Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So was cleaning my shed out today and found my K&N cold air intake and AEM drop in filter for my 2018 wrx that I traded in for the Ascent. I was tempted to do the cold air because it actually looks like it would work with some minor modification but I didnt think it was worth the risk and probably would require tuning since it not specifically made for the Ascent. So I decided to install the AEM filter and it fit without a problem. I have not tested it out yet but I will tomorrow and post my feedback. I have to reset the ecu first and then ill give it a try. Heres some pictures. I did notice this weird net inside the intake box which I have never seen before. Anybody seen this before? Im guessing its extra protection from debris going inside.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
So was cleaning my shed out today and found my K&N cold air intake and AEM drop in filter for my 2018 wrx that I traded in for the Ascent. I was tempted to do the cold air because it actually looks like it would work with some minor modification but I didnt think it was worth the risk and probably would require tuning since it not specifically made for the Ascent. So I decided to install the AEM filter and it fit without a problem. I have not tested it out yet but I will tomorrow and post my feedback. I have to reset the ecu first and then ill give it a try. Heres some pictures. I did notice this weird net inside the intake box which I have never seen before. Anybody seen this before? Im guessing its extra protection from debris going inside.
Yeah, my Tacoma had that as well. I think it's just additional protection.

Why are you going to reset the ECU? Are you planning on just disconnecting the battery?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, my Tacoma had that as well. I think it's just additional protection.

Why are you going to reset the ECU? Are you planning on just disconnecting the battery?
Yea im going to disconnect the battery. I feel like anything that might affect air fuel ratios you should just reset ecu. Even though a drop in is not that serious and its just a habit and makes me feel better lol.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I will say that after looking at the stock air filter it seems pretty flimsy and cheap. Looks more like a cabin air filter quality
Subaru stock intakes and filters are usually good to 300 WHP without any need for anything. If you change them often, then you benefit from a clean filter vs nursing a higher $ aftermarket you don't really need. I know with my OBXT turbos, you need might need a tune if you changed flow.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Subaru stock intakes and filters are usually good to 300 WHP without any need for anything. If you change them often, then you benefit from a clean filter vs nursing a higher $ aftermarket you don't really need. I know with my OBXT turbos, you need might need a tune if you changed flow.
I ran both drop in filter and cold air intake on my wrx without a tune and had no issues. I doubt you really need a tune for drop in but I'll agree that a tune will help get the most out the modification because without a tune then it's really just for sound. I had a cold air on my wrx just to hear the turbo lol.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I finally got a chance to take the car out and heres my take so far.
I doubt there is any performance benefit as the car did not feel any faster, but maybe the ecu is still learning. Theres no sound difference either. The only thing I noticed is that acceleration is alot smoother, there is less of jumpy car but the con to that is the car doesnt feel so peppy on acceleration because it took all of the jumpy throttle out of the equation which might mean less fun. I'll give it a few more days to see if things change. Today is pretty calm in terms of weather so I drove without the AC on for the first time in a long time so maybe its smoother due to that. I'll keep people posted.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so took a road trip with the AEM filter and so I've decided to keep it in. My wife drove the car for a little bit and she thinks the car is little too fast with it in now. She agrees that take off is alot smoother but the car has more pick up at higher speeds and she kept finding herself going about 15mph faster than she wanted to. was able to get 25mpg with AEM installed which is the highest ive seen so far.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Question did you take out the Carbon Element, I did not and my mileage over the cold weather seems to have drop to 18-19 mixed driving. I got 26 in the summer with AC at 70 once. I also run premium since I charge gas to the company I work for, figure it has more additives to keep carbon build up out, but might be hurting mileage running to lean. Thanks.

Ok so took a road trip with the AEM filter and so I've decided to keep it in. My wife drove the car for a little bit and she thinks the car is little too fast with it in now. She agrees that take off is alot smoother but the car has more pick up at higher speeds and she kept finding herself going about 15mph faster than she wanted to. was able to get 25mpg with AEM installed which is the highest ive seen so far.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Question did you take out the Carbon Element, I did not and my mileage over the cold weather seems to have drop to 18-19 mixed driving. I got 26 in the summer with AC at 70 once. I also run premium since I charge gas to the company I work for, figure it has more additives to keep carbon build up out, but might be hurting mileage running to lean. Thanks.
I did not take out that element and I also dropped due to cold weather. I was getting around the same and I dropped from 26-27 to about 23-24 . Not sure why you dropped so much but I doubt its due to the Carbon Element. Have you checked your filter lately. Im guessing due to the large spaces in the grille lots of things are able to just be sucked into the filter. I happen to check mine once and found an abundance of leaves and bugs stuck inside of mine. Take my data with a grain of salt but Ive been on 93 for about the past 2000 miles or so and from my data the air fuel ratios stay about the same regardless of octane.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Interesting after posting this I receive a new video message from youtube, Do Charcoal Air Filter Rob Your Engine Of Horsepower? His recommendation was to leave it in to remain emissions complaint.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ok thanks, so I am similar with slightly lower fuel economy, but I have Yakima Cross bars and ski rack up top as well that would maybe account for this. I also think that in big cities there is more emissions additives to fuel. Thanks!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Super interesting video. I wonder if the difference would be different on a turbo vs NA. I might be a test dummy and take mine off and see what happens. I am planning on Cold air intake in the summer but I might give this a try.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Let me in how it works out! Can it be reinstalled for emission testing. Thanks.
It cannot be reinstalled but at least here in New York they wont be checking for things like this. Good news is that I ordered a new OEM intake(just the upper part) and it cost me $41 with shipping so if I have to revert back to stock it will literally take me 5 mins.

Going to edit this post and say if you use a razor blade like I did and cut it out slow and carefully. You maybe able to glue it back perfectly without any issues but I'd have to try it first and see how it holds up with a very strong glue

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.