Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first time I looked under the hood I was a bit lost. There was a flappy part on the underside of the hood, I thought the insulation was loose. Turns out is is supposedly for air flow to the turbo? or is the dealer yanking my chain? If this is indeed for directional air intake, why not have a scoop on the hood and do it right?

·
Registered
411 Posts
it is indeed for air intake for the top mount intercooler; they used to have the scoop, but have since gone away with it for the global platform. Only the WRx/STI have them on new models.

Reactions: AWDfreak

·
Registered
685 Posts
When they took away the scoop for the 2014 XT, their explanation was that the scoop-less hood gained 1 MPG in EPA testing.

I'd give back one MPG for the scoop.
No doubt. Subaru was the only platform putting the inter-cooler right on top of the heat generating motor. The scoop is what makes this platform what it is, and unique. All other manufactures have an intercooler in the front (FMIC) and it get air flow like a radiator. This flappy air-diverter is hokey.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had forgotten about that thing as we are not fortunate enough to get the in the US

·
Registered
313 Posts
No doubt. Subaru was the only platform putting the inter-cooler right on top of the heat generating motor. The scoop is what makes this platform what it is, and unique. All other manufactures have an intercooler in the front (FMIC) and it get air flow like a radiator. This flappy air-diverter is hokey.
Opinions vary. Better fuel efficiency, plus an easy way to see if the screen needs cleaning when you open the hood, all positivies to me. A hood scoop never screamed "Subaru" to me, plenty other details do that.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The hood scoop, awd, the big fog lights, and wrc championships always came to mind when it came to Subarus for me. The scoop was very iconic imo

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I want the scoop back.

Subaru never screamed anything at all to me until I honked at a sloe Subaru rice rocket from my Nissan 370Z and the guy left me in the dust. Subaru FTW!!!!!!

·
Registered
978 Posts
I am curious if dark painted hoods due to summer heat cause a drop in power vs white? In my area dark cars get **** hot. I had a garage door opener clipped to the Visor in my dark grey Land Cruiser. No joke it was a wadded melted mess after a road trip through Fresno CA. I wonder if black super heats the hood ducting air going to the intake?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
is the current method of conveying air less effective than the hood scoop? I like the hood scoop look but if the scoop functions better, I'm all for it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
is the current method of conveying air less effective than the hood scoop? I like the hood scoop look but if the scoop functions better, I'm all for it.
Modern cars don’t have restricted air intakes its is one of the easiest things Auto makers can perfect Easily.

·
Registered
494 Posts

Theres definitely more efficient ways of cooling the intercooler than a top mount especially with how hot the engine bay gets. With the older WRX, we got heat soak pretty often and it was noticeable when we were in stop and go traffic. Even when youre constantly on the move, the air gets rammed towards the back of the intercooler rather than the entire area. Adding a scoop splitter helped with that a lot.

A larger top mount helped but most people got better results with a front mount intercooler

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
That's Excessive...

This is for the Forester, but I would totally rock this for the Ascent if they make it!!
Ok, I'm sorry, but that's ridiculously excessive...

...with that said, I LOVE it and would also DEFINITELY rock that on my Ascent!!! :grin: :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
411 Posts
It would be cool to have the scoop on there, I bet a smarter thing would be to use some gold foil tape on the backside of the top mount to help a bit with heat soak; it will probably negate a couple of degrees. Anyone know the thickness of that intercooler? I wonder if there would be some aftermarket options; Since this is basically a bored out FA20, you would think WRX parts **could** work

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Theres definitely more efficient ways of cooling the intercooler than a top mount especially with how hot the engine bay gets. With the older WRX, we got heat soak pretty often and it was noticeable when we were in stop and go traffic. Even when youre constantly on the move, the air gets rammed towards the back of the intercooler rather than the entire area. Adding a scoop splitter helped with that a lot.

A larger top mount helped but most people got better results with a front mount intercooler
What would be the average cost for the front mount conversion and are the kits out there already that may fits (or w/ minimal mod)?

·
Registered
685 Posts
They say it gets 1mpg better without a scoop, I assume that is from the wind tunnel advantage at 55mph. An air-to-air intercooler needs air flow to do it's job effectively. I assume Subaru is trading performance for efficiency.

It's also a styling and marketing thing. It might even be more of this than anything. Lets's think of our target audience. How many owners surveyed want a hole in their hood. How many (besides me) likes that look. How many would never buy it because it reminds them of that Vaping-Punk-Tuner(sporting a sideways hat and skinny jeans) with a monster carbon-fiber fly-catcher scabbed onto the hood of that beat up BugEye.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts