Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that the Subaru enthusiast group is huge. Huuuuuge as some would say ;)

But seriously. A lot of people that I know have owned a great number of Subarus and refuse to buy anything else. They rave about their cars and will stand by them regardless.

Where do you stand on it? Are you a die hard Subie fan or are do you just feel regular towards Subaru and aren't really brand biased?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Can't blame you, of all the Japanese brands out there Subaru has always stood out among the rest. I'm not die hard, I just want a good Japanese product I can depend on. Was looking forward to the Pathfinder but its a disappointment, too many issues.

Right now its either this or the Toyota Highlander.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Recently went and took a look at the Highlander and just something about it threw me off. The interior wasn't anything to gaze upon and that ridiculously large grill with all of those slats that looks almost identical to the Eclipse Cross concept threw me off quite a bit.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Fair enough, Toyota isn't the best with design but unlike Subaru they have a long history with SUV's, the Highlander being one of them. So when it comes to build quality, reliability, durability, capability and ruggedness the Highlander meets my expectations.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Never been a Subaru fan until we got a 2015 Forester. After we owned it, I can't believe we paid about $2k less than a Rav4 of its equivalent specs and got a RWD platform (longitudinal engine/tranny) w/ competitive MPG rating. Several major companies is moving away from RWD platform and go with FWD (i.e. 2011 Explorer; 2012 Pathfinder; and even BMW X1) for fuel efficiency and manufacturing costs.

If Subaru can maintain their integrity, it'll be a very good company.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes and no......

I've had mostly toyotas, the last being a 2009 Venza. It was American designed and built.... while I liked it it wasn't toyota's finest moment. It didn't stand up to prior experiences..... the AWD system is not the best, the fit and finish quality was abysmal and blind spots galore. I didn't want an SUV that were in the offering at the time. My wife had a 1998 Forester that was a little tank but small and hadn't been redesigned for 6-years when she was looking for a new car in 2006, she got a RAV. When looking for a wagon in 2009 the Outback wagon was tooo small to suit my needs....... I got the 2009 Venza which fit my needs......utility and fuel economy.... Then I saw the redesigned Outback in 2011 and it was an AHUH moment..... so in 2013 I test-drove a OB Ltd with SAP and it was all over but the shouting and good bye Toyota - I had been a brand owner for over 30-years.... not in a fanboy sense but liking the quality and brand value proposition - with the exception of the last 10-years where it was obvious thei standard of quality began to fade.

When I sat in the OB and looked under the hood, the first thought that came to mind was - "this is the way Toyota used to build their cars." The attention to detail, the fit and finish, the thoughtfulness in assembly design, they ability/ease for DIY routine maintenance. A a couple of small but simple exampls of engineering-planned convenience - when adding the hitch, adding the wiring is as simple as fishing out the pre-wired connector and plugging the flat-4 wire and connector! Then when doing an oil change on the H-4, the filter replacement is a no muss or fuss snap! With the addition of the Fumo valve I need no oil messy oil drain pan.... I position a jug under the valve...... without a spilled drop!

Are there a few thing I don't like? Sure. I don't like the spare tire pan that won't accept a full sized spare. I don't like the electric parking brake. The clock display and the hvac controls dash positioning.......

When I like maker's design and products I will stick with it. I have always liked Subaru but they hadn't produced a product that fit my needs until recents years. I am solidly supporting Subaru. In fact I have been an Ambassador for the past year (Please! No requests for coupons) and attend events to promote the brand as an owner. I like the new Ascent and will make a purchase decision when I look a it close up and drive it. If it don't decide on buying I will stick with the OB product line. IMO, Subaru offers the best value proposition on the market....as it strives to be the best, not the biggest.👍 On the other hand, Toyota shifted to be the biggest and its brand premium evaporate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We are still on our first Subaru (2012 Outback Limited v6). At the time, I was downsizing from a Ram 2500 Diesel Mega Cab (we sold our RV and no longer needed a truck like that). The Outback is the first non-truck I've owned in my adult life, and it has been perfect.

Overall, the quality has been great. I've only done routine maintenance with it. No other maintenance has been required. Current mileage: 90K. We pulled through several snowstorms and ice storms without a hitch. It is a veteran of numerous campouts and hauls everything I want/need.

I like the simplicity of the AWD system. I don't need to configure it and have no use for all the little switches and settings that some AWD platforms have (like my 05 Land Rover LR3, which is a nightmare). Knowing that Subaru only does AWD is reassuring.

Lessons Learned and Observations:
--I got the 6cyl because I was afraid of going all the way down to a 4cyl from my diesel. When I look at overall usage, the 4cyl would have been fine.
--Maintenance has been cheap.
--Electronic amenities inside are logical, but no-frills. If you're looking for cutting edge electronic gadgetry inside your vehicle, Subaru probably isn't for you. Because of smartphones, I think built-in nav systems are a waste. So, I like the fact that Subaru purposely offers high-level trim options without nav.

I've held back from replacing my Land Rover because the current crossover/SUV offerings either have more than I need or are short on certain features (like towing). From initial reports, the Ascent may cover all these bases, causing me to become a 2-Subaru household.

Also, I dare you to find a 7 passenger crossover that has a better PPCH (Price Per Cup Holder) ratio when compared to the Ascent.

19! I gotta buy more water bottles.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've never owned a Subaru but I've gravitated to them because I've only heard good things about them and everyone I know who owns an Outback loves them. I was looking at various mid size SUVs when the concept for the Viziv-7 was revealed at the LA Auto show in 2016 and I fell in love with it. I've been watching for news about it ever since and jumped on the opportunity to order one last week.

We all know that the Subaru enthusiast group is huge. Huuuuuge as some would say /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

But seriously. A lot of people that I know have owned a great number of Subarus and refuse to buy anything else. They rave about their cars and will stand by them regardless.

Where do you stand on it? Are you a die hard Subie fan or are do you just feel regular towards Subaru and aren't really brand biased?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I became a Subie fan in the middle '90s after hearing about the Rally successes with the STI over in Europe. I first bought a used '88 Justy for a commuter car, and found its 3-cylinder engine to be so much more fun and torquey than the 4-cylinder Honda Civic I had owned prior. Then I went to my local dealer around 2000 to check out the 2.5 RS (since we hadn't yet gotten the WRX here). While there, I drove an RS, then drove a '98 Legacy GT (no turbo yet, but it had the same 2.5 engine as the RS, vs the 2.2 in the regular Legacy). I loved the Rally heritage of the 2.5 RS, but the Legacy was so much more mature - better interior, better road dynamics, etc., so I went with the Legacy. I owned only Subarus from then ('98 Legacy GT, '05 Legacy GT, '07 Tribeca), until my Tribeca died in an accident in '16 and Subaru didn't have anything to replace it. That's when I got my first Kia, a Sedona.

If the Ascent was out then, I would have bought it. If they still offered the Legacy GT, I probably would have bought one of those too. I still own my '05 GT (my son drives it), so I'm still a Subaru owner, but I can no longer claim to be a SubieDriver. :crying:

Oh, I also remember hearing that Subaru had the best owner loyalty in the business. Subaru owners are more likely to buy another Subaru than other brand owners are likely to rebuy their brand.

Subaru, Ugly and built to stay that way. People fall in love with the drivability and functionality of Subarus, not for their looks. (though they have gotten more attractive lately)

·
Registered
134 Posts
This Ascent will be my first one. My Dad drives a Forester. He's not a brand loyalists, and has driven at least six different brands through the years. My Mom isn't either, although she no longer drives. I switched brands from Hyundai, simply because I liked the safety features better. Plus the ability to tow more. I'm hoping all of the hype is worth it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm not becoming a brand loyalist. I have a touring, and it's a nice car, but it's not creating any loyalty towards the brand. I really wanted to like the car a lot, and I like it, but that's about all. It's our least favorite car purchase. It does everything decently enough, but I don't feel like it excels at anything, and maybe that's why I feel this way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I would say that I have been a Subaru Fan for sometime. It is difficult to find a competitive vehicle matching Subaru's safety and symmetrical AWD to name a couple of top reasons.

My first Subaru was a 1977 GL Coupe. Front-wheel drive, spare tire in the engine bay, couldn't find second gear for nothing manual tranny and it wore that "fabulous" Subaru yellow color - absolutely wonderful machine. Could change the oil and plugs in under twenty minutes! Still miss it. Saved up enough money from busing tables and with my Dad's help purchased a new 1980 GLF to get me back and forth to Denver for school as the '77 was approaching 220K on the odo which I gave to my sister. Spent $6100 after taxes on the 1980 new body style. Unfortunately, I was in a horrible accident that I walked away from and that was the beginning of my Subaru loyalty. Or at least, always going to Subaru first before buying a new car or used car except during the mid-eighties where Subaru lost its way.

When I picked up a replacement Subaru after the accident, it was a 1981 GLF that I drove over 350,000 miles. Over the years I've probably owned over fifteen Subaru's. Today I still own four; 2009 Forester XT- 170K miles, 2015 Outback 20K miles, 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6r with 59K miles (that'll will probably sell to my sister-in-law) and the new Ascent. The 2013 Outback 3.6r we traded-in for the Ascent was tough to let go. It had 175K on the odo and still ran like a champ but we wanted the Ascent. I actually can't think of any of my Subaru's that I no longer have that didn't have at least 170K on the odo. With the Subie's I always change oil under the recommendation and watch the radiator for any yellowing indicating cooling system issues.

In my observation when buying a car, I'm no longer buying just a car but buying into a car company that sees me as a customer. Subaru Corp even with their current growth issues you can still talk to them - though increasingly more difficult than it used to be, I still see Subaru as customer oriented. The minute Subaru Corp forgets their customers and fails to respond like so many other car manufacturers well, time to move on. Lets hope that doesn't happen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Father in law was a Ford mechanic so that’s what I used to buy and drive. Lived in Arizona, so didn’t need AWD. When I moved to Maine, with all the snowy winters, I was looking for AWD cars for my kids, wife and myself. Subaru fit the bill. Got my daughter an Impreza, the other daughter had a Legacy, and wife drove an Outback. I drove a Forester. Since then family has had another Impreza and 2 Outbacks. Had some grandkids and I had to go to a Pathfinder for the seat space, but have now ordered an Ascent. Subaru was the only manufacturer where all size vehicles had AWD standard, so there was something for every family member.

I have been disappointed with my 2018 Outback. The head unit went out at Christmas. Took 4 weeks to get a new one installed. Subaru is having problems with these head units, but they were great in remedying the problem. They offered a free rental, sent me a check for 1 months car payment, and sent a Bose mini-speaker for my troubles. Just afraid of head unit failure again after warranty.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I usually gravitate toward GM but I never really been brand loyal. I have owned Fords and jeeps too. This is my first Subaru. Why? It had the most leg room, great AWD, engine mounted frontwards and not sideways, eyesight is amazing, and the Subaru reputation for safety and reliability, ran on regular gas, etc....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I received my first Subie when I was a teenager just coming around driving age. My Grandfather had just passed away and had left me his car. I remember my Father pulling into the driveway with it and I cried. I now owned an 80's something 2 door hatch Subaru GL, silver with blue cloth interior. Dad insisted I learn how to change every fluid and anything else that could come off the car. I had tons of fun in that car - it was a sad day years later when I parted ways with it for another brand.

Years later and I was still with the other brand, I convinced my now Husband he NEEDED a Subaru. He was in the market for another vehicle and I wasn't happy with what he was looking at. I convinced him to test drive one, read the forums, talk to Subie owners. Well, he did and then he purchased a used older model Outback and he instantly fell in love. He is now on his 3rd Outback (he still prefers the older models) and I recently traded my car for the new 2019 Ascent. I knew the instant Subaru announced it that I WOULD own one and I couldn't be happier with it and the fact that I'm back home with Subaru where I will remain. :grin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts