Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I've seen a number of people trying or considering totally unsuitable rims for the Ascent.

The rear axle GVWR is 3,296 pounds on ALL trim levels. With a safety factor, that means any rim you consider should be around 1,800/1,850 pounds, or higher. Many of the Motegi and every Sparco rim I've researched so far do not meet that need. Same applies to various other rims - especially ones designed for far lighter cars (like the STI). Some (eg: the Sparcos) are often as low as 1,350 pounds.

Discount Tire usually publishes the ratings on their site. Tire Rack does not generally post the info, but an email to them will get you the info you need.

The stock 20" tires (102H) are rated at 1,874 pounds, and the stock 18" tires (105H) are rated at 2,039 pounds.

Your tires should also be at least 1,874 pounds (102 rated), or higher.

Also, keep in mind that the letter is the speed rating. "H" is 130mph, which is also where the car is artificially speed governed to. Besides the load ratings, be aware of the speed ratings of any tires you consider.

Here's the details of the stock rims, tires and lugs, which you should match as closely as possible or exceed:

18" Stock Tires/Rims
  • Tire size: 245/60R18 105H @ 35psi (2,039 pounds and 130mph)
  • Wheel size: 18 x 7½ J
  • Inset: 55 (2.17)
  • P.C.D. (aka: "bolt pattern"): 114.3 (4.5)
  • RPMs: 682 revolutions per mile

20" Stock Tires/Rims
  • Tire size: 245/50R20 102H @ 33psi (1,874 pounds and 130mph)
  • Wheel size: 20 x 7½ J
  • RPMs: 681 revolutions per mile
NOTE: larger tires may require higher air pressure (eg: my 17" all terrains need higher air pressure than my 20" stock, due to the much much larger sidewalls (31% more sidewall)).

Lug Nuts:
  • M12 (12mm) x 1.25
  • Conical seat
  • 60° cone
  • Minimum 0.945" inside length.
Lug nut torque down: 89 ft-lbs, BUT, as measured on a torque wrench, it is supposed to be 88-110 ft-lbs.

NOTE: Do NOT use the stock lug nuts on aftermarket rims without confirming that they are appropriate. The seat area does not necessarily match. For instance, it may not be flat conical, but may be spherical seat (round or ball shape), or flat washer (aka: mag type). Also, the inside length for the lugs may be too little or too much, depending on how much metal is between the lug nut and rotor surface. Always consult your tire shop that you purchased the rims from to select the appropriate lug nuts for the rim you chose.

BE CAREFUL THAT WHAT YOU CHOOSE IS SUITED TO THE TASK:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thank you. Does offset have a factor with towing capacity as well? I plan on towing with my premium but absolutely hate the wheels. I'm aware of the bearing problems that are fairly common on Subarus. I just really want an aftermarket wheel with the same specs as factory but have had no luck finding them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a follow-up question for you Robert. I'm currently researching wheels for our Ascent and was delving into the world of wheel load ratings. Information that I found from some wheel manufacturers (Cragar, TSW) and vendors (TireRack) all said that a safe minimum wheel load rating is 1/2 of the highest GAWR so, if the Ascent's rear axle's GAWR is 3,296 lbs and is the highest, that'd be a minimum wheel load rating of 1,648 lbs. So I was wondering where you located the information that an additional safety factor was needed that bumps the minimum safe wheel load rating for the Ascent up to 1,800-1,850 lbs?

Not trying to challenge you because I'm certainly no expert and I know you are an asset here and have located and shared some great information that has helped many, but I just wanted to inquire as to the source of your information since that 1,800-1,850 lbs minimum seems to contradict what's being said by those in the wheel industry. Obviously higher wheel load ratings will always be better and stronger, but if 1/2 the highest GAWR is the industry standard for a safe minimum then that frees up a lot more choices of wheels that can be safely used on the Ascent.

*As an aside, while I wasn't specifically looking for tire info, what I incidentally came across along my way appears to indicate that the same formula of 1/2 of the highest GAWR is how to determine the safe minimum load rating for tires too (according to Toyo Tires, for example). In fact, it appears that the FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) require auto manufacturers to equip vehicles with tires with load indexes high enough that two tires on the same axle, when their load ratings are added up, don't have a load rating less than that axle's GAWR. So in that case, for the Ascent's highest GAWR of 3,296, the tires would only need to have a minimum load index of 98 (1,653 lbs). Again, I agree higher is always better, but it looks like the industry feels that's a safe minimum however if there's information you found that says otherwise please let me know.

Hi all, I've seen a number of people trying or considering totally unsuitable rims for the Ascent.

The rear axle GVWR is 3,296 pounds on ALL trim levels. With a safety factor, that means any rim you consider should be around 1,800/1,850 pounds, or higher. Many of the Motegi and every Sparco rim I've researched so far do not meet that need. Same applies to various other rims - especially ones designed for far lighter cars (like the STI). Some (eg: the Sparcos) are often as low as 1,350 pounds.

Discount Tire usually publishes the ratings on their site. Tire Rack does not generally post the info, but an email to them will get you the info you need.

The stock 20" tires (102H) are rated at 1,874 pounds, and the stock 18" tires (105H) are rated at 2,039 pounds.

Also, keep in mind that the letter is the speed rating. "H" is 130mph, which is also where the car is artificially speed governed to. Besides the load ratings, be aware of the speed ratings of any tires you consider.

Here's the details of the stock rims, tires and lugs, which you should match as closely as possible or exceed:

18" Stock Tires/Rims
20" Stock Tires/Rims
NOTE: larger tires may require higher air pressure (eg: my 17" all terrains need higher air pressure than my 20" stock, due to the much much larger sidewalls (31% more sidewall)).

Lug Nuts:
  • M12 (12mm) x 1.25
  • Conical seat
  • 60° cone
Lug nut torque down: 89 ft-lbs, BUT, as measured on a torque wrench, it is supposed to be 88-110 ft-lbs.

NOTE: Do NOT use the stock lug nuts on aftermarket rims without confirming that they are appropriate. The seat area does not necessarily match. For instance, it may not be flat conical, but may be spherical seat (round or ball shape), or flat washer (aka: mag type). Also, the inside length for the lugs may be too little or too much, depending on how much metal is between the lug nut and rotor surface. Always consult your tire shop that you purchased the rims from to select the appropriate lug nuts for the rim you chose.

BE CAREFUL THAT WHAT YOU CHOOSE IS SUITED TO THE TASK:

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Subaru's lowest rated tire has a safety rating of 14% over GAWR-R.

Rim weight loads are static loads. Alas, many of us don't drive our cars like a regular front wheel drive sedan, so, I personally think that the safety factor is important, especially since it's so very easy to fully load the car to its weight limit, as we did on our Virginia trip. It's near impossible to evenly load a car in those situations. Our clothes took up as much space as our far heavier gear. Each person weighs different amounts. So, the safety factor allows for the inevitable uneven loading, as well as shifting weight.

Consider one other thing... towing. Water in a trailer moves around, yanking weight left and right. That can shift a hundred pounds left or right on the tongue (and thus on the rims and tires). Anyone who's battled trailer sway knows how hard a trailer can yank.

Then there's pot holes, or those of us who off road...

So, with all of those factors in mind, that's why I suggest a similar safety factor to the lowest rated tires on the Ascent (their 20" 102H rated tires, which are rated at 1,874 pounds).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks. I agree somewhat and I also tend to go towards the safer end of the spectrum whenever I can (our main reason for getting the Ascent). I even went down that rabbit hole regarding static and dynamic loads and found it interesting that the two often aren't related. It's apparently accepted in the wheel industry that just because one wheel has a noticeably higher static load rating than another doesn't mean it'll have an actual higher dynamic load rating than that other one. The construction, composition, size, form, and other physical properties come into play once all that movement is involved and those static load ratings aren't much of a factor. Anyways, after seeing that these wheel manufacturers, who also produce wheels for full-size SUVs and pickup trucks that are likely to tow and haul way more than an Ascent ever will and be subjected to even harsher dynamic loads, still advise that 1/2 the higher GAWR is a safe formula for the minimum load rating across the board I couldn't see how an Ascent would have a unique need over something like a Chevrolet Suburban or a Ford F-150. That's why I was curious if the info suggesting a higher load rating than the industry-accepted formula prescribed was from Subaru or some other wheel manufacturer, just so I could understand.

Personally it isn't really an issue for us. The setup I think we've just about settled on is well in excess of what's necessary; wheels with a 2100 lbs load rating and tires with a 112 load index (2,469 lbs). I just figured that knowing that the wheel industry's formula indicates that a safe minimum would be 1,648 lbs might allow others here some more choices that are still within that safety threshold.

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just figured that knowing that the wheel industry's formula indicates that a safe minimum would be 1,648 lbs might allow others here some more choices that are still within that safety threshold.
Apparently, there's no set standard, though I do know the Subaru OEM rims have generally been rated much higher than simple GAWR/2 calculations (which I also took into consideration). Of course, Subaru likes overbuilding, so... (???) I dunno.

It's really interesting, but Subaru uses a 14% safety factor on our CVTs as well. Our CVT's torque safety margin? 14%. We go NOWHERE near it, btw. But it was neat seeing that figure in the design specs. (It's rated for 508.9 lb-ft of torque)

If you dig through the off roading communities (including things like the Toyota Nation/Tacoma communities), you'll see their non-industry standard, is 15-20% on static load over highest GAWR. I took that into account as well.

Personally (the final factor I considered), I want anything I do to be considered outside of the point of failure, or outside of a cause of failure. So, in meeting or exceeding their safety margin, I can say "uh, wasn't me... please fix this under warranty".

Did you get TSWs? I love their rims, alas the 17" ones I tried wouldn't clear our big front calipers. SOOO close though. I really really really wanted the TSW Ascents - not just because of the name, lol!!! ;) :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
25 Posts
No, we're actually looking to go with the 18" Vision Cross II's in silver.

The TSW Ascents were briefly in the running, but in the 18" diameter I want they only come in an 8.5" width (the Visions are only 8" wide). One reason I'm going with aftermarket wheels is to widen the overall stance just a tad, but I didn't want to go quite that far out. As much as I like Subaru's design language, the one quirk in my eyes is how much their factory wheels are tucked in on the Ascent (and the Outback, too) - I understand it's for less drag and better gas mileage, but it just looks like they're sitting on narrow stilts. But at the same time I don't want to go to wide and risk premature wear to the suspension and steering components.

Also I don't want the wheel to be that wide because I want the tire sidewall to have more of an ability to curve out away from the wheel. That way I hope to protect the lip of the wheel a bit more from any possible curb rash or other damage from road debris or potholes. That's the other reason for downsizing from the Touring's standard 20" wheels and skinny sidewalls.

Also why we're likely going to go with 255/60-18 tires...only 1.4% larger overall diameter than stock (so speedo is only off by 1 mph at 70 mph) but the extra width and taller sidewall should give me that protection I crave. In poking around here haven't seen anyone mention running that size, but overall they're dimensionally the same as the 255/50-20 size that I have seen people say doesn't/shouldn't cause any rubbing. Granted there aren't as many all terrain options for 18" wheels as there are for 17", but I'm currently leaning towards the Nitto Terra Grapplers in that size.

There's a Discount Tire store manager that's awesome on deals and helping out in our local Jeep crowd. He worked with me on various wheel/tire sizes for my Jeep and got me a killer deal, so much so that I happily drove over an hour to his store despite the fact there are 67 other Discount Tire locations that are closer (no joke), so I may see if I can come in and run through some test fits of different combos with him for the Ascent before I pull the trigger.

Yeah, I know I over-analyze the little details, my wife gives me a hard time about nitpicking over a half inch here and a pound there, but it sure makes me feel better! :LOL:

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
24 Posts
PM me a price- I haven't even taken delivery of my ascent but am pricing out 18" and 20" snow tire/wheel options

·
Registered
2 Posts

18" Stock Tires/Rims
20" Stock Tires/Rims

Lug Nuts:
  • M12 (12mm) x 1.25
  • Conical seat
  • 60° cone

Hello there..!!
I am new to the forum and about to purchase a 2020 Limited. I am also looking to downsize wheel from a 20" to 18" just because I have a property in the mts. that doesn't have paved roads. I have read a lot of what you've posted and I thing I have it down.
this is the tire Im looking at:

Continental Terraincontact A/T

SIZE
UTQG
TIRE WEIGHT​
245/60R18
105H SL
2,039 lbs​
44 psi​
12/32"​
34 lbs​
7-8.5"​
7"​
9.8"​
8.6"​
29.6"​
702​
US

other than that, the rims I choose need to be rated 1850+. is this correct?

THANK YOU..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello there..!!
I am new to the forum and about to purchase a 2020 Limited. I am also looking to downsize wheel from a 20" to 18" just because I have a property in the mts. that doesn't have paved roads. I have read a lot of what you've posted and I thing I have it down.
this is the tire Im looking at:

Continental Terraincontact A/T

SIZE
UTQG
TIRE WEIGHT​
245/60R18
105H SL
2,039 lbs​
44 psi​
12/32"​
34 lbs​
7-8.5"​
7"​
9.8"​
8.6"​
29.6"​
702​
US

other than that, the rims I choose need to be rated 1850+. is this correct?

THANK YOU..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Carlos, yes, that's correct!

One note, I'd inflate them to about 34-35 psi, instead of the 33 psi that's normal for an Ascent with 18" wheels. The reason is because the all terrains are a little mushier and require a little more air to handle better on the road.

I ran the TerrainContacts on my 2010 Outback for over 50,000 miles. They had PLENTY of tread on them, and, like my Ascent, I did not treat my Outback kindly, with numerous off-road adventures. Just remember to rotate them regularly, with every oil change (every 6,000 miles... a little less if you do a bunch of off roading), and they will last a long time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like we will not be downsizing the wheels. We are going to buy our Ascent with the Falken WildPeak A/T Trail 245/50R20
Open to any suggestions..!!

BTW, Subaru of America has an incentive right now.
We are getting $1,500 for our purchase after negotiating best deal with dealer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone priced out 18" and 20" factory wheels at the dealer?
I know this is an old post, but we picked up our 2021 Ascent Touring today and the dealer wanted $360/wheel for the 18" base models wheels to use with snow tires, or $1440/set of 4, not including $200 for TPMS sensors.

Instead bought a set of lightly used 18" Subaru brand Ascent wheels for $555 shipped free, that will be here next Wednesday. So, that's slightly over 1/3 the cost of new ones.

I'm going to use them with our old Tribeca's Yokahama Ice Guard winter tires in 255/55R18 with tread on two at 9/32 and the other two at 8/32 of an inch. At www.wiltheyfit.com it says when the speedo shows 60mph that actual speed will be 61.24 mph which is about 2.07% off and close enough.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,311 Posts
I'm going to use them with our old Tribeca's Yokahama Ice Guard winter tires in 255/55R18 with tread on two at 9/32 and the other two at 8/32 of an inch. At www.wiltheyfit.com it says when the speedo shows 60mph that actual speed will be 61.24 mph which is about 2.07% off and close enough.
Keep in mind that you can't use your OEM spare with those tires...spare must be the same diameter.

Good score on the wheels, however!

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 20 of 28 Posts