·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,743 Posts
That's pretty sharp looking!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
SOA should have a “shakey hood” recall and install these .
so not my style, but to each their own. these are fiberglass hoods with aluminum shrouds and I would imagine are susceptible to the same shakes.

I do not doubt that in general if done properly some added HP could be achieved. If an owner wants to increase HP there may be other approaches providing better value. I have no idea myself one way or another. I bought an Ascent for comfort, carrying capacity, and ability to navigate rough terrain, not for its speed. At a minimum it needed to be able to deal with highway speeds and acceleration so speed matters but not much after a certain point.

I see in their FAQ "In an actual dyno test with the Smartflow Shroud on a fully stock STI, a tune with stock boost, we see more than a 30hps difference on the wheels before/after "

engine versus wheel hp

horse power versus torque
how to increase horse power

air intakes

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so not my style, but to each their own. these are fiberglass hoods with aluminum shrouds and I would imagine are susceptible to the same shakes.

I do not doubt that in general if done properly some added HP could be achieved. If an owner wants to increase HP there may be other approaches providing better value. I have no idea myself one way or another. I bought an Ascent for comfort, carrying capacity, and ability to navigate rough terrain, not for its speed. At a minimum it needed to be able to deal with highway speeds and acceleration so speed matters but not much after a certain point.

I see in their FAQ "In an actual dyno test with the Smartflow Shroud on a fully stock STI, a tune with stock boost, we see more than a 30hps difference on the wheels before/after "

engine versus wheel hp

It is a looks thing to me not a speed thing.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I simply love it,if only my wallet would agree I would purchase one tomorrow.This look to me would be like honoring the heritage of the STi performance division past & present.I believe it would definitely make our Ascents standout in a crowded market and be the envy of the group.
Toyota has a non- functioning scoop on their Tacomas ,while it looks good I say to myself...”why,it’s fake!”.Thats like putting a scoop on a Honda.If it serves a function fine ,if it don’t then leave it alone.There’s a reason why this company introduced this product...functionality & tradition.
My $.02 ,thank you.

·
Registered
966 Posts
It looks great, but the Ascent isn't really the kind of car that you would expect to see with a hood scoop. I'm surprised they targeted the Ascent for this kind of accessory.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It looks great, but the Ascent isn't really the kind of car that you would expect to see with a hood scoop. I'm surprised they targeted the Ascent for this kind of accessory.
Not surprised at all. If Ascent buyers have already been Subie owners, and life stage puts them in an Ascent, they've already been exposed to/part of the modifying culture around Subies. Look at how many of us change out the tires and wheels right away plus how popular chrome deletes are.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

engine versus wheel hp

air intakes
They weigh more than the OEM aluminum hood.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm skeptical it does anything significant for performance. The site says, "a more aggressive sports performance styled hood." So they claim his has performance style, not performance. I'd like to see data. A decent starting point would be to measure airflow through the IC at various road speeds compared to stock. Assuming it's greater, the next question is what the ECU makes of it.

It is probably more hail damage resistant that the aluminum hood...something to consider when/if mine gets dinged. I didn't see a price. How much for the CF version?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I'm skeptical it does anything significant for performance. The site says, "a more aggressive sports performance styled hood." So they claim his has performance style, not performance. I'd like to see data. A decent starting point would be to measure airflow through the IC at various road speeds compared to stock. Assuming it's greater, the next question is what the ECU makes of it.

It is probably more hail damage resistant that the aluminum hood...something to consider when/if mine gets dinged.
I too was very reluctant on the marketing, but then I noticed in the FAQ section that they stipulate an increase of 30hp at the wheels. That claim is specific enough for those that care. I am not in a position to evaluate it, but I assume that regardless of the air flow measurements if the hp at the wheels are increased by 30 before/after then that is what counts for performance. They do clearly state that they strongly recommend a tune up after the install to maximize the performance increase.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I too was very reluctant on the marketing, but then I noticed in the FAQ section that they stipulate an increase of 30hp at the wheels. That claim is specific enough for those that care. I am not in a position to evaluate it, but I assume that regardless of the air flow measurements if the hp at the wheels are increased by 30 before/after then that is what counts for performance. They do clearly state that they strongly recommend a tune up after the install to maximize the performance increase.
Yeah I noticed that as well. I'm dubious of that claim for sure. I'm also not really interested in any 'tuning' beyond what comes OTS on @COBB accessport. As mentioned above I'd be all over an air intake/hood upgrade with there was AP support. At this point it's only performance styling, absolutely. But I think it looks great. Somewhat similar to the Durango SRT hood scoop, which I love. That was on my list when shopping for the Ascent, but so many reasons to NOT by that. I'm also curious about the pricing, might consider it down the road after a few other mods.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Yeah I noticed that as well. I'm dubious of that claim for sure. I'm also not really interested in any 'tuning' beyond what comes OTS on @COBB accessport. As mentioned above I'd be all over an air intake/hood upgrade with there was AP support. At this point it's only performance styling, absolutely. But I think it looks great. Somewhat similar to the Durango SRT hood scoop, which I love. That was on my list when shopping for the Ascent, but so many reasons to NOT by that. I'm also curious about the pricing, might consider it down the road after a few other mods.
I am sure it is very expensive since they address the high cost in their FAQ.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts