Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like this guy videos...didn't even watch yet, thinking of sharing first to you all :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
292 Posts
One thing I noticed from this review is they underestimate the off-road (maybe rough road is a better term) capability. He mentioned that he thought the Durango would be better because it has a traditional 4WD with locking differentials. And he mentioned the Ascent has a very soft ride, almost too soft he said.

He did mention, though, that it does have a new long travel suspension with the new SGP chassis, but I don't think he understands the full significance of that. I learned that with my new 2018 Crosstrek, also on the SGP with the long travel suspension. While it has a very soft on-road ride (almost luxury car feel), it is also very, very good on a rough road.

We have a cabin with the last part of the road being very rough with steep hills, bumps and washboard. I was absolutely amazed how well the Crosstrek handled it, in fact better than any other vehicle I have ever driven on it with, including trucks and other SUVs. It literally glided over the bumps and rough stuff, whereas the other vehicles shook, rattled and bounced around, especially on the washboard. Part of this is the exceptional suspension of the Subaru, but also I think the permanent AWD helps keep all 4 wheels glued to the road. The other vehicles liked to slip and bounce on the washboard, especially bad on corners while the Subaru stayed planted.

This is the biggest difference I found with the Subaru, and I don't think is fully appreciated by the reviewers, because they never actually test it under those conditions. I know it changed my driving our cabin road from just an adventure, to also a pleasure.

And I am sure the new Ascent will be the same, and maybe even better with the larger wheels/tires.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It was a nice review and he pointed out some of the Ascent shortcomings. He shows a little favoritism toward the Durango because he just purchased one recently as his personal family vehicle. Having to tip his head to sit in the third row is still a little disappointing and this guy is short.

Overall, the Ascent still looks like a great vehicle even with the USB cable sitting out in the open when the phone is plugged in (which he hates).

·
Registered
597 Posts
One thing I noticed from this review is they underestimate the off-road (maybe rough road is a better term) capability. He mentioned that he thought the Durango would be better because it has a traditional 4WD with locking differentials. And he mentioned the Ascent has a very soft ride, almost too soft he said.
The Durango I believe uses the same system as the Jeep Grand Cherokee which is very capable off road. In fact I think in one review they were shocked at how good the Durango was.

I expect no issues with the Ascent and I'm sure people will lift them (I'm thinking about doing it for an extra inch).

It was a nice review and he pointed out some of the Ascent shortcomings. He shows a little favoritism toward the Durango because he just purchased one recently as his personal family vehicle. Having to tip his head to sit in the third row is still a little disappointing and this guy is short.

Overall, the Ascent still looks like a great vehicle even with the USB cable sitting out in the open when the phone is plugged in (which he hates).
He said he is 6' so yes his head would hit the ceiling in the third row (mine did when I checked it out) but you can still sit back there just not for long rides. I also agree the seatbelt in the ceiling is annoying. I have that in my Xterra and hate having to take it up and down. But being in the third row I think it is fine as that would be the last seat you would be using out of 7 or 8 seats.

On his size scale he has the CX-9 bigger than many SUV's it doesn't even come close to...
CX-9 is 199 inches which is longer than most of the 3 row CUVs except the Traverse. What is strange is I felt it was pretty small inside compared to the outside dimensions.

·
Registered
764 Posts
CX-9 is 199 inches which is longer than most of the 3 row CUVs except the Traverse. What is strange is I felt it was pretty small inside compared to the outside dimensions.
Yeah, i just looked that up. It is surprisingly longer, but the actual passenger volume is only 135.1 cubic ft with 71.2 storage and the Ascent is 153.5 cubic ft and 86.5 storage. That is a huge deficit for a car that is 2 inches longer...

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think the extra length in the CX-9 isn't in the cargo area, but in the length of the front end. Going off google, the Ascent has 15 more cubic feet of storage. That is something you would easily notice.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
170 Posts
Oddly the Cx 9 interior is very snug given its exterior dimensions.
I 100% agree. IMO, the CX-9 is a very attractive vehicle, but it was too cramped when we took a look at it at the auto show. The Durango is nice, but not worth the $$. Most people want their money to last, even with the depreciating world of automobiles.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
170 Posts
I'm in the same boat as many others and I only had the Pilot on my list as a potential third row SUV. So the Durango and CX-9 were never really considered. My dad bought a 2014 Ram Quad cab longhorn edition brand new and I still shake my head to this day. I'm leery of any brand that tries to sell me a lifetime warranty at the time of purchase. He did it and he's put it to good use with at least 3 major issues.

There never will be a DaimlerChrysler vehicle at my house unless it's free.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The Durango I believe uses the same system as the Jeep Grand Cherokee which is very capable off road. In fact I think in one review they were shocked at how good the Durango was.
I haven't driven the Durango on our cabin road, but friends of ours have a Jeep Wrangler they use to come see us. While the Jeep is unmatched in true off-road and rock crawling, it actually handles very poorly on this rough road. The problem is that its suspension is too hard, and it bounces all over, and have to be really careful around corners. And it handles washboard really poorly, worse than most trucks or SUVs, as it shakes, rattles and bounces around like crazy. Have to be very careful not to slide out around a curve with washboard.

The Subaru, meanwhile, handles this type of road better that all of them.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I 100% agree. IMO, the CX-9 is a very attractive vehicle, but it was too cramped when we took a look at it at the auto show. The Durango is nice, but not worth the $$. Most people want their money to last, even with the depreciating world of automobiles.
I just test drove the Mazda CX-9 and came away underwhelmed.

Pros:
  • driving the CX-9 feels much closer to driving a regular car v. a midsized SUV
  • heads-up display is awesome; wished Subaru had this option
  • lane monitoring helped me steer the car a bit, which would be great for long road trips and when driver starts getting tired (another safety tool to help driver realize he/she may need some rest before continue driving)
  • start/stop detection would be perfect for traffic, since it can go up to 19mph starting and stopping in the very heavy and slow bay area traffic; wished Subaru offered this as well
  • acceleration was pretty good; just enough torque to make me feel less like a soccer dad because I'm not one... yet

Cons (deal breakers for me):
  • 3rd row only has 2 seats
  • felt really cramped in both 2nd and 3rd rows (and I'm only 5'6)
  • no panoramic roof option
  • no 2nd row bucket seats option
  • technology is really outdated (no Android Auto or Apple Carplay)

·
Registered
598 Posts
‘start/stop detection would be perfect for traffic, since it can go up to 19mph starting and stopping in the very heavy and slow bay area traffic; wished Subaru offered this as well’

Is this part of adaptive cruise on the Mazda? Eyesight does this same thing even though it’s not advertised as such. It will work at all slow speeds and come to a complete stop and hold the car there for a set amount of time (I forgot how long but it’s a quite a while). To resume following the car in front you just tap the accelerator pedal or press resume on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
292 Posts
‘start/stop detection would be perfect for traffic, since it can go up to 19mph starting and stopping in the very heavy and slow bay area traffic; wished Subaru offered this as well’

Is this part of adaptive cruise on the Mazda? Eyesight does this same thing even though it’s not advertised as such. It will work at all slow speeds and come to a complete stop and hold the car there for a set amount of time (I forgot how long but it’s a quite a while). To resume following the car in front you just tap the accelerator pedal or press resume on the steering wheel.
Adaptive Cruise Control works very well on my 2018 Crosstrek in heavy traffic, including stop and go (up to a few seconds). If longer, just punch the button and it resumes. You are also prompted if the car in front moves ahead.

And there are settings for distance to follow, and how aggressive you want for braking and accelerating. Takes a lot of stress out of stop and go freeway traffic.

I think future models, after 2019, will have engine start/stop.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I would never own a Dodge vehicle due to reliability issues.
Don't you have to have reliability in the first place to have issues with it? :devil:

I had three (3!) customers (completely unrelated to each other) last summer purchase Outbacks from me that had to lemon law their Grand Cherokees ... in the same month.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts