·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I was looking into BMW oil-air separator for the Ascent ... like this:

I like the self-maintenance feature, having the oil return back to the pan. The cost is very reasonable, about $100 or less for the unit and hoses.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Interesting!
I was also looking at factory Mustang Air/Oil separators. Might be the cheaper route for sure to go with OEM type.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I don’t think the Mustang one has the same conceptual design as the Crawford or the one I suggested. It needs to have 3 ports: 1 from crankcase; 1 to intake; 1 return to oil pan.

I wonder if there’s a unused port somewhere for return

·
Registered
147 Posts
Crawford performance has told me that an ascent AOS is in the works, but they can’t give me any sort of time table or even estimate. As far as the ports you’re looking for, perhaps these 2 capped lines are what you are looking for

I saw these when I was installing the whiteline pitch mount. These are underneath the top mount inter cooler. I didn’t trace the lines as it was quite hot that day. I’ve asked the dealer but they have no idea.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
didn’t trace the lines as it was quite hot th
That whiteline product is interesting.
Do you feel any additional vibrations be transmitted into the cabin and why did you decide to install it?

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Crawford performance has told me that an ascent AOS is in the works, but they can’t give me any sort of time table or even estimate. As far as the ports you’re looking for, perhaps these 2 capped lines are what you are looking for View attachment 518

I saw these when I was installing the whiteline pitch mount. These are underneath the top mount inter cooler. I didn’t trace the lines as it was quite hot that day. I’ve asked the dealer but they have no idea.
Both of those are the air breathers for your CVT.

The CVT starts at the seam farthest right, though parts of the intake/intercooler hang back (image left) above it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am failing to see where it states that this is the only AOS approved by Subaru to not void your warranty. Can you please point to me where it is in their website or that Subaru has stated this? I think the AIG AOS is a better design.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am failing to see where it states that this is the only AOS approved by Subaru to not void your warranty. Can you please point to me where it is in their website or that Subaru has stated this? I think the AIG AOS is a better design.
I've read on their website they are only aftermarket supplier to ever be backed by Subaru of America....now that I'm thinking about it could mean sponsored? But that would be odd that Subaru has never sponsored any other company??

In any case they shouldn't void warranty if properly installed as they only provide benefits for turbo engines and direct injection engines. They are easy enough to remove if you have to bring in for service.
I think the only reason they don't come from the factory with one is the cost.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Maybe you don't need one if Subaru deployed this in their DI engines.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very interesting.
I see the application status wasn't active until this month...the same month these same engines are being installed in the new Outback and Legacy.
Maybe this is for those models and was excluded from the Ascent?

Reactions: Trey T

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
I will check.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
Hello Robert, I know you are on Vacation, but I was just wondering if you had received an answer on this issue? Have fun and thanks
I haven't had a chance to look at the 2020 Outback's implementation of our drivetrain, but I suspect it's very similar (gearing differences and maybe CVT clamping pressure differences due to the much lower weight and much lower towing), but, I am not aware of anything that indicates any such addition to the FA24DIT.

Elsewhere I mentioned their mitigation methods, but that's all I've found. Lucas (a trusted name) says this works, but, I have no intentions of spraying this into my intake system until it's been out for a while and thoroughly tested, and have run it by a Subaru Master Tech or one of their engineers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts