Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fabric shade that covers the moonroof stops the sunlight, yes but if I touch it it's quite warm, and my kids complain that in the back it takes long to cool down. Not complaining here, just wondering what else could be done (besides the ceramic tinting which reflects energy but doesn't stop it from conducting heat).
A quick search online revealed that Tesla owners get many different products to cover their panoramic sunroofs, but for some reason people that own other vehicles don't deserve any attention and couldn't find anything for other vehicles (well, there's a magnetic thing that sticks from outside, no thanks, I don't want to scratch my paint and the moment a tip lifts with the wind, that thing will fly off...).
I was thinking of using regular bubble insulation like this one from Lowes:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-...ive-Roll-Insulation-48-in-W-x-25-ft-L/3011906

Cutting it to shape and putting it above the fabric... has anyone done anything like this? I could even hang it from the glass with good suction cups so it doesn't touch the fabric (the last thing I want to do is to jam the mechanism).
Another thing I thought of (riskier...) was to put a thermal blanket over the fabric, and since it's so thin, see if it rolls together with the fabric... not so sure how that's going to work.

Any comments? Has anyone done something similar?

·
Registered
609 Posts
#1 reason we didn't get the sunroof, lol. I would be careful what you do as the extra heat can cause the glass to expand and crack or shatter. I assume you have talked to a tint shop? My tint guy provides heat rejecting ceramic tint for a premium price. However, the last vehicle he tinted for us he wouldn't guarantee the sunroof wouldn't crack or shatter ( it was a honda that was encased in metal). He happily tinted our previous Subaru sunroofs though, so it maybe just a brand/model issue, but we have never had a panoramic roof.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Even with the sunroof, it shouldn't add much more time to cooling the car off. You might want to check to make sure that your ( rear) air conditioning doesn't have any issues. Mine is going in tomorrow for service, because it takes 10 minutes before cool air will blow out of the vents.
I'm always surprised by the anti sunroof sentiment. It's not like this is a sports car, so it doesn't really affect handling, and I like the option of being able to tilt or have the panel open depending on the weather. It's a device that, in theory, is about as simple as a power window.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I certainly don't want to crack the glass, but something reflective behind the glass, not necessarily touching it like the film, should behave in my view not too different from the shades we put on our windshield. I never heard a windshield cracking because of shades put inside, but who knows. There's quite a few products for Tesla owners, so it seems at least Tesla's sunroof doesn't crack because of it.
The sunroof is most useful in winter, when it's nice to get a little warm sunlight in, and tinting would simply prevent those weak sun rays from getting through. That's why I think insulation may help cope with the scorching summer heat and simply be removed and tucked away as soon as the sun loses its strength around October.

I didn't mean to start a war sunroof vs no sunroof. I like it certain months and dislike it certain others so I don't expect there will ever be agreement on whether it's good or bad, when I can't even make up my own mind about it.

I was hoping that somebody had already done this and could tell me "yes, it works" or "no, it made no practical difference". I guess I'll just have to give it a shot and see...

·
Registered
609 Posts
You could always get a couple of those extra large windshield sun visors and see if they make any difference.

Something like this:

I live in Florida where it is summer 9 months out of the year, and my wife leaves the car parked at her school all day in direct sunlight, so that was most of our thinking when we decided against the sunroof. If it wasn't for that and the price was the same we would have gotten it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts