Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I have a 2019 Ascent Touring w/ the factory hitch installed and the 7 pin connector. I installed a Redarc trailer brake controller. The trailer I am renting has a battery for dry camping. When I hooked it up the trailer to the car, the Redarc controller blinks red. The support team at Redarc tells me it is because the ground on the 7 pin and the factory wiring is not beefy enough to for the additional battery on the camper. Sure enough, that is confirmed when I disconnect the camper battery and the blinking goes away. Has anybody run into this, and if so, where do I install the additional ground wire?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I have not seen a trailer that doesn't have a battery, regardless if you are dry camping or not. My last two trailers all had a battery on them, usually an inexpensive group 24 flooded type battery, so it's not at all unique. Matter of fact, finding a camping trailer without one would be hard to do. Regardless, the ground pin on the 7 pin OEM connector on the Ascent is certainly beefy enough to handle the battery on your trailer, unless there is some unique aspect to your trailer battery that I'm missing. What is the specific trailer you are renting and what type of battery does it have? I've heard of no one on this forum who tows that has had this issue, and we have quite a few people who do tow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The trailer is a Jayco X17z, and the battery is a 12V Interstate battery. It is nothing out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Hey All,

I have a 2019 Ascent Touring w/ the factory hitch installed and the 7 pin connector. I installed a Redarc trailer brake controller. The trailer I am renting has a battery for dry camping. When I hooked it up the trailer to the car, the Redarc controller blinks red. The support team at Redarc tells me it is because the ground on the 7 pin and the factory wiring is not beefy enough to for the additional battery on the camper. Sure enough, that is confirmed when I disconnect the camper battery and the blinking goes away. Has anybody run into this, and if so, where do I install the additional ground wire?
ground wire size calculator

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
We charge our battery all the time, including while using the car's power to run stuff in the trailer. Perhaps there's a bad connection on your setup? I've seen some improperly connected harnesses.

You should be able to pull 18 amps.

Do you know how much your setup draws?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Its certainly possible the ground was put in a poorly chosen spot or it's not connected at all. You would need to trace the wiring back and see where it goes.

First I would check the state of charge on the battery. Then get a trailer connector tester and see if the problem is on the ascent side or trailer side.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Its certainly possible the ground was put in a poorly chosen spot or it's not connected at all. You would need to trace the wiring back and see where it goes.

First I would check the state of charge on the battery. Then get a trailer connector tester and see if the problem is on the ascent side or trailer side.
On top of Ruben's excellent advice, there's a another connection point you need to check (if you don't first find the problem elsewhere), and that's the harness connection inside the Driver's side rear quarter panel.

If you had this factory or dealer installed, I'd do exactly what Ruben said, and first check battery, then use a trailer connector tester (Amazon has 7 pin and 4 pin ones really cheap) - and if you find anything wrong in either test, bring it in for them to fix.

If you did the install, I'd start with checking every connection on the harnesses involved in powering the 7 pin and 4 pin. You will find instructions on how to get to the harness connection in the hitch installation manual.

This is for v4 of the hitch, but the instructions for the wiring portion apply to all versions.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
The trailer is a Jayco X17z, and the battery is a 12V Interstate battery. It is nothing out of the ordinary.
I'm towing a 2019 Jayco 154BH Baja as I write this (well, I'm in an RV Park and stopped), and have never had an issue regarding my Interstate battery and it affecting the performance of my Tekonsha Prodigy 3 brake controller. As previously stated, there must be an issue with your specific setup as it should easily accommodate your towing needs and work with your brake controller, assuming there isn't anything wrong with the brake controller itself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts