Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cost of an installed after market hitch is less than half that of the dealers price. There does seem to be a difference in the design and inclusion of the plastic knobs for the panel and maybe more. Has anyone installed one ? Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I would be wary of an aftermarket hitch. The factory/dealer installed hitch replaces a structural member on the rear of the vehicle. Subaru states that if you remove the Subaru hitch you are to replace it with the replacement “bumper beam.” A question I have is the aftermarket hitch a knockoff of the factory hitch (which would require removing the bumper beam), or is it some “add-on” hitch that is bolted on the existing structure, without removing the bumper beam?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you look at the Echo hitch video, there is no so called bumber beam removed; just the plastic bumper cover. It then seems to be a direct bolt on with no additional structural components. The Subaru hitch seems to have, for and aft flanges that are fastened before the hitch is attached. At the end of the day, i’m A bit pissed that factory hitch is so much more expensive. Is it worth 2X the cost ?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
When I look at the pictures of the Ecohitch for the Ascent on the Torklift Central website, it appears to fit in the same spot that the Subaru hitch goes, so if that’s the case the bumper beam installed on an Ascent without a Subaru hitch would need to be removed to make room for the Ecohitch, though I doubt that would be much of an issue. In the video they call it a “crash bar,” but Subaru calls it a “bumper beam” which can be clearly seen after the technician in the video removes the bumper fascia. I couldn’t tell from the Ecohitch webpage if the $316 price includes both the 7-pin and flat four wiring harness connectors, which do come with the Subaru hitch, but if not that would be an additional expense, assuming you would need a wiring harness (which you wouldn’t if all you wanted the hitch was for a bike rack). One thing I learned when I had an after-market hitch (UHaul) installed on my 2016 Crosstrek was the wiring harness, in my case a 7-pin, was an extra charge. Unless all Ascents, including those without hitches, come pre-wired to receive a 7-pin wiring harness, then in addition to the wiring of the 7-pin wiring harness you will have to have a charge wire run from the battery to the 7-pin connector to allow your car’s battery to charge your trailer battery while you’re towing. This assumes you want to pull a camper trailer with a battery, but’s not needed if what you want to pull is a cargo trailer or the like.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you look at the Echo hitch video, there is no so called bumber beam removed; just the plastic bumper cover. It then seems to be a direct bolt on with no additional structural components. The Subaru hitch seems to have, for and aft flanges that are fastened before the hitch is attached. At the end of the day, i’m A bit pissed that factory hitch is so much more expensive. Is it worth 2X the cost ?
Which video shows that? Every aftermarket hitch video that I have seen thus far shows permanent removal of the bumper beam or crash beam. I have the OEM hitch, which like many aftermarket options, keep the 2" opening rather high. I find this nice to keep the exhaust gasses off my bike wheels/tires. The OEM hitch also has 2 sets of wiring connections (4pin or 7pin), where the aftermarket ones have 1 or 0. As for 2x the cost? I guess you are finding a really cheap aftermarket hitch, or a real expensive dealer. I find most aftermarket to be same as the dealer, or within $100.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts