Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at the dealership right now for the 6000 mile maintenance and was told the Ascent is designed to pull to the right after 3 seconds to avoid a head on collision with oncoming traffic on the left. Any validity to that claim that the Ascent is designed to pull to the right?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't know the official technical facts of the car, but my observation in using Lane Keeping Assist is that my Ascent drifts either direction equally.

Personally, I would be concerned with a car that is aligned to drift right - while head-ons are bad, so are nailing parked cars, pedestrians, and cyclists on the right. I'll be staying tuned to this thread.

F.S.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
I'm at the dealership right now for the 6000 mile maintenance and was told the Ascent is designed to pull to the right after 3 seconds to avoid a head on collision with oncoming traffic on the left. Any validity to that claim that the Ascent is designed to pull to the right?
This behavior, if occurring, is likely related to the lane-keeping feature of Eyesight. No vehicle is designed to "pull to the right" from a physical alignment perspective. That would ruin tires big-time. So if you are not actually using the Eyesight features and your Ascent is constantly pulling to the side, the alignment is suspect and should be checked/adjusted accordingly.

·
Registered
913 Posts
After 19,000 miles and always using LKA I've never seen it pull to the right. In fact it tracks so straight that I often get the "please keep hands on the wheel" message as I haven't had to turn the wheel at all. (Turning the wheel a tiny bit alerts the system you're still there giving input).

I think that's an ignorant dealer making crap up.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts

Absolutely not. The Ascent should track true, foot on or off the gas. As a matter of fact, it's symmetrical AWD system should allow you to floor it and it will not torque steer.

But, as @Jim_in_PA said, if Lane Keep Assist detects you about to cross a lane marker, it will nudge you back.

Additionally, improper tire inflation can affect how the car steers, and may make the car seem to pull left or right. Please message me the dealership name, and service technician name.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pulling doesnt happen during short trips. I noticed it while driving from Houston to New Orleans during long straight stretches. He said that I am only allowed one alignment under warranty so I took his word about the design and didnt request an alignment. :cry:

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
It should never happen.

·
Registered
775 Posts
No way, that's a load of :poop: from the dealership. There would be issues with hitting cars /objects on the RHS side of the road if that were true, and there would have to be intelligence programmed into the system to account for berm height, bumps, and other road irregularities.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Is the person at the dealer that told that a very slight pull to the right for safety is normal an older person? I ask because it used to be the way cars were aligned.

Couple things to check for cars pulling one way or another.

1. Was the road crowned?
2. Are your tire pressures equal on both sides using a good quality air gauge?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure how to edit post in the new format. Meant to ask if the person telling you this is older. Found the edit button. Never mind.
The person is young and he specifically said this is a NEW feature most manufacturers have been including in recent MY cars.

P.S. The pulling happened no matter the road slope, I didnt check the tire pressure at the time.

·
Registered
965 Posts
The person is young and he specifically said this is a NEW feature most manufacturers have been including in recent MY cars.

P.S. The pulling happened no matter the road slope, I didnt check the tire pressure at the time.
Ask him if he has a bridge to sell you, or some oceanfront property in Arizona. He's full of it. The cars can come from the factory needing an alignment, which is why Subaru will pay for one alignment on new cars. I don't know if it is still valid at 6,000 miles or not, but probably 10% of all my customers end up getting an alignment within the first 3 months or so. Anything after the first free one is on you, especially down here.

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts
What Carl and I are saying, just so it's utterly clear, is he's horribly, totally wrong.

Please have it checked out by a Subaru mechanic who can help you.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,828 Posts
Yup...what that dude at the dealership is saying is "horse-droppings"...

·
Administrator
10,943 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
I believe it happens under collision avoidance. Eyesight finds safest path...
Nope, not in the least. Eyesight does NOT take over to steer your car. All it does is apply the brakes, perhaps harder than you already were doing, and adding in all the wonders of ABS so your car hopefully doesn't slam into whatever you're about to hit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts