Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted this in the Facebook group but because of the nature of Facebook it quickly got buried so I wanted to crosspost here with a more permanent thread.

I'm thinking about trying to add the front-view camera standard on the Touring trim to the Limited. Based on the WRX thread I'm hopeful it may work because the Limited has steering-responsive headlights.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
I want to see the back of the upper display to see if it has side camera inputs like some of the WRXs in Australia.

Alas, I don't want to see it so much that I'd rip apart my own dash, lol!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If anyone is also interested, I am within weeks of providing a complete aftermarket solution that will provide a front grill camera for the Limited (and other trims) as well as a highly sophisticated, full-featured, Andriod Lollipop based, GPS enabled, front and rear Dashcam (three camera system). With my design, you can also add more wired cameras for 360 degrees coverage, as many as you want, and you can even add WiFi wireless cameras for something like an RV, which I also plan to do.

I've been working on it all winter in my limited spare time. The system is now completely designed, installed, and tested. It looks and works great. I've been using it for about a month in my Ascent and I love it. I've already written a complete installation guide which I plan to post very soon in this forum.

The only thing that was holding me up was obtaining a reliable source for the digital front grill camera which was difficult because unlike most available cameras, it had to be mirrored. Yes, I know that sounds backward but it actually isn't since the software reverses the image, I'll explain everything soon. This camera proved difficult to find, but working with an automotive camera supplier in China, where all of these cameras originate, I was finally able to source and order one just a few days ago. It should arrive soon. If it tests well, I'll then release all of the information anyone needs to install the entire system in their Ascent. The cost will be under $200 for everything. I'm not selling this system, if you want to duplicate it, you buy all the parts yourself and I'll provide the instructions on how to assemble and install it. It's 95% plug and play. Some assembly required.

Since the system is Andriod based, you will also be able to add whatever apps you like such as Waze or an OBDII based application to monitor your engine and electronics such as Torque. You can do most anything with this that you can do to with any Andriod based system such as your Andriod smartphone, in fact, it's based upon smartphone electronics. It'll be like having a small Android tablet dedicated to your Ascent which is also a front grill cam and a dual front and rear recording dashcam. The geek in you will love it.

Here are the specs:

- MediaTek MT6735 64-bit Quad-Core 4G LTE platform based on the ARM® Cortex® -A53 64-bit processor with ARM Mali -T720 graphics.
- 16GB onboard memory
- 1 GB RAM
- 32 GB expandable SD memory
- 7” IPS 1280x480 Touch screen display
- 1920x1080p Front Dashcam camera 5.0M image sensor, 140 degrees wide angle
- Digital rear camera, 140 degrees wide angle
- Digital front grill camera, 140 degrees wide angle
- GPS
- Bluetooth & WiFi Connectivity
- 4G Connectivity
- 1080p 30 frames/sec video encoding/decoding
- FM Transmitter
- Dual Cam simultaneous recording, front dashcam and rear/front grill cam switchable
- Dual Cam simultaneous view, and all cams viewable via hardware/software switching
- Expandable to many more wired cameras
- WiFi camera capable
- Auto reverse parking selectivity
- Parking monitor
- G-Sensor
- Microphone with noise canceling
- ADAS Advanced Driving Assistant System
- Android Lollipop OS

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
How does it compare to this one? I'd rather not buy from China, so, let me know.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-0-FHD-An...AS-Dual-Lens-DVR-Camera-GPS-Navi/143083256058

Or this? I've been looking at this one for a while.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Jun...mera-GPS-Android-5-1-RAM-1GB/32827723458.html

That looks to be the exact same unit except for some cosmetics, although I can't say for certain. There appears to be many such similar units available rebranded. There also appears to be the same electronics/software available in many similar forms. All should work. With the Junsun, be aware that the unit cannot be folded down without disabling the front dash camera. The other unit can still continue to record folded down.

I understand your trepidations about ordering directly from China, I was concerned about this too, however, AliExpress has proven to be quite easy and reliable and they have a very good if not perfect reputation. You'll pay a lot less ordering from them, but the only major caveat is the delivery time which can be over a month. I have not yet found a single US stocked source for these. Even when ordered from Amazon or eBay, they will always ship from China or Hong Kong.

For your Touring trim, you do not need the front grill camera and thus can install this as is (unless you want to add another wired camera elsewhere). For those who require a front grill or other cameras, you'll need a way to switch between them because these units only have one external camera input. I'll cover that in detail when I post the installation instructions. Also, I've figured out the entire wire paths so that none of the wires are visible.

The only warning I'll give to those who want to try this before my testing is complete is that this needs to be dash top mounted. Subaru instructs not to mount anything on the top of the dash due to the EyeSight system. Since the dash top is not in view of the EyeSight cameras, what they're concerned about is reflections in the windshield which is in view. So far, after about a month of testing, both day and night, this installation has caused no apparent issues with the EyeSight system which is a good sign, but I'm still testing. This unit is primarily black in color and does not cause any more reflections than the dash top itself, except at night when the lighted screen can be seen reflected in the windshield. This has thus far caused no issues with the EyeSight system but I can't say with certainty it won't. The reflections can be easily remedied with a simple display shield for which I'll also provide instructions for, or the display can very easily be turned on and off at night by the switch located right in front.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you get anywhere with this? I am very curious and hopeful that it is as simple as hooking up the touring camera to the back of the screen somewhere.

I had posted this in the Facebook group but because of the nature of Facebook it quickly got buried so I wanted to crosspost here with a more permanent thread.

I'm thinking about trying to add the front-view camera standard on the Touring trim to the Limited. Based on the WRX thread I'm hopeful it may work because the Limited has steering-responsive headlights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your solution is impressive, and I appreciate the time you took to write your how-to, I’m sure other DIYers will benefit from it. Unfortunately for me it is overkill. I don’t want to add anything else to my dash, I just want to see if the touring front grill cam can be plugged to the top screen on my Limited and if it would magically detect it and work the same way it does on the touring.

It is more for parking in tight spots than anything else, and if the outcome is “it can’t be done”, I might either add front aftermarket parking sensors with a switch that would be hidden somewhere or I might just live with it.

Subaru should just enhance their software to also use their eyesight tech to help when parking (moving forward). But regardless, I’m extremely happy with my limited and don’t really need to change anything (I’m just a tinkerer like many in this forum). Your dash cam solution speaks to my inner geek but the YAGNI principle just won’t let me pull the trigger.

Did you get anywhere with this? I am very curious and hopeful that it is as simple as hooking up the touring camera to the back of the screen somewhere.
Here is everything you need to know to add a front grill camera to the Ascent as well as a front/rear dash cam.

Front Grill Camera and Dash Cam Mod for the Ascent

This has all been tested and works perfectly.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Your solution is impressive, and I appreciate the time you took to write your how-to, I’m sure other DIYers will benefit from it. Unfortunately for me it is overkill. I don’t want to add anything else to my dash, I just want to see if the touring front grill cam can be plugged to the top screen on my Limited and if it would magically detect it and work the same way it does on the touring.

It is more for parking in tight spots than anything else, and if the outcome is “it can’t be done”, I might either add front aftermarket parking sensors with a switch that would be hidden somewhere or I might just live with it.

Subaru should just enhance their software to also use their eyesight tech to help when parking (moving forward). But regardless, I’m extremely happy with my limited and don’t really need to change anything (I’m just a tinkerer like many in this forum). Your dash cam solution speaks to my inner geek but the YAGNI principle just won’t let me pull the trigger.
I was driven to add this to my Limited because, in addition to the front grill cam, I really wanted a rear liftgate cam and most importantly a front/rear dash cam. I understand it's not for everyone, but I offer to those who may want all the extras.

I hope you find a solution for what you want.

·
Registered
17 Posts
So just for anyone looking at this looking for an answer, seems like you cannot hook up a touring front camera into the top display in the Limited without venturing into also getting a touring display (and anything else that may come with that). So I guess for me, it's either aftermarket front parking sensors, or nothing at all, and at the moment I'm good with no changes.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I want to see the back of the upper display to see if it has side camera inputs like some of the WRXs in Australia.

Alas, I don't want to see it so much that I'd rip apart my own dash, lol!

upper display looks to be same on

Subaru Ascent 2.4L Limited 7-Passenger w/EyeSight 2019
Subaru Ascent 2.4L Limited 8-Passenger w/EyeSight 2019
Subaru Ascent 2.4L Touring w/EyeSight 2019

PN 85261XC110

in Australia Foresters have Front and Side cameras ....
ill be happy if i can add front one to mine ...

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hmm. I wonder if this would work on a 2019 Forester. I can see a small cutout in the front grille where a camera would go...

·
Registered
680 Posts
Also (WIRING HARNESS (MAIN). FRONT). looks to be same on all models
but HARNESS-INSTRUMENT PANEL is different on Touring, so likely will have to do custom patch for camera and new button (or spend $400 on Touring Harness and take whole car dashboard apart)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also (WIRING HARNESS (MAIN). FRONT). looks to be same on all models
but HARNESS-INSTRUMENT PANEL is different on Touring, so likely will have to do custom patch for camera and new button (or spend $400 on Touring Harness and take whole car dashboard apart)
So is HARNESS-INSTRUMENT PANEL different because of the camera or the cooled seats?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looking at the FB link above that contains the only picture on the internet of the harness in an Ascent, there is something else that the camera 86357XC000 plugs into. What is it and where does it go? Because the "HARNESS-INSTRUMENT PANEL" that denissh posted does not appear to be it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think it's possible, the steering responsive headlight harness appears to be the same across the Limited and Touring. Aka, the connector might just be hidden.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts