Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is our third Subaru having owned a Legacy then Outback before with both being solid vehicles.... so we are no rookies to Subaru.
So the Ascent..., I really like the car, love the ride, interior has lots of room and interior quality seems above average.

BUT..... this car seems to have more than average number of recalls. Took my car in today for the latest recall (fuel pump) which is the 5th in a little less than two years of ownership. While they were repairing that, I had them look at the "lose" steering that had been pretty much with this car the whole time. Sure enough, there was a major problem with the steering assembly (with 20,000 miles), to the point he said it was unsafe to drive and they had to order another one. Thankfully our dealer has plenty of loaners.

Maybe I'm expecting too much out of Subaru. I know people are going to say that's what goes with a new model, etc, but this seems like way too many issues.

·
Registered
913 Posts
No, it's true... there have been a lot of recalls.

The difference with Subaru is they are very proactive and over-inclusive in their recalls to make sure they get everyone. They don't wait until there's a complaint or a class action or even just bad reviews..... they find something, they fix it.

Many other automakers will hide or minimize their defects/recalls.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have to say in general, the dealership experience, while having had some issues with the actual repair of the car, has been friendly and agreeable. I think that's good marketing, and helps build a loyal customer base. Especially for people who are a little bit intimidated by the whole car purchasing /service/dealership experience.

One of the advisors at the Mercedes dealership was often a jackass to customers (And honestly, it wasn't because of a pompous or arrogant owner giving the service advisor a hard time), I've never seen anything of the sort at the Subaru dealership. Amazingly in 9 months, haven't had the Jag in for anything ( I did say I was a statistical anomaly when it comes to car reliability), so can't comment there.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,839 Posts
Recalls are a good thing...they are a proactive effort by the manufacturer to correct something that's not operating or designed properly. I'm a heck of a lot more worried about things that don't get fixed or even noted by vehicle manufacturers...which historically/anecdotally has been "not good" in many cases.

My MY19 has only had two applicable recalls to-date, AFAIK, and both were handled expeditiously by my dealer.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The Ascent is our 6th's Subaru between me and my wife, and it has given us the most trouble. Our MY19 has several recalls and is on its 2nd transmission. I still like the Ascent for the same reasons PDuncan said, but the quality issues has soured my wife toward any future Subaru as her next car. Lucky after new transmission, we have not had any issues with the Ascent.

I am glad Subaru is actively doing the recalls, but it also tells me the quality is slipping. I know the fault is usually related with the suppliers and usually not with the Subaru design, but it still reflects poorly on Subaru. Like the Subaru fuel pump recall, I know it also applies to Hondas because Denso dropped the ball.

I was considering a 20 Legacy XT to replace my MY13 Legacy 3.6R in early February but now I am on the fence. I am concerned with the quality of the Legacy, the CVT, and especially the infotainment system. The software is by Blackberry (yes that Blackberry!) and I have read of issues with it being really laggy at times. Oh Denso makes the electronics for the infotainment system...

·
Registered
204 Posts
My 2014 RAM 3500 (6.4 Hemi) had eight recalls on less than three years. Got rid of it in May 2017. Horrible truck. Luckily I didn't owe much on it.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
620 Posts
We intentionally did not buy a 2019 so the kinks could be worked out. I'd say anyone with a sour taste in their mouth on year one for a new model needs to apply some offset on their scoring. Whenever the new STI is released I'll likely get year one, but I fully expect it to have a bunch of issues.

·
Registered
56 Posts
After the MY 19 Ascent recalls and the obvious problems with other models that have been redesigned (Outback), Id still recommend Subaru’s, but I won’t buy a new/refreshed model the first year ever again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We intentionally did not buy a 2019 so the kinks could be worked out. I'd say anyone with a sour taste in their mouth on year one for a new model needs to apply some offset on their scoring. Whenever the new STI is released I'll likely get year one, but I fully expect it to have a bunch of issues.
Purchased the 2019 Ascent. Love the car! but some issues. No real changes with 2020, hope 2021 has some more features. If so will trade the 2019 for the 2021.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,839 Posts
Purchased the 2019 Ascent. Love the car! but some issues. No real changes with 2020, hope 2021 has some more features. If so will trade the 2019 for the 2021.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Today is my 2 year anniversary (salesman called me to remind me). I've done 4 recalls and a new transmission - it died before the recall. I guess for me, I knew that a 1st year model of any brand was likely to have some issues. But my dealership was always fantastic dealing with my Outback and I knew they would make things right if I had problems. I've had my share of loaner cars but in the end, I still enjoy most everything about the vehicle. And while I'd love the newer tech in the 2021 like lane centering, I'm hoping this one will still last me a long while. I put 25k on in the 1st year and about 10k in the second. And I'd still buy another Subaru for all the same reasons I bought the first two. As long as Subaru and my dealership deal with any issues, I'm (mostly) happy. Sure, I'd love a car with zero issues, but I've never actually owned one like that -- they all have problems of some kind. I hope your wife finds exactly what she wants in the future.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,159 Posts
Sure, I'd love a car with zero issues, but I've never actually owned one like that -- they all have problems of some kind.
We have a 2005 Acura MDX that's been in the family since new, and it's been a great car with nearly 180k miles on it now. It's been nearly problem-free for the last 10 years, but it definitely had warranty work earlier on. Replacement of both catalytic converters is one of the big ticket items. And the 2005 model is near the end of the first generation MDX...not a first-year model.

Once the bugs are worked out of a particular vehicle, it's usually pretty good for the long haul.

·
Super Moderator
2,420 Posts
Today is my 2 year anniversary (salesman called me to remind me). I've done 4 recalls and a new transmission - it died before the recall. I guess for me, I knew that a 1st year model of any brand was likely to have some issues. But my dealership was always fantastic dealing with my Outback and I knew they would make things right if I had problems. I've had my share of loaner cars but in the end, I still enjoy most everything about the vehicle. And while I'd love the newer tech in the 2021 like lane centering, I'm hoping this one will still last me a long while. I put 25k on in the 1st year and about 10k in the second. And I'd still buy another Subaru for all the same reasons I bought the first two. As long as Subaru and my dealership deal with any issues, I'm (mostly) happy. Sure, I'd love a car with zero issues, but I've never actually owned one like that -- they all have problems of some kind. I hope your wife finds exactly what she wants in the future.
We're only a couple weeks apart! My Ascent turned 2 on July 24. Other than the hood TSB, Front brake rotors and pads, front struts, PCV/CVT/ECU recalls, and a few very minor issues she's been trouble free. Sure a normal person might be annoyed by the above issues but I feel like it gives her some character. In the last year she's gotten new wheels and tires, painted calipers and proper supplies and techniques for washing. I think she looks better than the day I bought her. We've been on the beach, camping a couple times, towed various trailers, carried bikes and kayaks and roof top cargo boxes, moved houses and probably more. I just installed a baby seat in the middle row to start using next Tuesday. The versatility and fun can't be beat by any of the competitors. Here's to many more years!
Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Crossover suv Road
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Family car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

1 - 13 of 13 Posts