Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$100 to install crossbars!?!?! What! This is def a DIY install.
My thoughts exactly. I'm looking at the instructions and I'm trying to figure out HOW I could mess it up.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I mean you could but it’s unlikey. The first drive will be a little scary but just follow the instructions, take a short drive and then check everything before you add something to it. It will be fine.

·
Registered
965 Posts
My thoughts exactly. I'm looking at the instructions and I'm trying to figure out HOW I could mess it up.
Simply because of how tall the car is, you may need a step-stool. Also, they are NOT the same size, so you have to watch out for that, trying to put them on the wrong end.

I've put many a Forester and Crosstrek Aero Cross Bar on - just loosen it up (and give it plenty of slack) BEFORE you put it up on the roof. Swing the pivoting ends around, hook them on, swing the pivoting ends back around, make sure all the pads are in place, and tighten.

Then go back and tighten AGAIN when you're done, and give the bars a good yank to make SURE they're tight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Simply because of how tall the car is, you may need a step-stool..
Agreed - maybe useful though I did it opening the back doors, pulling 2nd row forward and standing on the step or inside.

I'd also recommend putting a towel or piece of cardboard on the roof. And maybe even a sheet or blanket down the side under each attach point as you work. That little torque wrench flipped out of my hand several times and I feared I may have nicked the paint.

Speaking of that tool - can it be possible they misassembled mine so the the marking on the red flag was on the underside of it? Had to guess as I tightened.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'd also recommend putting a towel or piece of cardboard on the roof. And maybe even a sheet or blanket down the side under each attach point as you work. That little torque wrench flipped out of my hand several times and I feared I may have nicked the paint.

Great advice! I can completely envision my clumsy self dropping a tool or the bar itself on the roof! :lol:

·
Registered
553 Posts
I found the install manual for the aero crossbars and it seemed pretty easy to do. Also saw that the bars are MSRP $199 and then install would be another $100 or so.

Anyone have any thoughts on self install?

https://subaruonlineparts.com/docs/SOA843X010.pdf

You can do it - my salesperson nor I had never done it before. They gave them to me in a box when I picked the car up. We decided to do it rather then throw everything off by having to wait my turn in the Service Department. As someone else mentioned - one goes in the front and the other in the back. The thicker side of the crossbar faces front and are marked with an arrow "imprinted/stamped" on it in black and small print.

If you buy a cargo basket, you are going to end up having to reposition them.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Speaking of that tool - can it be possible they misassembled mine so the the marking on the red flag was on the underside of it? Had to guess as I tightened.
Nope. The red flag is supposed to be on the bottom, as they figure you're looking at it from underneath and reaching up into the sky.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nope. The red flag is supposed to be on the bottom, as they figure you're looking at it from underneath and reaching up into the sky.

Wow - and then totally NOT be able to see the screw head you're trying to reach. I did think that perhaps they meant me to turn my Subaru upside down. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Wow - and then totally NOT be able to see the screw head you're trying to reach. I did think that perhaps they meant me to turn my Subaru upside down. :tango_face_wink:
Well, obviously you would tighten it up where you can see it. Then after that, since it's just the 'torquing' portion, you should be able to do that from below. While it helps being able to see what you're doing, from having worked at the plant, there's lot of times (as in, daily when I was on trim line) that I would use tools without actually physically laying eyes on the bolts I was tightening.

·
Registered
87 Posts
$100 would be close to about an hour of shop labor. Really? And when you get it home and have to mount your equipment, you have to adjust the position. For my 2014 Forester, I got the aero bars and had to play with their position on the car and also adjust the position of the clamps on the Yakima Rocket Box to get the optimum set up. Seems to me this is a 100% DIY thing and having someone else install the bars is no advantage. Our Ascent had the bars on the roof when we picked up the car. I had to move them to get the box to fit in the right spot. I had to pack a little folding step stool to load things into the box. I have a taller one for the Ascent. BTW, when you put stuff up on the roof, try not to forget that it's there. I measured the overall height and printed out a label to stick on the dash in plain sight. This is something I did for my RV that is 11' 3" tall. There are YouTube videos that show what happens when you forget how tall your are. Not pretty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts