Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Aero regular crossbars vs extended set

29K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  msgdob86 
#1 ·
Anyone get the extended set? They are quite a bit more, so trying to decide if they are worth it. Would two kayaks fit on their sides with the regular crossbars?

Extended crossbar benefits: rooftop tent, can add Thule locks, ...anything else ?

#2 ·
You could definitely get away with the regular crossbars if you plan on using any J - style holder for the kayaks. The locks, need for overhang (due to 2 sets of hullavators), and the option to put things side by side (cargo box and ski rack) led me to the non-Subaru Thule AeroBlades and rapid crossroads set up. I’d shop around for the setup to get the best deal.

#3 ·
Hmmm will have to check the ones you mentioned out. Thinking we may want locking crossbars after all. We do have the J style Yakima kayak holders which are about 15 years old. Need to see what we may need to attach them to Thule aeroblades. Might need to head to REI to ask.

#7 ·
I have the Thule ARB 53 bars in black from my Grand Cherokee if anyone is interested. They fit the Ascent but you will need to buy the “Rapid Crossroad Footpack 450” to mount. I also have a Hullavator Pro that was only used 4 times.

#8 ·
Late to the party, but thought the info might help someone. My Ascent csme with the regular bars, and I got the extended. The extended are flatter, but just a quarter inch or so higher at the center than the regular bars. They're 18 wider, as the regular bars aren't usable right up to the tower portion. Hopefully the pictures explain it better. The end of the measuring tape is at the end of the usable portion of the regular aero bar. The 9 inch mark is near the end of the extended aero bar.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.