Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an email a couple months ago saying that a Starlink software update was available for my 2019 Ascent Premium. I downloaded the instructions (PDF document), checked the version numbers and indeed, the version in my vehicle was older than the update, so I proceeded to follow the instructions. Long story short, it connects to my home WiFi just fine, with good signal, but when I press the "Check for Updates" item, it always shows "Contacting Server..." and then "Software Download Failed." I've tried at different times of day, with the car running and not, moved to a different location (still with good WiFi signal strength), but always with the same results.

I don't have a phone with WiFI, so is there another way to get the software update, like downloading a file to a USB drive and applying it that way? Or is a trip to the dealer necessary?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I got an email a couple months ago saying that a Starlink software update was available for my 2019 Ascent Premium. I downloaded the instructions (PDF document), checked the version numbers and indeed, the version in my vehicle was older than the update, so I proceeded to follow the instructions. Long story short, it connects to my home WiFi just fine, with good signal, but when I press the "Check for Updates" item, it always shows "Contacting Server..." and then "Software Download Failed." I've tried at different times of day, with the car running and not, moved to a different location (still with good WiFi signal strength), but always with the same results.

I don't have a phone with WiFI, so is there another way to get the software update, like downloading a file to a USB drive and applying it that way? Or is a trip to the dealer necessary?
I would ask t he dealer to take care of it when you have a scheduled service such as an oil change. A good dealer will do it for free.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Any dealer should do it for free,it’s nothing physical involved.They would connect to the dealer WiFi,tap a couple of buttons and it’s done.

·
Registered
566 Posts

I was told that screen was meant for the service department and they have a code to input. I've been getting that message since "Day 1" - Sept 2018

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, w/ Tech Package
60 Posts
Have you tried Subaru Map Update Delivery Portal ? You can download an installer on your PC that will install the update to a blank USB drive (if you have a usb drive with files on it, it will erase the drive before installing the update). You will need your car's VIN to register, and then it will download the update which includes map updates for all of USA, Canada, and Mexico.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts