Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2 week old Ascent. Car does not cool unless it gets moving around town, and it still is not cold like it should be. Turning up the fan to the highest, with the temp down to 60 still does not cool it down when it's sitting. Also have the creaking noise.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,214 Posts
In general, those reporting issues with the HVAC system that have been solved hinge around a leak...often at the firewall...or under-fill of the refrigerant at the factory. Your dealer service team should check those things as well as other related to hopefully solve your issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just dropped off my 5 mo. Ascent after AC was not working for months. I know, slow to the party but the weather was cooler and I had hoped I was imagining my new car didn't cool properly. But now with higher temps, I've really noticed the difference. I took it in today and I was informed that there is a technical service bulletin from Subaru about this issue and I'm waiting for a small part to fix it. I'm just glad it was not all in my head and look forward to AC. :)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I just dropped off my 5 mo. Ascent after AC was not working for months. I know, slow to the party but the weather was cooler and I had hoped I was imagining my new car didn't cool properly. But now with higher temps, I've really noticed the difference. I took it in today and I was informed that there is a technical service bulletin from Subaru about this issue and I'm waiting for a small part to fix it. I'm just glad it was not all in my head and look forward to AC. :)
When you find out please let us know what the part/issue is. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
When you find out please let us know what the part/issue is. Thanks
Just picked up my car and the AC is definitely working.

So here's the deal: Suburu is aware of the leak from AC front pipe and they did issue a service bulletin about this issue. There is a defective switch on the line that allows the refrigerant to leak. They had to replace the pipe, Part # 73431XC00A, o-rings and charged system to specs. I had only .11kgs and specs require .85kgs of refrigerant for AC to work well.

In other words, if your Ascent is blowing hot air for a new car, get it checked out.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I have a 2 week old Ascent. Car does not cool unless it gets moving around town, and it still is not cold like it should be. Turning up the fan to the highest, with the temp down to 60 still does not cool it down when it's sitting. Also have the creaking noise.
there are a few prior posts on this issue. There are a few possible problems occurring that all have simple solutions involving going to the dealer for the fix.
  1. in some instances the vehicle was shipped without enough freon. Dealer will fill to appropriate level and recharge the system.
  2. in some instances the vehicle has a freon leak (sometimes it is found in a pipe that runs through the firewall). dealer will replace and refill and recharge.
  3. in some instance one or more of the above in combination have occurred.
My vehicle had #1 and it took two hours to completely repair. It is wonderful to feel the cold air when needed.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts

So here's the deal: Subaru is aware of the leak from AC front pipe and they did issue a service bulletin about this issue. There is a defective switch on the line that allows the refrigerant to leak. They had to replace the pipe, Part # 73431XC00A, o-rings and charged system to specs. I had only .11kgs and specs require .85kgs of refrigerant for AC to work well.

In other words, if your Ascent is blowing hot air for a new car, get it checked out.
This is great detailed information. I had my refrigerant recently filled (it was way low) and charged. It worked great for two weeks. I was told they checked for leaks but either they could not detect the leak or really did not check. Also there was no mention of the service bulletin. Now it is no longer working and I have an appointment two weeks out with 90 degree plus weather here for some time with 3/4 -1 hour commute each way. I am not looking forward to this, but I will definitely make sure they have the part on hand for the repair.

Do you know the technical service bulletin number or have a link to it? I have not been able to find that particular tsb.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just got my 4-day-old 2019 Ascent back today for AC blowing warm air. Tech "found high side pressure sensor leaking. New high side A/C line needed as per TSB 10-92-19". He replace the high side line, now back working fine.
I had the same TSB # on my invoice. Can't find details online. <<sigh>>

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I had the same TSB # on my invoice. Can't find details online. <<sigh>>
I just called Groove Subaru service department and was told they do not have access to any TSB database only warranty. That sounds ABSURD to me that either the service advisor or the technician would not avail themselves of a TSB from Subaru. I stated how would the tech proceed if they have no way of knowing of a TSB and he stated that sometimes a customer tells them about it. This entire conversation might as well have been taken from One Flew Over the Cookoos Nest. Aargh! I guess Subaru just writes up the TSB for their own happiness and stuffs them in a draw so the technicians can't find them. To heck with Subaru's effert in researching patterns of symptoms. Good thing my hand could not reach through the phone.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Update: I spoke with Subaru USA and they stated of course the technicians have access to the database for TSBs. In addition the service advisor at Auto Nation where I made my appointment had stated that I would have to check back a couple of days prior to my appointment (two weeks out) to see if they can provide a loaner. I called back this morning, spoke with someone senior and got a guaranteed loaner for the evening before the appointment until it is repaired the end of the next day. I was not about to lose a day's work for a warranty item on a brand new vehicle. The point is that some service advisors as these dealers do not know what they are talking about and some do not know how to take care of customers. Stand up for yourself, be respectful and assertive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Update: I spoke with Subaru USA and they stated of course the technicians have access to the database for TSBs. In addition the service advisor at Auto Nation where I made my appointment had stated that I would have to check back a couple of days prior to my appointment (two weeks out) to see if they can provide a loaner. I called back this morning, spoke with someone senior and got a guaranteed loaner for the evening before the appointment until it is repaired the end of the next day. I was not about to lose a day's work for a warranty item on a brand new vehicle. The point is that some service advisors as these dealers do not know what they are talking about and some do not know how to take care of customers. Stand up for yourself, be respectful and assertive.
Well, I have to say Subaru South Bay in SoCal does an awesome job in customer service. When I dropped my car off, not only did they do my first oil tire change, but gave me a loaner so I wouldn't have to wait 3 hrs later to be told I needed to come back because of the AC issue. They even got the car back to me earlier than expected and having AC in these temps is a godsend.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts

So here's the deal: Suburu is aware of the leak from AC front pipe and they did issue a service bulletin about this issue. There is a defective switch on the line that allows the refrigerant to leak. They had to replace the pipe, Part # 73431XC00A, o-rings and charged system to specs. I had only .11kgs and specs require .85kgs of refrigerant for AC to work well.

You are correct. I just came back from picking up the repaired Ascent. It took almost one week here in Denver for them to get the part in (I drove a loaner). The replacement part numbers were the same as yours. 73431XCOOA pipe which is the small pipe that goes from in front of the radiator to the firewall. It does not penetrate the firewall but rather connects to what looks like a larger header pipe. They refer to the pipe as a evaporation cooling pipe. They added the Freon and charged the system. My invoice does not note o-rings but I assume this is part of the pipe kit. One person at the dealer thought they might issue a recall because of environmental concerns.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts