Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two thousand miles, all dash lights (engine, brakes, eye sight, etc.) engine running ok, little rough. Dealer first said engine needs to be replaced, now saying waiting on Subaru for instructions.

·
Registered
646 Posts
With such details we'll get to the bottom of this quickly!

:)

But for real, any more information?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Anytime the check engine light comes on, all the lights come on because the car is disabling them as a precautionary measure.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had this, and your eye sight stops working, dealer told they updated Turbo software when I asked what is the version they upgraded they do not have answer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Had this too at 400 and 1100 miles

Dealer had the car a week each time with no answer. Second time they thought they might need to replace all the wiring in the engine bay and computer. I said no to that and the next day they told me that it was probably a software issue. They also said they would call me with an answer from Subaru. Still waiting for a call that I suspect is never coming. 1600 miles now, July 10th delivery.

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
Still no answer... I feel like we may not be unique. How many others are dealing with this. Not confidence building.
Would you rather just get an answer to pacify or a solution? One may take longer than the other and an answer isn't necessarily a solution.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Two thousand miles, all dash lights (engine, brakes, eye sight, etc.) engine running ok, little rough. Dealer first said engine needs to be replaced, now saying waiting on Subaru for instructions.
Still no answer... I feel like we may not be unique. How many others are dealing with this. Not confidence building.
I'm not sure if your trolling or not given your low-post count and vagueness.

Can you provide any more detail about the problem and the circumstances surrounding it?

If you did indeed experience some sort of catastrophic failure at 2K miles, which happens, then you are almost certainly going to have to wait it out a few days. There's a reasonable chance you would be offered a replacement vehicle versus waiting for parts and repair.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm just over 3000 miles and having the same issue. Yesterday I was accelerating onto a freeway, car wouldn't accelerate. All lights on dashboard came on. Was able to get it home, using manual shifting, but it almost died completely on two hills no matter what gear I was in.

I'll be calling Subaru today and getting it in. Pretty worried with how much I paid. This was one of the very first shipments.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had this today with 3,000 miles and brought my car to a dealership.

I got more concerned about this issue by reading this thread as it seems that the cause of the issue has not been identified yet with most of the case.

Just a curiosity, is everyone on a loaner car or rent-a-car provided by your dealership?

Today, my dealership offered me an Uber ride to my work, but I don’t know what to do with my daily commute if it will take some days (someone said the car was held for a week each time) to get repaired. We only have my wife’s Outback left in our household, and it is very difficult to manage day to day activities with just one car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any updates on this.
13000 miles. car started to lose power at both highway speed and neighborhood speed. Almost felt like “bad gas” with the stuttering. Anyways went to take it to dealers today and lost all power when accelerating, every light came on, car now starts hard. Waiting on tow now.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Any updates on this.
13000 miles. car started to lose power at both highway speed and neighborhood speed. Almost felt like “bad gas” with the stuttering. Anyways went to take it to dealers today and lost all power when accelerating, every light came on, car now starts hard. Waiting on tow now.
We had all lights come on and lost all power when our transmission messed up. Did your AT temp light come on as well or flash?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We've now joined the ranks. Started our '19 Ascent with 5600 miles today and all warning lights came on. Rough idle. Turned car off and waited 5 minutes. Started again to same issue. Car is staying in garage.

After having pulsing brakes after only 4500 miles on the road, we were told by dealer that we needed our routers turned??? (can anyone say premature brake wear?) Beginning to think ourselves what we've bought here.

Jumping into our 2010 Outback with 128,000 instead to run errands...runs like a top. What's going on with Subaru?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Subaru seems to be struggling with parts quality issues. Their investor day meeting the top brass even discussed that they had added costs being forecasted due to the need to up the quality of various parts in their vehicles.

When it comes down to vehicle design the end game is the quality of the parts your building them with. The designers might have specced a specific type of material to be used in a part but the part supplier might have found they can boost profits by subbing in a lower cost material etc. This has been a growing trend with subaru for the last 8 or so years.

This really shows when you get batches of vehicles that were built with slightly different parts and then suffer failures that the same exact vehicle built months earlier has zero issues. The parts suppliers tweaked the make up of the part to boost profits except the design was using a more costly material for a reason etc.

That is also why parts tracking with vin#’s have become really important. High probability Subaru knows what range of vin#’s are likely to have which issues once they know a part is faulty/ incorrectly made etc.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Interesting, my first year Impreza on the SGP has had no issues and besides HU upgrades and swap outs the Impreza forum has been pretty quiet for 2 years. Much more action for the Ascent unfortunately

·
Registered
156 Posts
Strange Event Friday

Went to our dealer for a courtesy 30-day followup. Essentially intended to give dealer feedback on our experiences the first month of ownership. As an incentive, we got a $25 Sunoco gift card. Had our talk. Got ready to depart. My wife took the wheel, started up and we exited the dealership.

I had been driving the Ascent exclusively for the past 2 weeks without any problems (my wife was out-of-town visiting relatives).

About 30 seconds out, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree - "Check Engine" and all the assorted lights for things that shut down when "Check Engine" activates. No strange noises, or apparent loss of power or other functionality.

My wife was a bit freaked out. Fortunately, there was a nearly empty parking lot close by, so I told my wife to pull in, park and shut down. Having read these boards, we switched places and I waited 3-4 minutes before attempting restart. Restarted fine, but the "Check Engine" light and all the other lights came back on immediately. So, back to the dealership we went. No strange noises, no loss of power, no loss of functionality on the short drive back.

Pulled to just outside the service area and turned it off. I stayed with the car while my wife went inside to find someone. She returned about 5 minutes later with the person who had spoken with us earlier. I started the engine. The "Check Engine" light and all the other lights came back on immediately. Shut it down, again.

The rep left to find a tech. About 5 minutes later, a tech arrived. I started the engine a third time. Everything was normal - no unusual warning lights.

We drove home without incident. In the next two hours, my wife went on several short errands with the car. No problems. Then, I took it to fill it with gas. No problems for me, either.

I have instructed my wife to wait at least 5 seconds after she starts the engine before moving the gearshift out of Park. I also told her that if the same lights come back on, find a safe placed to pull over, shut down, and wait 5 minutes before attempting a restart.

She's headed out-of-town Saturday to lunch with an old friend. My cell phone will be on my person the whole time.

This may have just been a one-time software glitch. Hoping it is not something more serious.:dunno:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just experienced this same issue and I was able to correct it. Here is what happened to me and what I did to fix it: I caused the condition when I accidentally restarted the engine immediately after shutting it off. I hit the button twice. It didn’t restart but the gauges cycled and it gave me the check engine light. I quickly hit the buttons again to shut the car completely off. My wife drove it the next day and reported to me the exact same issue with all of the warning lights constantly on. I went out when I got home from work and it was still in this condition. I corrected by doing the same thing as what caused it. I don’t recommend this at all but it did fix it and I’ve been driving it with no problems. It’s running completely normal now. I hope this helps someone....

1 - 20 of 76 Posts