Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to move the back aero crossbar back a bit from where the dealer installed it. I found the OEM instructions and a youtube video on how to install them online and it looked very straightforward. But when I loosened the top screw that secures them them with the tool provided, I was unable to get the bottom plate that wraps around the sidebars to drop down or even loosen as it should, so I was unable to slide it back. Does anyone know if there is a trick to this or maybe its just really stuck together and I need to push/pry a little harder to get it to open up? This is a 2019 Ascent Limited delivered to the dealer in early may of this year. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,515 Posts
Loosen the top screw with an Allen bit in a driver. Leave the bit in the screw head. Tap the top of the driver until the bottom plate pops down. Repeat on the other side.

Then, slide the crossbars, make sure the bottom plate is in place while tightening the top screw.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Loosen the top screw with an Allen bit in a driver. Leave the bit in the screw head. Tap the top of the driver until the bottom plate pops down. Repeat on the other side.

Then, slide the crossbars, make sure the bottom plate is in place while tightening the top screw.
Robert, thanks for the tip. I had a similar experience last week when I removed my crossbars after using our car-top carrier on our Ascent for the first time. Took me a while to get the the bottom plate to drop down -- I used a flat blade screwdriver to gently pry the bottom plate away from the crossbar. This worked for me, although I will try Robert's method next time I need to remove the crossbars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts