Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wouldn't trust the factory to get the alignment right...their specs are looser and nearly all my new car purchases were far from ideal for tire wear.

The Ascent had too much toe by about 0.09 and camber was going to cause inside tire wear. Wanted to get this done soon as good 20" tires are pricey these days!! Car drives a little more relaxed now which is nice

·
Registered
235 Posts
Good idea to get an alignment now so you don't have to replace the tires prematurely. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I never heard of thought of a new vehicle needing an alignment. I have had my vehicle for one month but I wonder if I had checked the alignment near the time of delivery and it was off, would the alignment be a warranty service? Maybe we should advise new owners to have this checked in the first week?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I've got 9000 miles so far and the tires are wearing evenly and the car tracks as straight as an arrow. I had the same experience after over 90k miles on my 2012 Outback. I never had it aligned in 6 years. The tires wore evenly and the car tracked very straight as well. I use a tread depth guage and rotate tires at home. YMMV

·
Registered
225 Posts
How much can the wheel alignment be changed before you also have to get Eyesight re-aligned?
You tire alignment isn't going to affect eyesight since its a front collision detection system. All you do with an alignment is make sure that the wheels track equally when pointing straight and tires lay as evenly against the ground as possible.

·
Super Moderator
2,425 Posts
It seems like mine pulls a bit to the left. I thought maybe it's just me.
I’ve thought the same from time to time. I think it’s due to the road itself since I’m usually in the left lane and my tires are wearing evening after 15000 mi. I am curious to see how long these factory tires will last. I fully expect to buy a new set in 2020

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re-alignment is certainly worth the cost after a year or so, unless the tire wear or vehicle behavior indicate an issue. Consider the residual stresses of manufacture for the suspension parts and long term normalization. The parts do distort slightly over time as the residual stresses slowly self-relieve. A year of temperature changes and normal running loads also contribute to the normalization. On all of my vehicles over the past several decades this procedure has worked out. The re-align seems to hold for years, unless you have a penchant to run into things on the road.

·
Registered
126 Posts
When I got my Ascent in October, a wheel alignment was done as part of the PDI. They gave me the alignment printout as part of the paperwork. Some specs were out and were adjusted.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You tire alignment isn't going to affect eyesight since its a front collision detection system. All you do with an alignment is make sure that the wheels track equally when pointing straight and tires lay as evenly against the ground as possible.

A discussion with a friend led me to do some googling about how wheel alignment affects the many electronic driver assist systems. The car has to track absolutely true or those systems won't work as designed. I was surprised at the implications of this. The old time wheel alignment is no longer sufficient, and numerous other systems may need to be also checked out for several hours, on expensive equipment, by a skilled tech.

https://rts.i-car.com/collision-repair-news/the-effects-of-wheel-alignment-on-adas.html
https://www.searchautoparts.com/aut...-avoidance-systems-impact-basic-service-repai
https://airprodiagnostics.com/adas-sensor-calibration-increases-repair-costs/
https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/...onic-stability-control-reset-after-alignment/

·
Registered
225 Posts
A discussion with a friend led me to do some googling about how wheel alignment affects the many electronic driver assist systems. The car has to track absolutely true or those systems won't work as designed. I was surprised at the implications of this. The old time wheel alignment is no longer sufficient, and numerous other systems may need to be also checked out for several hours, on expensive equipment, by a skilled tech.

https://rts.i-car.com/collision-repair-news/the-effects-of-wheel-alignment-on-adas.html
https://www.searchautoparts.com/aut...-avoidance-systems-impact-basic-service-repai
https://airprodiagnostics.com/adas-sensor-calibration-increases-repair-costs/
https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/...onic-stability-control-reset-after-alignment/
I mean the car doesn't have to track absolutely true. It has to track in the same way it did when all sensors were calibrated last. Your calibration creates your baseline for all the sensors. If you are in an accident and sensors get knocked around then yeah you need calibration.

Lane keep relies on cameras in the mirrors seeing the lanes. The nudge back into the center is based on properly aligned wheels, but I doubt you need to get lane keep calibrated after an alignment. The system is still going to work with an underinflated tire or a spare where the wheels don't track evenly. Yes is does have a steering angle sensor which needs to know the position of the steering wheel. This is one calibration that may need to happen, but it is still not an eyesight calibration.

Blind spot detection is based on speed and proximity of a car to the body of your car using ultrasonic sonar or radar. As long as the sensors are positioned properly in relation to the body alignment wouldn't do much.

Same idea for reverse assisted braking using sonar or radar to detect objects. If the sensors are in the same place nothing will change.

Eyesight is one items that needs to be calibrated after windshield replacements because its a "image" system and it is easily disturbed during windshield replacement. It relies on distance, depth, and reflection and refraction which can be different from one windshield to another.

All in all each of these system has tolerance in mind since vehicle movement is going to be affected by the number of passengers, the amount of cargo, weight distribution, and a multitude of other factors.

Assuming that your car was aligned decently well from factory and your system was calibrated after that, you have a base line so getting a realignment isn't going to affect your base line. Even swapping wheels and tires isn't going to have much of an affect. Now if you lift your car or lower it then you are moving it away from the baseline which could have an effect on these systems.

The articles listed all refer to higher repair costs as a result of sensors getting knocked out of place due to an accident. That makes sense to me, but a standard alignment isn't doing to come with 3 labor hours to adjust the Eyesight system.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
When I got my Ascent in October, a wheel alignment was done as part of the PDI. They gave me the alignment printout as part of the paperwork. Some specs were out and were adjusted.

Now that is interesting! I will have to check my PDI. Is that standard or something your dealer did for you above and beyond?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Now that is interesting! I will have to check my PDI. Is that standard or something your dealer did for you above and beyond?
I'm not sure if they do this to all cars they sell or not since this is my first Subaru dealer and my first Subaru.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I'm not sure if they do this to all cars they sell or not since this is my first Subaru dealer and my first Subaru.

I just found my PDI and it includes a drift and tracking check via a road test section. Apparently they did not actually check any metrics. They may not have even done this because they were also supposed to check adjust the tire pressure and I found it was not done.

"Confirm wheel alignment (drift and tracking)"

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had to report i think my MPG has increased since this alignment...was averaging around 20 mpg with over 10,000 miles and now i'm over 21.

·
Registered
86 Posts
So, within the first few weeks of ownership I took out a pretty good curb while turning right out of an extremely tight alley. I thought I was screwed but the car tracked straight... hands free and all. I couldn’t put my finger on it but the car felt off after that... but I thought it was just my imagination especially since I didn’t know the car very well.

2000 miles later I still felt like there was an odd resonating noise from the tires, a soft rattle thru the steering column, unusual but light buzzing in the steering wheel, and micro rattles all around the cabin. kind of sloppy steering as well... all subtle but wasn’t fun to drive, really.

Took it in today and and the alignment (camber and all) was indeed off, even in the wheels that didn’t go over the curb. Totally different car now! Total pleasure to drive again and all the pesky rattles throughout the cabin (however they were connected to it... if at all) and gone. Smooth and refined.

Moral of the story is... this car can track totally straight on the highway and still have alignment issues!

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Also keep an eye out for sidewall bulges. I had one develop on a Continental a while back after a big pothole.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Also keep an eye out for sidewall bulges. I had one develop on a Continental a while back after a big pothole.
My son had a sidewall bulge on two different Continental tires when he hit potholes. Potholes in Colorado are as prevalent as prairie dog holes in Kansas. I think the tire manufacturer possibly thins out the sidewall (just a bit) to achieve the higher tread wear ratings.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts