Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you air down the 18" tires while on dirt roads and/or off-road? If so, to what do you air down? Also what compressor do you use to air back up?

Thanks,
Carlos

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Hi Carlos! It really depends on where you are. Anyplace in particular that you're planning?

• It isn't generally required for gravel or dirt roads, but will make the ride softer on rocky or rutted dirt roads, but, remember, you must limit your speed.

• In rocky sand (eg: Long Island's North Shore, parts of the deserts out west), airing down isn't required with all terrain tires.

• In soft sand (eg: Outer Banks, Long Island's South Shore, parts of our deserts out west such as Death Valley, Ocala National Forest's many sand pits), airing down is required. On Long Island, at all state beaches, you must be able to air down 50% of your tire pressure, and do so before hitting the sand. Other places have similar requirements.

The week before I hung out with MtnRoo Florida, they'd went to this sand pit, and watched some Jeeps with big knobby tires get stuck, and need to be winched out. They didn't know about airing down. Here's my Ascent tearing it up like it's nothing.

Note that all terrains make things a LOT nicer - and are required in various places.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Heya,
piggybacking on this... whats the threshold on the stock tires on airing down before you risk ripping the tire off the rims?

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
362 Posts
Cool video, Robert! But where the heck is that camera? Is it on a remote? At one point it clearly looks as if it isn't attached to the car? And what is that on your hood?

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
@TheRaven that's the mount on the hood.

The 360° cam is on a pole off the mount. The pole actually fell apart at one point, and I ran over the camera, lol. I have solid poles for this time. But, yes, that was the idea... to make it seem like a floating cam. There are places we can't drone fly around the car, so, cam all the way out on a pole is the next best thing I could come up with.

When I do my National Parks trip in May, I will have the 360 Cam out on a pole for a lot of it. A longer and quite solid extension this time (three 16" extensions and one magic arm, to be exact).

@aldouse 18" or 20"? Airing down for trails or sand?

·
Registered
816 Posts
The shot where it looks like a drone facing the front was cool .You make it look easy Robert.
Curious to know the mpg’s during a drive through in so much sand, not that it matters.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
I got pretty decent gallons per mile in the sand. 🤣

Sand puts me at 12-15 mpg. Worse in sugar sand when I am stopping and going "for show". A little more if I am steady driving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts