshield than disconnect gas struts.

Also, the minor detail that it's $40 for TWO gas shocks for the 2019 Outback versus $10 for ONE prop rod for the Ascent (or 2020 Outback or 2019 Forester) and the economy of scale comes into play. Spending $2.4 million for gas shocks versus $600,000 for prop rods saves the company money per vehicle.

Side note - My computer hard drive crashed and I couldn't remember my password. So now that I'm back, I'll be checking this forum each day I'm at work like I do at the Subaru Outback forum.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It only goes in the one.
So, working on most other Subaru models there is a way to use the hood prop to hold the hood extra high (strut tower hole on WRX/STi, or different holes for the hood strut on other models). I assumed this was something Subaru incorporated into all their cars, but I couldn't figure one out on the Ascent. Do you know if there is a way?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Also, the minor detail that it's $40 for TWO gas shocks for the 2019 Outback versus $10 for ONE prop rod for the Ascent (or 2020 Outback or 2019 Forester) and the economy of scale comes into play. Spending $2.4 million for gas shocks versus $600,000 for prop rods saves the company money per vehicle
I am sure most people would gladly pay $30 more for the vehicle and have TWO gas shocks. Subaru could drop the worthless "carpeted" floor mats, since most people replace them immediately. The prop rod gets in my way when I am working on installing mods to my vehicle.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts