Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to these forums, and I purchased my Subaru Ascent in Jan 2019. I have the Premium model with push button start package. Loving it so far, and no complaints! I've read that there is an auxiliary transmission cooler on the Premium and higher models. So, do I need to purchase and install an aftermarket transmission cooler for when I tow my 3400# RV trailer?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,569 Posts
Premium, Limited and Touring are all vetted for towing up to the vehicle limit without adding any aftermarket gadgets like that. You need the hitch receiver (OEM is best or equivalent third party if you must) and wiring for lights/brakes if you do not already have them installed.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Yeah, only the base model doesn't have the tran cooler, which is why it is limited to 2,000 lbs towing.

I tow 4700lbs with my Ascent Premium all the time! :D

·
Registered
965 Posts
Any option for base model to increase towing capacity? aftermarket transmission oil cooler? thanks
Yes - trade it in for a premium.

Seriously - just get the premium in the first place. The car almost certainly has additional programming in it to reflect that it's a base model and not a premium.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So I'm trying to get some clarification here. I have a 2020 Limited and am looking to purchase a small camper with a gross weight of approximately 3000 pounds. Should I install an aftermarket transmission cooler or is there a cooler install?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts