Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I am wondering if anyone knows how Subaru deals with aftermarket modifications.

For example, the Ascent I ordered doesnt have a remote start. If I were to have one installed at a mobile electronics shop, would that void the warranty on the vehicle? What about if I decide to have the speakers upgraded?

·
Registered
11 Posts
if you got the touring version, remote start is included. Check in your glove compartment. My dealer forgot to mention it was included. If you have startink it is worth it to get the service because it includes remote start services.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is incredibly helpful. Thank you! Wish I posted this prior to placing my order-- might have thought twice before opting for factory trailer hitch on my lease

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
if you got the touring version, remote start is included. Check in your glove compartment. My dealer forgot to mention it was included. If you have startink it is worth it to get the service because it includes remote start services.
I just checked the 2020 Touring build page and key fob remote start is still an extra cost option, as it was for the 2019 Touring.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I am curious why you wouldn't just add the remote start option, the cost is pretty negligible on top of $46k. While Subaru cannot avoid your warranty, a dealer could certainly claim your aftermarket parts are part of any electrical/navigation/infotainment issues and refuse to work on it. Whereas the OEM remote start would fall under the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was focused on a lease deal. It didn’t have remote start. Non Subaru Place near me is $150 to install one, so I’m considering it

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
FYI: Option package 12 includes push button start so you can use the free My Subaru app to remote start from your phone, just need the Starlink subscription which is about $70 for 3 years when included with the Accent purchase.

Lots of us here use it.

Reactions: Big Superroo1

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,839 Posts
if you got the touring version, remote start is included
This is incorrect unless you are referring to the StarLink subscription that supports remote start with a smartphone. The fob based remote start is an accessory and can only be installed at the dealer. No "factory" or "port" installs for this option.

Reactions: Big Superroo1

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Huh... I thought you needed the remote start option in order to use the STARLINK... I have starlink on my Forester, was planning on porting it over. Interesting...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,839 Posts
Huh... I thought you needed the remote start option in order to use the STARLINK... I have starlink on my Forester, was planning on porting it over. Interesting...
No, that's not the case. StarLink "is" the remote start if you have the appropriate subscription unless one prefers a fob-based system which is available via dealer-install. (not available for "factory" or "port" install)

Reactions: Sirk98 and xydadx3

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Touring does not include any such thing, sorry.

A dealer may include to add it for customers though.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Was focused on a lease deal. It didn’t have remote start. Non Subaru Place near me is $150 to install one, so I’m considering it
We paid $150 for 4 years of starlink and just use the app for remote starting, it was much cheaper than that for a single year or two years.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Any Ascent with push button start is capable of registering for remote start with the MySubaru app. After using the app many times on my Ascent I would never even consider another system. Its so much easier just to pull out my phone and hit a couple buttons instead of walking out to my car, hitting the button, then walking back in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts