Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
145 Posts
He also just bought a Dodge Durango.

For him performance and flashy gadgets are more important then safety and reliability. The tech in the Atlas runs circles around the Ascent.

If you are focused on buying a car for 5 years and moving on, the altas has some pretty good stuff going for it.

But for me, after Diesel gate... well pity.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

For him performance and flashy gadgets are more important then safety and reliability. The tech in the Atlas runs circles around the Ascent.

If you are focused on buying a car for 5 years and moving on, the altas has some pretty good stuff going for it.

Point taken but I like the performance levels of the Ascent and I'm not familiar with the Atlas gadgets.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Alex is only online reviewer that I watch. His methodology is much more consistent and professional than anyone else I could find. Comparing to others, he is more focused on utility, technology and cost of ownership. He was loud in explaining people that not all CVTs are bad and that they have advantages for regular vehicles, that not all the people need AWD just better tires etc...
All that being said, it is noticeable that he prefers Volvo (that he owned), Nissan, luxury Japanese, Mazda, Korean and to certain extent VW. In general, he was generally positive about Subaru, especially recent models. His Ascent review is very positive. Choosing Atlas over Ascent probably has much to do with his preference for VW corporate interior/exterior design language and Atlas size advantage.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alex is only online reviewer that I watch. His methodology is much more consistent and professional than anyone else I could find. Comparing to others, he is more focused on utility, technology and cost of ownership. He was loud in explaining people that not all CVTs are bad and that they have advantages for regular vehicles, that not all the people need AWD just better tires etc...
All that being said, it is noticeable that he prefers Volvo (that he owned), Nissan, luxury Japanese, Mazda, Korean and to certain extent VW. In general, he was generally positive about Subaru, especially recent models. His Ascent review is very positive. Choosing Atlas over Ascent probably has much to do with his preference for VW corporate interior/exterior design language and Atlas size advantage.
Very true, He has given some positive reviews on Subaru products but I expect a professional review to be more about product comparison- which includes safety, engineering, reliability, value for the dollar and to some extent styling and design. Given that the Ascent is better than the Atlas. Not a personal preference based on Alex's wants and needs. Also, just because something is bigger does not make it better.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
He picks the VW Atlas over the Ascent ? The Ascent is not perfect but a way better value than the Atlas . Then again he says he drives a KIA
And he owns a new Dodge Durango. He preferred the 3rd row of the Durango over the Ascent. That choice really surprised me considering how unreliable Dodge vehicles generally are.

This forum is full of personal preference.

As far as KIA, the Soul is a great vehicle. My daughter had one and never had any problems with it for the length of time she owned it - 6 years/80,000 miles (she moved to NJ and did not need a car any longer). It was roomy, easy to enter/exit, and would spin the tires on take-off. She bought it for $14k and sold it for $7K. It had fewer problems than our one year old Outback.

·
Banned
145 Posts
Point taken but I like the performance levels of the Ascent and I'm not familiar with the Atlas gadgets.
It is things like front and back camera on even the lower trims. Auto parking on the upper trims. Cornering fog lights, 360 camera, ect.. I loved the dash and loved the display lay out.

The seats where a little uncomfortable for me, the headlights where awful, and the company rep is terrible. Reliability is also questionable.

But if you don't care about safety and reliability, the atlas is for you.

·
Registered
249 Posts

We were on our way to buy an Atlas when my wife said you know I never did test drive that Ascent you loved so much. We she drove it and in less than 90 minutes it was in our driveway and off there lot. Happy every day since.

·
Registered
249 Posts

For myself I could have pushed my wife to the Atlas but I like the hp to weight ratio on the Ascent ,and I just cannot get past them not putting a Y pipe in the back so the exhaust could exit. Having the empty chrome pieces on the back. For looks only come on VW I feel cheap and tawdry after being in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts