Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,440 Posts
^Subaru should replace the paddle shift for shift knob shifting.
Oh my....that's a can of worms! It's a factor "as we speak" with the next generation Grand Cherokee that sports "the rotary knob" and has folks waving silver crosses and some threatening to never buy another one again. Of course, many of the high end lux vehicles have "the knob"...

Reactions: Pluckito1111

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I think the billet knob is cool, but it would be cooler if we can use it more frequent. Otherwise, it's primarily for look.

I mean, the paddle shift isn't all that great for city driving, particularly when turning. I think Subaru got it right w/ having the paddles on the column, but the paddle themselves are too short and small.

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts
I think the billet knob is cool, but it would be cooler if we can use it more frequent. Otherwise, it's primarily for look.

I mean, the paddle shift isn't all that great for city driving, particularly when turning. I think Subaru got it right w/ having the paddles on the column, but the paddle themselves are too short and small.
That's fixable. The paddles are the same size on almost every Subaru. Stark Performance no longer sells them, but numerous other sellers do.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I might take mine off... undecided.

·
Registered
368 Posts
While billet shifts look great, ultimately not practical in Florida. I had a titanium billet in my RX-8 (hint, my screen name for car forums) and had to go back to leather wrapped. Had to wear a glove to touch it after parking outside.
Then you also know that seat belt latches can turn into branding irons. Handle with care!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
948 Posts
Then you also know that seat belt latches can turn into branding irons. Handle with care!
True, but those only get used upon entry and exit. The shift knob in a high reving rotary 6 speed is in constant use (in addition to being used as a hand rest while cruising)

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium White (NEW!! 😍) 2015 Legacy 3.6R White (Former 😭)
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Ok I couldn't sleep so I kept poking around and found this guy apparently also testing the Perrin knob but on an Outback.

Gotta say. That's sexy af.
06562F8B-BEDB-478E-AFC1-661797D0456F.jpeg
27C81308-3EDF-4612-8380-EA55BBE06F13.jpeg

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts
Lol photos of the knob in the Ascent today.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium Blue Abyss
249 Posts
Ok I couldn't sleep so I kept poking around and found this guy apparently also testing the Perrin knob but on an Outback.

Gotta say. That's sexy af.
View attachment 12720 View attachment 12719
Looks great but to my vegas mind I instantly saw myself burning my hand when leaving work and having to explain to a coworker what the issue is (its a health science university so they like weird stuff)..LOL

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts
Gorgeous!!! And, it hasn't gotten hot even when the car is over 130°F inside.

Don't forget to tell Jeff and his team that I sent you all.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
547 Posts
Never understood the rounded medal shifter knobs. I always want to throwup when I see the options for manuals.

Though, I'm curious.....how do you disengage the lockout?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Gorgeous!!! And, it hasn't gotten hot even when the car is over 130°F inside.

Don't forget to tell Jeff and his team that I sent you all.
Looks great! Do they have an approximate date/timeframe when they will make it available?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Upon doing research, it looks like that you would just press down on the knob to disengage.

I could totally be wrong though. 🤷‍♂️

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts
Never understood the rounded medal shifter knobs. I always want to throwup when I see the options for manuals.

Upon doing research, it looks like that you would just press down on the knob to disengage.

I could totally be wrong though. 🤷‍♂️
Yes, that's how.

Looks great! Do they have an approximate date/timeframe when they will make it available?
I hope to have a date for you all very soon.

·
Administrator
10,404 Posts
I had one of those on my 1965 Chevy Impala... 😍

21 - 36 of 36 Posts