Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone get the extended set? They are quite a bit more, so trying to decide if they are worth it. Would two kayaks fit on their sides with the regular crossbars?

Extended crossbar benefits: rooftop tent, can add Thule locks, ...anything else ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
You could definitely get away with the regular crossbars if you plan on using any J - style holder for the kayaks. The locks, need for overhang (due to 2 sets of hullavators), and the option to put things side by side (cargo box and ski rack) led me to the non-Subaru Thule AeroBlades and rapid crossroads set up. I’d shop around for the setup to get the best deal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could definitely get away with the regular crossbars if you plan on using any J - style holder for the kayaks. The locks, need for overhang (due to 2 sets of hullavators), and the option to put things side by side (cargo box and ski rack) led me to the non-Subaru Thule AeroBlades and rapid crossroads set up. I’d shop around for the setup to get the best deal.
Hmmm will have to check the ones you mentioned out. Thinking we may want locking crossbars after all. We do have the J style Yakima kayak holders which are about 15 years old. Need to see what we may need to attach them to Thule aeroblades. Might need to head to REI to ask.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took a closer look at the Subaru extended crossbars, it looks like they include the lock cores and please correct me if I'm wrong it also looks like it might be the same as the Thule Aeroblades and rapid crossroads: https://subaru.oemdtc.com/498/soa567x010-extended-crossbar-subaru

·
Super Moderator
6,518 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
They look very similar, but I would call Thule directly to see how they decribe the differences. I paid 400 for the setup, install included.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the Thule ARB 53 bars in black from my Grand Cherokee if anyone is interested. They fit the Ascent but you will need to buy the “Rapid Crossroad Footpack 450” to mount. I also have a Hullavator Pro that was only used 4 times.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Late to the party, but thought the info might help someone. My Ascent csme with the regular bars, and I got the extended. The extended are flatter, but just a quarter inch or so higher at the center than the regular bars. They're 18 wider, as the regular bars aren't usable right up to the tower portion. Hopefully the pictures explain it better. The end of the measuring tape is at the end of the usable portion of the regular aero bar. The 9 inch mark is near the end of the extended aero bar.

·
Super Moderator
6,518 Posts
Yep...

Anyone try a roof tent on the aero bars? Does this just not work? Is it a weight thing?
Yes.

• The "Subaru" Aero bars are rated for 176 pounds total (minus their own weight) in all circumstances.
  • The "Subaru" Aero Extended bars are rated for 176 pounds in motion and 700 pounds stationary (minus their own weight).
  • The Thule AeroBlade Extended (now named "Evo Wingbar", "Wingbar Evo", "Thule Evo Raised") bars are rated for 220.5 pounds total, meaning 176 pounds in motion, or 220.5 pounds stationary (minus their own weight).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Aero Bars

Yes.

• The "Subaru" Aero bars are rated for 176 pounds total (minus their own weight) in all circumstances.
  • The "Subaru" Aero Extended bars are rated for 176 pounds in motion and 700 pounds stationary (minus their own weight).
  • The Thule AeroBlade Extended (now named "Evo Wingbar", "Wingbar Evo", "Thule Evo Raised") bars are rated for 220.5 pounds total, meaning 176 pounds in motion, or 220.5 pounds stationary (minus their own weight).
So we need "Subaru" Aero Extended bars for a roof tent period. Robert, as always thank you for the information :) You are the best.

Adam

·
Super Moderator
6,518 Posts
So we need "Subaru" Aero Extended bars for a roof tent period. Robert, as always thank you for the information :) You are the best.

Adam
I am sure there are a decent number of others, but, as of yet, they're not listed as "compatible".

Of course, the truth is, if they will mount to our side rails and clear moonroofs (for those who have them), they're compatible, but, not a lot has been tested yet.

As of now, Yakima and Thule don't list "compatible" products for the Ascent that carry over 225 pounds/220.5 pounds (respectively). One day I will dig and try to find others that will fit, if time permits... but I've got so many other projects to catch up on first.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hmmmm Compatibility

I am sure there are a decent number of others, but, as of yet, they're not listed as "compatible".

Of course, the truth is, if they will mount to our side rails and clear moonroofs (for those who have them), they're compatible, but, not a lot has been tested yet.

As of now, Yakima and Thule don't list "compatible" products for the Ascent that carry over 225 pounds/220.5 pounds (respectively). One day I will dig and try to find others that will fit, if time permits... but I've got so many other projects to catch up on first.
According to this dealer site they are compatible:

https://parts.gillmansubarunorth.com/p/Subaru_2019_Ascent-24L-Touring-wEyeSight/Thule-Crossbar-Set---Aero-Extended/67791675/SOA567X010.html

Anyone want to purchase some stock Aero bars that are slightly used??! Never had anything mounted but cant say they are new since they have been on my car. LOL

·
Super Moderator
6,518 Posts
According to this dealer site they are compatible:

https://parts.gillmansubarunorth.com/p/Subaru_2019_Ascent-24L-Touring-wEyeSight/Thule-Crossbar-Set---Aero-Extended/67791675/SOA567X010.html

Anyone want to purchase some stock Aero bars that are slightly used??! Never had anything mounted but cant say they are new since they have been on my car. LOL
No, what I meant was, outside of the three options I mentioned (that being one of them), the Yakima and Thule branded ones from their respective sites are limited. :tango_face_wink:

Here's a neat article. Most solutions are platform based, with very few dual rail based solutions for heavy load:
https://offroadtents.com/blogs/news/best-roof-racks-and-crossbars-for-your-roof-top-tent

I wanted the extended, but they weren't available at the time I purchased. I too may upgrade one day.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Subaru Extended

No, what I meant was, outside of the three options I mentioned (that being one of them), the Yakima and Thule branded ones from their respective sites are limited. :tango_face_wink:

Here's a neat article. Most solutions are platform based, with very few dual rail based solutions for heavy load:
https://offroadtents.com/blogs/news/best-roof-racks-and-crossbars-for-your-roof-top-tent

I wanted the extended, but they weren't available at the time I purchased. I too may upgrade one day.
I get what you are saying. Thanks for the info.

It would just be easiest to stick with the Subaru Aero Extended for now.

This car is making a major dent in my pocket :)

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,518 Posts
Where do you see that they are rated for 700lbs?
In the 2019 Subaru Ascent accessories guide. They are designed to match the load limit of the Ascentt. You will find that limit in the user manual for the Ascent.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts