Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Registered
2021 Ascent Premium White (NEW!! 馃槏) 2015 Legacy 3.6R White (Former 馃槶)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any good leads on Shift Knobs for the Ascent?

Can't really seem to find anything pointing to even a universal one that would work.

I'd love this one to work..

Administrator
I am currently testing one for PERRIN Performance.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amazing, Perrin makes great stuff!

Any pics you can share or is it confidential?

Administrator

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Registered
No!
Then it would be like every other automatic out there. I like Subaru鈥檚 uniqueness. Just my opinion
"uniqueness" as in look or utility? in terms of utility on the billet shift knob that Robert has, what do you think of it?

What do you think of the utility of the paddle shift we have for city driving? i.e. does it function well for you?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
^Subaru should replace the paddle shift for shift knob shifting.
Gotta say, I rarely use the paddle shifters in my Legacy 3.6R.

Kind of forget that they're there sometimes.

I actually MIGHT get some more use out if the shifting was +/- via the shift knob.

I agree.

Registered
2020 CWP Touring
^Subaru should replace the paddle shift for shift knob shifting.
I've had both and I like both for different reasons. I like the shift knob shifting because it's a bit more relaxed. I very often drive with my left elbow on the window sill, my left hand on the left side of the wheel, and my right hand on the shift knob (even in automatic cars). I grew up driving standard transmissions and that's where my driving position seems to naturally fall. From this perspective, shift knob shifting is nice because I can keep that driving position that is so natural to me.

The paddle shifters force a two-hands, 10-and-2 sort of driving position (if you want to be shifting the "gears" yourself). This is good for safety and is certainly more favorable for spirited driving. Subaru has long been a proponent and an advocate for vehicle safety, and they probably presume that manual shifting will be used most often in spirited driving situations. I suspect they use paddle shifters to encourage and support the 10-and-2 driving.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had both and I like both for different reasons. I like the shift knob shifting because it's a bit more relaxed. I very often drive with my left elbow on the window sill, my left hand on the left side of the wheel, and my right hand on the shift knob (even in automatic cars). I grew up driving standard transmissions and that's where my driving position seems to naturally fall. From this perspective, shift knob shifting is nice because I can keep that driving position that is so natural to me.

The paddle shifters force a two-hands, 10-and-2 sort of driving position (if you want to be shifting the "gears" yourself). This is good for safety and is certainly more favorable for spirited driving. Subaru has long been a proponent and an advocate for vehicle safety, and they probably presume that manual shifting will be used most often in spirited driving situations. I suspect they use paddle shifters to encourage and support the 10-and-2 driving.
Natural driving position for me has always been left hand/wheel, right hand/shifter. So I'm always riding like this. LOL

I miss driving a manual! 馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶馃槶

Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
While billet shifts look great, ultimately not practical in Florida. I had a titanium billet in my RX-8 (hint, my screen name for car forums) and had to go back to leather wrapped. Had to wear a glove to touch it after parking outside.

Administrator
Yep, I've had super hot days and super cold days with them. Still love them enough to deal with it though. Worse was, it was in my 2010 Outback 6MT, so, I had to use it a LOT more often, lol!

Super Moderator
"uniqueness" as in look or utility? in terms of utility on the billet shift knob that Robert has, what do you think of it?

What do you think of the utility of the paddle shift we have for city driving? i.e. does it function well for you?
I don鈥檛 think the paddle shifters are necessarily any more useful than one on the shift lever. In city driving I let the cvt do it鈥檚 thing. Ive only found manual shifting useful momentarily on the highways. Turning the wheel complicates shifting too, which is done more in city driving of course.
Neither design can substitute for an actual manual! I鈥檓 in the club of those who almost always drive with one hand on the shifter. Just moving the shifter forward and backward doesn鈥檛 feel natural and I end up looking to see which way is which for gear ratios. Even if I had to look at the paddle shifters, which I don鈥檛 because they feel more intuitive, they鈥檙e closer to my field of view.
I like how the oem shifter matches my premium trim fairly well, therefore I鈥檓 not a huge fan of the one Robert showed. I would love to see it installed and used though. I bet it would feel good in your hand! I had a manual Chevy Cruze with a similar shaped knob that felt nice.

Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
A bit off topic but does anyone remember those Hurst aluminum T handle shift knobs from the muscle car days?

I had one on my '65 426 Sport Fury. It was better for racing than for everyday driving but it looked cool. I wish I had kept it when I traded that Plymouth for a new '69 VW Beetle.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

Administrator
A bit off topic but does anyone remember those Hurst aluminum T handle shift knobs from the muscle car days?

I had one on my '65 426 Sport Fury. It was better for racing than for everyday driving but it looked cool. I wish I had kept it when I traded that Plymouth for a new '69 VW Beetle.
I had one in my 1965 Chevy Impala SS on a big chromed long shift arm.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shoot I might rock a T handle shifter in the Ascent if it was nice enough. LOL

1 - 20 of 36 Posts