Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I've never owned a set of aluminum wheels that didn't chip. Aluminum is soft and road debris such as rocks are hard, what do you expect Subaru to do? The coating on the wheels is simply paint, it won't stand up to rocks any better than the paint on the car. Eventually, the wheels will pick up chips. I'm surprised they hold up as well as they do considering the job they need to do.

You can buy tire and wheel protection plans, but even many of these don't cover minor cosmetic damage. Subaru would only cover a wheel if it had damage due to an obvious failure of the finish, not caused by impacts, but this is very rare.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to know. While I don't drive on gravel roads, I was concerned since severe chipping has appeared on all wheels in the first 4,000 miles and more concerned that Subaru might surcharge at end of lease.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has Subaru addressed the coating chipping from Touring model wheels?
The wheels are clean and chipping appears on all wheels but more chipping on drivers side. Paint finish around the wheels is clear of any marking. My previous owned Tribeca (75,000 miles) did not experience even one such wheel chip.

Is this a known issue? A google search only points to this thread. There was a similar inquiry about an Outback and it turned out to be residue rather than chipping. Have you tried washing the wheels?
Is this a known issue? A google search only points to this thread. There was a similar inquiry about an Outback
Is this a known issue? A google search only points to this thread. There was a similar inquiry about an Outback and it turned out to be residue rather than chipping. Have you tried washing the wheels?
[/QUOTE
and it turned out to be residue rather than chipping. Have you tried washing the wheels?

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Can you please post pics?

·
Registered
2021 Premier w/Black Leather - Magnetite Grey
8 Posts
My wheels seem to be chipping as well. My rims came like this when I picked up my Ascent last month.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,160 Posts
Can you feel the chipping with your fingernail? The entire surface of the wheel is covered in a clearcoat paint. For the colored paint to be chipping, the top clearcoat would need to be flaking off as well (which I don't see). It looks more to me like that transition between the machined "spoke" and the painted interior areas is just not perfectly crisp. Our 2020 Touring wheels have some of this appearance also, though perhaps not quite as visible as what you have.

·
Registered
2021 Premier w/Black Leather - Magnetite Grey
8 Posts
Can you feel the chipping with your fingernail? The entire surface of the wheel is covered in a clearcoat paint. For the colored paint to be chipping, the top clearcoat would need to be flaking off as well (which I don't see). It looks more to me like that transition between the machined "spoke" and the painted interior areas is just not perfectly crisp. Our 2020 Touring wheels have some of this appearance also, though perhaps not quite as visible as what you have.
I believe you are correct. There appears to be clear coat over the areas missing the colored paint on the rim.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts