Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just got my ascent premium with standard audio (no HK, no RF upgrade). and while I love the car, I’ve been intending to upgrade the speakers to get a richer sound.

I’m an (amateur) audiophile with a $600-800 budget for parts (ideally would like to stay closer to $600), but I’ve never upgraded my car speakers. With that, a few questions that I would appreciate your advice on:

1. Which speakers would you recommend? Reading this forum, I’ve heard of both morel and focal, but from what I’ve read the highs on the focal are a bit much. Are there other brands I should consider for the ascent? Note - I’m not looking to buy a sub at this time, but would like the flexibility to add one later.

2. Do you recommend I upgrade all six speakers or just focus on the front ones?

3. Do I need an amp? Or is the 8” head unit enough?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I ran through and did mine a week after buying it. I used Pioneer A series all around and this is what I've learned.

1. Put a good clean bass speaker in the front door 6x9 position. The head unit has plenty of power to play full range on this channel.
2. The dash 1" tweeter isn't a bad speaker but you'll find some mids lacking between it and the front door speaker
3. The dash position is a full range output that's separate from the front door channel. You can put a 3.5" speaker in the dash to help the mids, but if it has a large diameter magnet you're going to have fitment problems.
4. The rear door speakers have SEVERELY LIMITED range. Basically it's just a midrange. No bass, no highs. There doesn't seem to be much you can do about this and I regret putting a good 6.5" 3 way speaker here. You could put a good midrange here but it's more like a surround sound rear speaker.
5. The component tweeter on the Pioneer A series is way too bright.

BTW I cut the sockets out of the factory speakers so that I could solder them onto my new speakers and then just plug the factory harness in. There are harness adapters available now and Crutchfield carries them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts