Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Took out the ascent for a ride to gather some numbers. All I have done so far is installed a K&N aftermarket filter to replace the factory filter. and removed the air intake resonator (along with sealing the extra hole left behind to ensure no engine hot air can enter the intake system)...
I put a screen shot of some running numbers.

Multiple Threads Merged to provide a Journal aspect to Agnag's chronicle of his Ascent - Administrator.

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Be interesting to see how the "numbers" with your K&N mods compare with a stock configuration. COBB has been pretty specific that both intake and exhaust mods do not give the gains as with most other vehicles when running their maps. They have even alluded that even with custom tuning for those mods, the price/hp-TQ just is not worth it. Always refer to the map notes, which can be found here: COBB Support
I would love to drop $$$ for more performance, but I just don't think it is there for the Ascent, beyond the AP, until they can change the CVT programming.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the input. I’m in it for the fun of trying to do things myself and learning more about my vehicle. As I did with my 2015 forester XT and 2011 WRX.
Also, I am very well aware of the skepticism from and info given from Cobb as well as the Subaru community. But, to each his own I believe is how the saying goes...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Appreciate the input. I’m in it for the fun of trying to do things myself and learning more about my vehicle. As I did with my 2015 forester XT and 2011 WRX.
Also, I am very well aware of the skepticism from and info given from Cobb as well as the Subaru community. But, to each his own I believe is how the saying goes...
Take one for the team and do a full turboback and get it street tuned!

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take one for the team and do a full turboback and get it street tuned!
I’m making an appt at dirty racing products here in Florida this week! Slow and steady !!!!! Any other suggestions lemme know

·
Registered
680 Posts
Back in the day, a "Stage II+" BL/BP-chasses Legacy 2.5GT was a fun little ride the punched well above its weight. In the intervening years, turbocharged Subarus other than the WRX/STI have also been able to take advantage of those same tricks.

It'll be interesting to see just how far someone can take the Ascent. Can it equal the Explorer ST in the stoplight drag...or maybe even shoot for the moon and try on the Cherokee SRT? Hang with a Cayenne on a track day? I really would like to see someone give it a go. :cool:

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Back in the day, a "Stage II+" BL/BP-chasses Legacy 2.5GT was a fun little ride the punched well above its weight. In the intervening years, turbocharged Subarus other than the WRX/STI have also been able to take advantage of those same tricks.

It'll be interesting to see just how far someone can take the Ascent. Can it equal the Explorer ST in the stoplight drag...or maybe even shoot for the moon and try on the Cherokee SRT? Hang with a Cayenne on a track day? I really would like to see someone give it a go. :cool:
Haha yes!! An absolute sleeper. Subaru always seems to somehow find a way to impress its fans!

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I’m making an appt at dirty racing products here in Florida this week! Slow and steady !!!!! Any other suggestions lemme know
While I'd love to see how fast the Ascent can move on a Stage 2 tune, please, be aware that the COBB 93 octane Stage 1 tune is already at the absolute maximum I'd use on the Ascent's TR690's current configuration. They already ate almost the entirety of the safety margin to accomplish their Stage 1 tune.

To date, no one has figured out how to adjust the clamping pressure of the chain for higher torque. Without doing so, you will slip the chain, and that will continue to get worse as you eat away the chain pins. Not to mention you'll end up clogging the filter or valve bodies in the process. The end result will be that you need a new CVT or a costly tear down and rebuild by a non-dealership repair shop (no dealership in the country is allowed to do that type of repair on the Ascent TR690).

There are a couple of tuners working on deciphering the TCM to increase the clamping pressure ranges of the TR690, but, to date, no one has succeeded.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While I'd love to see how fast the Ascent can move on a Stage 2 tune, please, be aware that the COBB 93 octane Stage 1 tune is already at the absolute maximum I'd use on the Ascent's TR690's current configuration. They already ate almost the entirety of the safety margin to accomplish their Stage 1 tune.

To date, no one has figured out how to adjust the clamping pressure of the chain for higher torque. Without doing so, you will slip the chain, and that will continue to get worse as you eat away the chain pins. Not to mention you'll end up clogging the filter or valve bodies in the process. The end result will be that you need a new CVT or a costly tear down and rebuild by a non-dealership repair shop (no dealership in the country is allowed to do that type of repair on the Ascent TR690).

There are a couple of tuners working on deciphering the TCM to increase the clamping pressure ranges of the TR690, but, to date, no one has succeeded.
Wow huge facts!!! Love the input. I have had it on stage 1 87 for now. not taking it to the 93 yet until I put more miles on the Ascent. Just about to hit 2k this week...purchased last month

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I'm not admitting to having tried the 93 tune... 🤣 😉 but, if I had, I'd probably be VERY impressed with the big increase in power and performance - as well as how much smoother the Ascent felt because the computer wasn't closing up the wastegate to maintain its rather sedate (in comparison) 277 tq/ 260 hp.

I literally dropped a full second 0-60, 93 tune vs stock. Theoretically. If I ever tried running it. 😊

Seriously though, I am currently on stock tune, and have been for quite a while. I love the data logging of the Accessport. But, their 93 tune is very impressive. You have NO idea how tempting it was to keep running it (but you will, when ya try it, lol!!!).

PS: now you see why many WRX owners run into problems. :(

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s been a while since I posted. But tuned the ascent to the COBB OTS Stage 1 93 and car runs absolutely amazing. Such a smooth ride...and when you want to really show off some power..she lets ya!....

not really the big news...the real news is the Nameless Muffler delete axleback exhaust comes in tomorrow evening!!! I'm super stocked to put this on. only because i just purchased and got back the BURPLE TUNE from #brentuning. i will be posting some videos and if you want a sneak peak of the cars progression check out the instagram: @agnag0410.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Once I figure out how to post a clip I’ll post a video of the cold start and some of the cracks and pops from the burple tune soon. The power boosts are incredible as well! I’ll post the Cobb AP numbers later today.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,439 Posts
If you upload the video to YouTube you can post the link in here. This is the easiest way to share videos.
I’m excited to hear it!

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If y’all follow my IG: @agnag0410 you can hear it and I’ll upload to YouTube all the vids to post on here later this afternoon!!!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts